U2 vs. Radiohead

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Actually, the word I think I would use to describe Radiohead's music is sterile. And not in a "can't give birth" sort of way. More in a "clean, cold white operating room" sort of way. Like a medical lab on a space station.... Bright, but full of panic.

Rob33 said:
omg, Axver, you hate ultraviolet? ohhh :sigh: ...what you like and dislike just confuses the hell out of me haha...oh well

The chorus strikes me as a foreshadowing of boybands. I can just imagine the Backstreet Boys harmonising it. Cringeworthy.

Axver said:

The chorus strikes me as a foreshadowing of boybands. I can just imagine the Backstreet Boys harmonising it. Cringeworthy.

I remember when we could sleep on stones
But now we lie together, in whispers and moans

Come on, the Backstreet Boys wish they could write something that good. :drool:

BonoVoxSupastar said:
:lol:

This has to be the weirdest of your posts...

You back up most of what you are arguing against, which is just fucking funny.

And a sidenote, not much of new Radiohead has melody, so I wouldn't mention that in your argument.

Listen, I love Radiohead, but your comparisons are just weird at the most...

What am i backing up? What am i arguing against? I'm just saying if you're a U2 fan that loves music and melodies, then give the new Radiohead a chance. They're not just "noise". And I was pointing out to whoever said that Radiohead's music occupies one spectrum, that most bands do tread the same waters overall, so to knock Radiohead because they have a familiar "sound" is foolish, because you can say the same thing about any band. I was just pointing out that it's a stupid argument.

The new Radiohead doesn't have melody? Are you musically retarded? Thom Yorke seldom sings the same melody twice on all of their new album, and most of the songs have background voices and melodies to match, that hit unexpected notes, dancing around the chords in a much jazzier way, unlike the new U2 where Bono bashes the same banal, obvious cheesy melody into your head for 3 and a half minutes until you feel like going out and stabbing someone with an AIDS infected needle.

Weird enough for ya?

ozeeko said:

unlike the new U2 where Bono bashes the same banal, obvious cheesy melody into your head for 3 and a half minutes until you feel like going out and stabbing someone with an AIDS infected needle.

Oh you look so beautiful tonight
In the city of blinding lights

:drool: :drool: :drool:

ozeeko said:

Thom Yorke seldom sings the same melody twice on all of their new album,

I'm not even sure what you mean by this. If you mean that there is rarely a consitent melody throughout a song, then you've just backed me up.

dancing around the chords in a much jazzier way

I agree with this, and jazz isn't really known for it's melodies, it's a much more impovisation form of music.

Of course almost anything can be defined as a melody, but a good melody is one that is memorable and palatable.

In Rainbows is a great album, but I would never describe it as an album of good melodies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melody

Last edited:
LemonMelon said:
I remember when we could sleep on stones
But now we lie together, in whispers and moans

Come on, the Backstreet Boys wish they could write something that good. :drool:

So? That's not the chorus, and thus not my point.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

I'm not even sure what you mean by this. If you mean that there is rarely a consitent melody throughout a song, then you've just backed me up.

I agree with this, and jazz isn't really known for it's melodies, it's a much more impovisation form of music.

Of course almost anything can be defined as a melody, but a good melody is one that is memorable and palatable.

In Rainbows is a great album, but I would never describe it as an album of good melodies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melody

Well...there's simple melodies and there's subtle melodies. Both can be equally good. I prefer Radiohead's subtle melodies to U2's recent hideous simple melodies, but still i was just pointing out that Radiohead's new album is chock full of great melodies, whether its the main vocals, backup vocals, or the instruments themselves making them. You said the new Radiohead didn't have many melodies, and what i meant in my response was there are tons of new melodies on In Rainbows, and yes Thom does change it up when he sings, seldom ever being locked into a concrete mainstream melody. He repeats things, yes, but usually changes it slightly by altering notes and what not, keeping it fresh and interesting.

For great melodies check out: the song "House Of Cards" - which has probably the easiest melodies to grasp on the first lesson. During the last chorus, as Thom croons the word "denial", in the background you hear the other members harmonizing "your ears should be burning", and right on the word "burning" is Thom Yorke topping everything off with a ghostly, heartbreaking falsetto, one that Bono himself would be proud of, giving an unexpected heavenly lift to the song. it climaxes in melodic and harmonic ecstacy.

