U2 vs Queen

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Queen's early albums are amazing and Freddie is clearly a better singer than Bono, but U2's eighties work alone still wins for me.

U2 easily, Brian May sounds to me more like a studio giutarist, Edge plays with more feeling. Freddie was a schooled singer, but Bono sings with much more passion and feeling.

your kidding right. Freddy was and is passion. check out queen live clips. the guy gets the crowd going like no other.
even though bono came close to his stature during zoo tv (with the show-man-ship and character)

I love both bands actually and think that Freddie was probably the ultimate frontman, in terms of charisma and singing ability he's nigh on unbeatable, he also did a better job of preserving his voice throughout the 20 or so years they were together.

But U2 and their music just connect with me in a way that no other band does, its something about those four men, and what they create together especially on stage which makes them so special. Plus from the mid-eighties to the early ninties Bono was such a dynamic and vital showman, his sheer energy and need to connect emotionally with audience made up for any technical shortcomings he may have had. Watch any of those eighties concerts its extremely hard not to be effected and moved by him. On his night he's more than a match for any of the greats.

shaun vox said:
your kidding right. Freddy was and is passion. check out queen live clips. the guy gets the crowd going like no other.
even though bono came close to his stature during zoo tv (with the show-man-ship and character)

No Im not kidding, give me one example when Freddie sings with such a feeling and passion like Bono does on:

The live performences of SYCMIOYO
Night And Day
One(Modena 95)
Kite(Live)
Wild Irish Rose
Dreamin with Tears in My Eyes
The opera part in the beginning of WTSHNN on Slane
Please(Popmart live)
Well the list can be long.

Freddie hit very high with his voice, but to me his voice sounds the same everytime. Bonos low voice, high voice and middle voice are so different from each other. Freddie was one of the best singers, I can agree and had a lot of energy. But I never heard him in the energic mode that Bono had on Lovetown... Also Bono has a more mystical personality on stage(ZooTV, Popmart and still has).

Peterrrrr said:
Freddie was a schooled singer, but Bono sings with much more passion and feeling.

Are you sure ? I don't think I ever read anything about Freddie having any formal vocal training.

Anyway, I like both Edge and Brian May's playing (and both drummers), and both bands had a very charismatic frontman and a very good singer.

Freddie has a bit of an advantage because he had the awesome singing talent and what, to me, sounds like a bigger range than Bono. From what I've seen on the live clips, I'd take Bono on stage.

Both of them are in my top 3 bands.

Last edited:
I love both groups, both have unforgettable singers, Freddie has voice from other planet, but I must say that U2 is my winner It isn't just an random band for me, their music helps me to get over bad times, they're like my second home, where I can always return and feel good.

U2girl said:

Are you sure ? I don't think I ever read anything about Freddie having any formal vocal training.

Yes, I read several times that he never had any vocal training, and therefore it's amazing that although he was heavy smoker like Bono, he'd never had any serious problems with voice.

Simple reason why I love U2 more than Queen: they have more great songs than Queen. I don't care for 90% of Queen in the 80's.

U2lunatic said:
I love both groups, both have unforgettable singers, Freddie has voice from other planet, but I must say that U2 is my winner It isn't just an random band for me, their music helps me to get over bad times, they're like my second home, where I can always return and feel good.

Same for me here.

I much prefer U2 on the whole. I never got into Queen so much, but I have nothing against them, as I'll demonstrate:

No Im not kidding, give me one example when Freddie sings with such a feeling and passion like Bono does on:

etc

I think you might either have a pretty insane bias towards Bono or maybe you need to hear more Freddie. Huge passion, huge voice, very powerful all round. I do like Bono's voice more, yet Freddie seemed on average both technically and 'passionately' better.

The Sad Punk said:

I think you might either have a pretty insane bias towards Bono or maybe you need to hear more Freddie. .

I have listen to Queen and I enjoy them. But no, Freddie dosent come close to Bono's soul and passion. Ann I still think that Bono have a much more variation in his voice. And Bono's voice has always changed, wich also give him more variation.

Give me some example's on where Freddie sings with such a passion and feeling on:

The live performences of SYCMIOYO
Night And Day
One(Modena 95)
Kite(Live)
Wild Irish Rose
Dreamin with Tears in My Eyes
The opera part in the beginning of WTSHNN on Slane
Please(Popmart live)
Well the list can be long.

U2lunatic said:

Ditto

shaun vox said:

I don't think passion and showmanship neccesarily go hand in hand, you can have one without the other...

I feel nothing with songs like 'We Will Rock You' or 'We are the Champions' not even in a sports arena. Great beats, catchy tunes, but passion? None.

Queen was the band that got me into music. Once I discovered U2, Queen took a backseat. I connect with U2's music more than Queen's. Individually, Queen are no doubt better technical musicians...but U2's music is better. They've had very similar career points at times (Hot Space is to Queen what Pop is to U2.

I have always found lyrics in songs like "We Will Rock You".... silly. Im glad that Bono has never shout "We gonna rock you to the groove" on a live concert.

One thing that disturbed me is that alot of people says the Queen was the highlight of Live Aid, well how hard is it to get the crowd going songs "We Will Rock You", "We the champions" and "Radio Gaga". These are easy singalong songs. And to ask the crowd to sing along isnt hard.

Im not saying this just beacause I am a U2 fan, but U2 where best on that show, it was their show. With U2 flags in the crowd. Instead of playing hitsingles they played "Bad", Bono had a mysterious style on the stage, No other group/artist acted like that on stage on that show. Instead of ask the crowd to sing along in the song Bono aksed the crowd in politcal view to scream "No more" in SBS.

:crack: Deja vu...

U2 by far. Queen had some great hits, but I dunno, they never really did it for me.

Canadiens1160 said:
I prefer U2 because they are less gay.

By this rationale, R.E.M. are gay, also. Just because the lead singer is gay doesn't make the band gay. I don't relate to music aimed at gay audiences, which Queen's was most definitely not.

I appreiciate what PPL see in Queen, and they have some great songs......but U2 are THE musicians in my life and have been for 25 odd yrs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom