U2 vs. Radiohead

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
U2 87-97 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> R-Hed 97-07

and I'm a Radiohead fan....

Zootlesque said:
Well duh! If you compare U2 87-97, very few things can beat that!

That's what I'm saying. If we're gonna compare Radiohead to U2, let's at least be fair to Radiohead, since they didn't even come on the scene until U2 was already like 12 years going strong. To say that U2 is better than Radiohead because of the length of their career is kinda silly, because DUH...what I just said b4. So, for me it's better to compare Radiohead's music with different phases of U2's career. I definitely agree that U2's heyday beats Radiohead. But if we're gonna compare the last decade, from POP/OK COMPUTER to now, Radiohead is much much better.

Earnie Shavers said:

do you think, for starters, that Pop is a better record than OK Computer?

Probably. I'd probably think so if I would bother listening to OK Computer.

Do you think Popmart was a better tour than whatever crappy show Radiohead put on back in those days?

sorry to be so frank about it all, but U2 is better, they just are...regardless of what era you liked the most, blah blah blah...U2 is simply the superior band...how do you even begin to compare the sounds, the instruments, the voices, the melodies, everything about the music...they are JUST BETTER...i can't say it any other way, but I just said it like 5 times, I hope you get it...

NEXT!!!

BrownEyedBoy said:

Probably. I'd probably think so if I would bother listening to OK Computer.

Do you think Popmart was a better tour than whatever crappy show Radiohead put on back in those days?

If you never bothered to listen to OK Computer then how can you say that? And you should YouTube some Radiohead live performances...they rock live. And they actually try out new material on their audiences, something U2 hasn't attempted since the late 70's.

Rob33 said:
sorry to be so frank about it all, but U2 is better, they just are...regardless of what era you liked the most, blah blah blah...U2 is simply the superior band...how do you even begin to compare the sounds, the instruments, the voices, the melodies, everything about the music...they are JUST BETTER...i can't say it any other way, but I just said it like 5 times, I hope you get it...

NEXT!!!

If instruments, voices and melodies are what you're all about, why not give Radiohead a chance?

In Rainbows is sticking with me much more than HTDAAB did. Mind you, the latter is over 3 years old.

Right now, I'd say my favourite band to listen to is Radiohead. But my favourite all-time band is U2, followed closely by Dave Matthews Band.

Rob33 said:

NEXT!!!

Wow. U2 are better because they're... better.

Solid argument. :up:

U2 still have a song since '97 that R-Hed haven't come close to matching it's brilliance, that song being Beautiful Day......so incredibly moving and powerful.

U2 still have a song since '97 that R-Hed haven't come close to matching it's brilliance, that song being Beautiful Day......so incredibly moving and powerful.

I know that we're all meant to respect each others opinions in this silly thread and I'm not really a big Radiohead fan at all, but seriously, anything on Kid A murders Beautiful Day. Especially when you see the strength of a song in how 'moving' it is.

I think the rest of their career has been up and down, but the whole ride of Kid A is just about perfect.

I'm ready for the bashing ... I like Radiohead, but IMO, Kid A is totally overrated. In fact, I haven't listend to it in years and have no desire to do so.

I've listened to In Rainbows a lot in recent months and have reached the point now where I've simply grown tired of Thom's voice, seriously, right now it's kind of creeping me out.

As for emotions, I take U2 over RH any day. Really any day. I guess I'd take them over any other band any day. :wink:

They're not trying to accomplish the same thing musically. Generally speaking, it would seem that U2 makes their music from a place of extroversion, while Radiohead makes their music from a place of introverison. Now, this isn't a 100% foolproof thesis, but I think it holds true most of the time. U2 wants to scream their music from the rooftops and they want every single person on the planet to be singing along with them. Radiohead doesn't neccessarily have anything against that, but surely they have a big soft spot for the kid in the back corner of the classroom lost in a pair of headphones, or the person awake a 3AM sitting on a couch lost in a pair of headphones while their family sleeps, or the person sitting on a long airplane flight in the night lost in a pair of headphones.

Like I said before, I know that this isn't foolproof...I'm sure there are people in classroom corners, on couches, or on airplanes, lost in a pair of headphones listening to U2 too....but I'm talking in generalizations to make a point.

Radiohead seeks to make music that will seep through your skin into your bloodstream, flow through your body like a virus, weigh you down, make you implode under the weight of its brilliance. At the conclusion of a song or album, you might sit motionless in reaction to what you just heard.

U2 seeks to make music that will attack the exterior of your body, make you wanna jump up and down, pump your fists in the air, shake your head back and forth, scream, just explode, because its brilliance is too much to contain inside of you. At the conclusion of a song or album, you might be unable to stop running/jumping/screaming/singing, unable to shake the excitement and energy you feel, in reaction to what you just heard.

It's different kinds of brilliance.

You can't attempt to squeeze orange juice out of an orange and an apple and say 'The orange is better at producing orange juice'.

last unicorn said:
I'm ready for the bashing ... I like Radiohead, but IMO, Kid A is totally overrated. In fact, I haven't listend to it in years and have no desire to do so.