Zootlesque said:
House Of Cards :combust:

House Of Cards > anything on Bomb.

Fuck yea. I think In Rainbows is Radiohead at their most melodic. I mean, it's no where near reaching the melodic heights of "Vertigo", but maybe one day they'll get there.

(sarcasm)

Lights, go down, it's dark, the jungle yadda yadda...

That's two notes, up and down, up and down, for what seems like an eternity.

But it's catchy upon first listen, therefore it must be better.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

No one's arguing that...

Hey, some of the worst songs have the catchiest melodies. "Oh Mickey you're so fine", "Mmmbop", "Shiny Happy People", "Come on Barbie let's go party...I'M A BARBIE GIRL...."

come on, everybody. sing with me!

ozeeko said:

Hey, some of the worst songs have the catchiest melodies. "Oh Mickey you're so fine", "Mmmbop", "Shiny Happy People", "Come on Barbie let's go party...I'M A BARBIE GIRL...."

come on, everybody. sing with me!

Yes and some of the best songs don't have great melodies.

I agree House Of Cards > Anything on The Bomb (though SYCMIOYO is high quality

but...

Beautiful Day > Anything Radiohead have ever done

intedomine said:
I agree House Of Cards > Anything on The Bomb (though SYCMIOYO is high quality

but...

Beautiful Day > Anything Radiohead have ever done

Beautiful Day, to me was great the first 30 times i heard it. At this point though, honestly, i could go ten years without hearing it, no problem. The funny thing about 2000+ U2 music is that I don't get that replay desire. There are some great songs off ATYCLB, and Fast Cars is a banging track, but still, once i've heard them enough times, they fail to really do anything for me in the longrun.

On the other hand, "Running To Stand Still", "Bad", "Mysterious Ways", "Lemon" (yes, Lemon), definitely head and shoulders above Radiohead's entire output. I need to hear these songs at least once a week, to get my fix.

Reckoner is the best song on In Rainbows. Strong beat, strong melodies, real string orchestra. :drool:

totally agree with the above Reckoner statement awsome track cant get enough of it. Does anyone else think Yorke's falsetto sounds just like Bono (when he could sing falsetto that is actully one of my friends was he is doing a good early 90's Bono impresion)

Reckoner > All I Need

I think in rainbows is pretty excellent maybe radioheads second best album (we will have to wait for the rest of the tracks when the box set is released) but I am not a fan of Videotape (the electronic drum beat meant to be different and cool is just anoying and Fuast Arp is pretty bad)

In rainbows is really better made than alot of HTDAAB I wont lie and 4 of the songs are better than anything on HTDAAB but HTDAAB has better vocals even though Yorke sounds good on in rainbows. On HTDAAB bono's voice just has not top to it really confident vocals form B definately

Last edited:
ozeeko said:

Lights, go down, it's dark, the jungle yadda yadda...

That's two notes, up and down, up and down, for what seems like an eternity.

But it's catchy upon first listen, therefore it must be better.

first of I'd like to say that, Sad Punk, that was perfect timing, and quite possibly the most enjoyable post to read in this entire thread :hmm:

now, OZEEKO!!! so you're just going to simplify vertigo down to that? :huh:

vertigo does more to a stadium crowd than radiohead does in an entire show...there must be something more to it than "two notes, up and down" :rolleyes:

and I'll take SYCMIOYO over pretty much anything radiohead has ever done...just listen to a radiohead song, then listen to Sometimes...don't you notice something??? you just can't compare the two.....:sigh:

Last edited:
They're such different bands, people. There is no way to compare them. It's like dividing 4 by E, and then painting a picture with a gun of the resulting car crash of ants and apricots.

Rob33 said:

and I'll take SYCMIOYO over pretty much anything radiohead has ever done...just listen to a radiohead song, then listen to Sometimes...don't you notice something??? you just can't compare the two.....:sigh:

I know what you mean

sometimes is boring and cheesy as hell

"and its you when I look in the mirror":blahblah:

:(

'Sometimes' is U2 at their most bland.

But...

the tourist said:
They're such different bands, people. There is no way to compare them. It's like dividing 4 by E, and then painting a picture with a gun of the resulting car crash of ants and apricots.

.. is what I think.

Earnie Shavers said:
'Sometimes' is U2 at their most bland.

But...

.. is what I think.

Glad to know I'm agreed with. And I had fun trying to pick the most random things to compare. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom