U2 vs. Radiohead

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
BonoVoxSupastar said:
So your dad is a New Jersey politician? Woah, who knew?

:lmao:.

That whole stream of posts had me about falling over with laughter. This thread is awesome :up:. As is that painting, BVS-love the colors used in it, very beautiful.

As for the original topic of U2 vs. Radiohead...I do like what I've heard by Radiohead, but I gotta go with U2. At least as far as personal favorite band goes. Who's better? I think they're equally good at what they do, why does one have to be "better" than the other?

Angela

Last edited:
I'd say Radiohead is better than U2 in that they aren't going to sell out for more profit the way U2 has allowing Universal to release subpar products like the 2nd disc of the Vertigo DVD or the deluxe version of HTDAAB without lyrics, forcing you to buy the regular album (in my case, the UK import to get the lyrics to "Fast Cars"), or not putting as much on their concert DVDs as they could like only 10 tracks on the DVD to the superfluous 3rd hits package, or charging eggregious prices for Popmart deluxe.

Also, U2 dumbs down their setlists for bellweather fans. They haven't played songs from the 2nd half of the Joshua Tree in nearly a decade, and they do this to stay big. Well, I say they should play great songs, not just obvious hits all the time!

Also, Bono's showmanship can get annoying. It comes off recently as phoney. Even their art is too self-consciously mainstream these days. Bono has ceased to write convincingly about his depressive moods or about his social anxiety, which I'd love to hear about! Bono also kisses up to dangerous American nationalism, which is a threat to the world, when it is not complemented by humility or curiosity, i.e. the thinking of George W. Bush and all his supporters.

Still, I hope U2 will get back to the days when they cared more about their art, and I still find "Achtung Baby" the only perfect album I own.

However, maybe this picture of Radiohead with a book perched on their sofa will surprise everyone:
http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/167/0027jr8.jpg

All the stuff mentioned in the above post do not make one band better or worse than the other. And it's annoying that threads like these always result in Bono-bashing.

I like Radiohead, some of their stuff more, some less. I also enjoy music by other bands, shock horror. But U2 is HOME for me, no other band is able to make me feel like they do. I have an emotional connection to U2 and their music. Bono's voice provides me with comfort, their songs give me hope.

As long as their music has heart and soul, I don't care what they're doing.

Muldfeld said:
I'd say Radiohead is better than U2 in that they aren't going to sell out for more profit the way U2 has allowing Universal to release subpar products like the 2nd disc of the Vertigo DVD or the deluxe version of HTDAAB without lyrics, forcing you to buy the regular album (in my case, the UK import to get the lyrics to "Fast Cars"), or not putting as much on their concert DVDs as they could like only 10 tracks on the DVD to the superfluous 3rd hits package, or charging eggregious prices for Popmart deluxe.

You've brought this up before and it has to be one of the dumbest arguments I've ever heard in here. You went and bought the regular album just for the printed lyrics? Why didn't you just go to the link provided to you in the book and download them for free? Plus Radiohead doesn't even print lyrics most of the time.

And you're complaining about a bonus DVD being too short? The DVD was a BONUS and cost you what? Mine cost me 4 bucks(that was the difference between the regular and deluxe U218).

And Popmart Deluxe, cost the same as any other DVD deluxe I've every bought.

You have nothing to stand on.

Last edited:
that was a cool picture that was posted it was cool to see Tom reading up on U2. Oviously the 2 band respect one another and are fans of one another.

Has radiohead ever coverd a U2 song?

Has U2 ever coverd a radiohead song (besides the snippet of creep)?

Muldfeld said:

$80 discbox.

Next.

Thom has the worst voice imaginable and uses it to create aneurysms in my brain. Although Creep was ok, but ever since them Whiney McThom has come to stage and since then I can understand how anyone can even bring this topic up.

and in Toronto Thom Yorke war a WAR shirt on a previous tour that I saw.

I like U2 better myself but it all comes down to taste.

They snippeted Please as the outro to the badass live version of I Might Be Wrong.

Based on the last 10 years 97-07...Radiohead crushes U2. We're talking OK Computer, Kid A, Amnesiac, Hail to the Thief, In Rainbows...that's 5 albums compared to what? POP (an album most of you hate or dislike because it was trendy or too experimental or whatnot) All That You Leave Behind AND How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb. That's three albums VS. Five. Now...if those albums were up against TUF, Joshua Tree, Achtung and Zooropa...maybe we'd have an interesting discussion here, and I'd have to say U2...but based on the past decade, Radiohead destroys U2...hands down...no question.

ozeeko said:
Based on the last 10 years 97-07...Radiohead crushes U2. We're talking OK Computer, Kid A, Amnesiac, Hail to the Thief, In Rainbows...that's 5 albums compared to what? POP (an album most of you hate or dislike because it was trendy or too experimental or whatnot) All That You Leave Behind AND How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb. That's three albums VS. Five. Now...if those albums were up against TUF, Joshua Tree, Achtung and Zooropa...maybe we'd have an interesting discussion here, and I'd have to say U2...but based on the past decade, Radiohead destroys U2...hands down...no question.

If Amnesiac wasn't a completely hit-or-miss affair, and HTTT didn't showcase Radiohead at their most watered-down, you may have a good point there. :wink: In Rainbows, OKC, and Kid A I will give you. Those are classics.

But it's really not fair to compare a band in their heyday to a band that's been around for 30 years.

LemonMelon said:

If Amnesiac wasn't a completely hit-or-miss affair, and HTTT didn't showcase Radiohead at their most watered-down, you may have a good point there. :wink: In Rainbows, OKC, and Kid A I will give you. Those are classics.

But it's really not fair to compare a band in their heyday to a band that's been around for 30 years.

You really think HTTT was watered-down? I thought it was a solid album, a sort of return to form after the """""experimental""""" albums. "There, There" and "2+2=5" tear the roof off the sucka. And "Myxamatosis"? A dingy industrial rant about a sexually deviant cat is anything but watered-down.

Yea, Amnesiac was a hit-or-miss affair, but I'd trade U2's entire post2000 catalog just for the "Pyramid Song".

ozeeko said:

Only in this forum.

In the rest of the world, nobody even knows who Radiohead is.

BrownEyedBoy said:

Only in this forum.

In the rest of the world, nobody even knows who Radiohead is.

You're not serious, are you?

ozeeko, nobody is talking about U2 the past 10 years vs. radiohead...we're talking one band vs. another, taking everything into account...comparing one decade to another is dumb...THIS THREAD = POINTLESS....everyone's opinions on here are really too strong to determine objectively what band wins out :shrug:

for me, U2 destroys radiohead simply because of how much better a live act they are in comparison :yes:

LemonMelon said:

:eeklaugh: OKC, Bends, Kid A, and HTTT have all sold over 1 million each worldwide...

Yes...which is only a teeny fraction of what every U2 album sells worldwide.

I love Radiohead, but it's true that people in general may have heard of Radiohead, but they just don't know a fucking thing about them.

Maybe it's because of their insistence on not getting anything played on the radio, but Radiohead remain a classic cult band, albeit a big one.

i believe i read today that radiohead have sold 33 million albums worldwide, in total. that's before in rainbows.

i'm pretty sure that qualifies as a mainstream band, and not a cult act.

comparing bands against each other is a lot of fun, guys.

Back
Top Bottom