I've listened to In Rainbows a lot in recent months and have reached the point now where I've simply grown tired of Thom's voice, seriously, right now it's kind of creeping me out.

As for emotions, I take U2 over RH any day. Really any day. I guess I'd take them over any other band any day. :wink:

:up:

yes unicorn, you are right on...his voice just doesn't grab me like Bono's, and even when it does, It doesn't keep me :shrug:

ozeeko, it's not that I'm not giving Radiohead a chance, it's simply that everything I look for in extraordinary music/art I see in U2 more so than Radiohead..they are a great band no question, but I simply can't place them in the same category as U2...U2's influence on music in general over the past 27 years or so is absolutely astounding, and incomparable to anything else currently out there...I've seen many people post the following comment regarding U2 on youtube many a time: "This band is from another planet," and I can't help it but to agree...

Look, diemen and others...Radiohead just doesn't affect me nearly as much musically or in anyway for that matter the way U2 influences me and my own music...that's the bottom line! there is no logical argumentation that can explain this, I'm sorry!

ohhhh this discussion will just never end :yawn: , go on, reply with something...:corn:

namkcuR said:
They're not trying to accomplish the same thing musically. Generally speaking, it would seem that U2 makes their music from a place of extroversion, while Radiohead makes their music from a place of introverison. Now, this isn't a 100% foolproof thesis, but I think it holds true most of the time. U2 wants to scream their music from the rooftops and they want every single person on the planet to be singing along with them. Radiohead doesn't neccessarily have anything against that, but surely they have a big soft spot for the kid in the back corner of the classroom lost in a pair of headphones, or the person awake a 3AM sitting on a couch lost in a pair of headphones while their family sleeps, or the person sitting on a long airplane flight in the night lost in a pair of headphones.

Like I said before, I know that this isn't foolproof...I'm sure there are people in classroom corners, on couches, or on airplanes, lost in a pair of headphones listening to U2 too....but I'm talking in generalizations to make a point.

Radiohead seeks to make music that will seep through your skin into your bloodstream, flow through your body like a virus, weigh you down, make you implode under the weight of its brilliance. At the conclusion of a song or album, you might sit motionless in reaction to what you just heard.

U2 seeks to make music that will attack the exterior of your body, make you wanna jump up and down, pump your fists in the air, shake your head back and forth, scream, just explode, because its brilliance is too much to contain inside of you. At the conclusion of a song or album, you might be unable to stop running/jumping/screaming/singing, unable to shake the excitement and energy you feel, in reaction to what you just heard.

You can't attempt to squeeze orange juice out of an orange and an apple and say 'The orange is better at producing orange juice'.

hmm..:hmm: very well put my friend...thanks for that read, good insight...I enjoyed it :)

no songs since 97????

how to disappear, national anthem, there there, everything in right place, idioteque, 2+2=5, and my favourite where i end and you begin
with new stuff bodysnatchers, all i need

no trying to compare or anything like,just i think that radiohead made some songs in post ok computer era

namkcuR said:

that is a great post. it sums up how i feel about music and music snobs, completely.

to put it in even more simpler terms, "to each their own"

Pero said:
no songs since 97????

how to disappear, national anthem, there there, everything in right place, idioteque, 2+2=5, and my favourite where i end and you begin
with new stuff bodysnatchers, all i need

no trying to compare or anything like,just i think that radiohead made some songs in post ok computer era

True, though I'd go as far as to argue that they only started releasing good songs from 97 (OKC) onward, cause their first two albums are middle-of-the-road Brit Rock and are utter garbage comapred with the outp[ut of some of their British contempories (Verve, Oasis, Blur).

I'm gonna get killed....

I haven't heard all of Radiohead's catalog yet, so I have no clue when their heyday was or if they've even hit it yet or whatever. So no killing from me :).

bombergirl1978 said:
that is a great post. it sums up how i feel about music and music snobs, completely.

to put it in even more simpler terms, "to each their own"

Exactly. Seriously, why be so obsessed with battles and who's "better"? Every artist is good for different reasons, just listen to whatever makes you happiest and be done with it.

Angela

ATYCLB > Kid A > HTDAAB > Amnesiac > In Rainbows > Hail To The Thief

Easy for me although "Kid" is probably my second favorite album of the 00's.

BigMacPhisto said:
ATYCLB > Kid A > HTDAAB > Amnesiac > In Rainbows > Hail To The Thief

Easy for me although "Kid" is probably my second favorite album of the 00's.

ATYCLB >> KID A

:no:

even Bowno would agree Kid A is better :yes:

Originally posted by Bono

Whatever they want to do, I will work on their road crew. If they had a cellist, I’d carry the cello on my back. They can do whatever they want in my book and it’s alright with me. They’re that good.

intedomine said:

True, though I'd go as far as to argue that they only started releasing good songs from 97 (OKC) onward, cause their first two albums are middle-of-the-road Brit Rock and are utter garbage comapred with the outp[ut of some of their British contempories (Verve, Oasis, Blur).

I'm gonna get killed....

I'd take The Bends head on with Oasis's first two albums any day.

Back
Top Bottom