U2 vs. Dave Matthews Band: Why U2?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jick

Refugee
Why is U2 better than Dave Matthews? I have my own reasons but I want your reasons. I am surrounded by many Dave Matthews fans and many of them are under the utterly false notion that Dave Matthews is better than U2. So I want to clear things up and let them know where Dave Mathews belong in the food chain (way below U2). For me I think Dave's got shallow superficial lyrics and only one singing style, unlike Bono who can croon (Your Blue Room), go through anthemic wails (Pride, Walk On), do falsetto (Lemon), go bluesy (In A Little While) and get jazzy (Two Shots Of Happy, That's Life). Dave seems to just do his one-tracked singing style. Well that's just me. Any other reasons that make you prefer U2?

Cheers,

J

Who's DMB? :)

Seriously, U2 sells more records in a week here in the Netherlands than DMB has sold in their entire carreer. ;)

C ya!

Marty

Both bands are comprised of extremely talented musicians who play passionate music about love, politics, charity and friendship.

However, U2 is the most inspiring band I've ever seen live, and DMB is the most dull.

Bono is a known sex-symbol, and Dave is a more everyman.

Bono runs around the stage, leaps into crowds and is reknowned as the most charasmatic frontman in rock. Dave stands in one place and swivels his foot.

I guess it boils down to which appeals to you more, and which band touches your heart and moves your soul. I don't think "best" can be measured in airplay or sales - but both bands are hugely popular, and again, comprised of exquisite musicians. So I guess this is a subjective argument. :crack: :shrug:

I'm from VA too Carey :wave: I know I've told you. I had heard of DMB long before they went national. I know people personally who knew them personally 'when'. But, I cannot stand them. Of all the bands from VA who deserved to get famous, this was not one I would have chosen. I really cannot stand their style, their songs, and especially not his voice. His voice is whiney, unbearable and unlistenable. I am unable to tolerate one of their songs for more than a minute when it comes on the radio. I had the unpleasent experience of visiting a few days with friends in another state who played them endlessly and worshipped them. I suppose they thought since I was from VA I did too, but it was so hard not to tell them to please spare me.

I completely fail to see the appeal of DMB at all. The argument people always use is, they are such talented musicians! Well they may be, but I do not like or enjoy the sounds they create. Perhaps a different singer would change it, but I don't think so.

I don't think I need to go into why U2 are better. They are just better in every way, their songs are better, their singer is better (oh and WAY hotter too;) ) U2 is great. DMB are mediocre at best, and I wouldn't even go that far. If someone likes them that is their choice, but to put them in the same category with U2 is just plain wrong and I believe time will prove that though I think it's already obvious.

It's the accent, if DMB could pull off an Irish accent I'll listen to them anyday.........:lol:

No just kidding ofcourse, seriously now, I've seen one of their concert broadcasts and needless to say... very dull. I know many DMB fans and am getting really annoyed when they start comparing the two, just because Dave Matthews praised U2 or something to that effect recently. I didn't read any of the lyrics so I wouldn't know about them being superficial but I'm not even going to bother making a comparison.

Dave's voice is just not good. Annoying, and always sounds the same. Live they are a complete bore. U2 live is a life-changing experience. And let's face it folks, how many songs can you have a freaking fiddle and a clarinet/sax before it gets REALLY old.

I was watching the FanClub show on DMB once, and my brother said "What, Dave Matthews Band has fans?" :laugh:

I do have the Crash album though, and I really like it. True, it does get dull after a while; I'll dust it off every now and then.

U2's style changes so often, and that makes it fresh, new, and interesting, which is why I never grow tired of them. Although I haven't been to a U2 concert yet, there's just something about them that few other bands can accomplish.

What are you people talking about?!?!I love DMB! And not just because he's from Virginia. Dave was actually born in South Africa. But I guess you all wouldn't care about that. :madspit: Ooooh well. Ever heard of a little song called 'Crash Into Me'?

:sexywink:

I recently attended DMB concert in Columbus. I thought it was so good, I went and bought tickets for a show in Cincinnati the following week. It was even better. They are a fantastic live band. It's a totally different experience seeing them live than U2. They're definately in my top 3 live bands, they're awesome live.

That said, they will never match U2. The charisma, the subject meaning behind the songs, and the overall appeal of the songs will never compete with U2. To each his own, though. Some probably do like DMB better than U2. I disagree. But I was very impressed with Dave's live show, I will say.

I'm sorry Carey, I didn't mean you only liked them because they were from Va. but I bet you do think it's cool since you're a fan. Remember Bruce Hornsby? :yawn: He was from Williamsburg. Anyway if you like them it's your beezwax but I don't :shrug: :)

Speaking of DMB live: When I went to see U2, I took a blanket and a pillow to wait in the GA line, then I enjoyed the show. In the case of DMB I'd take the pilllow and blanket inside with me :yawn: and some earplugs :reject:

Last edited:
i saw them open up for the stones. ah, it was ok, but nothing special actually. he sang memory motel with the stones. would have been awesome if some other singer had joined in, in stead of dm. this was not very impressive indeed.

DMB is one of those bands that I respect but don't really like very much. I kind of hate to say bad things about them because they are talented musicians and seem like very nice guys from what I've heard. But that doesn't change the fact that they bore the crap out of me. :yawn:

I really like DMB and i like dave's voice....it's unique. and they put on a great live show. totally different kinda energy but still exciting and entertaining.

i think that dmb's sound totally different from a lot of music out their (with the excpetion of john mayer :der: ) and that's why i think it only attracts a certain fan base. whereas U2 has more of a mass appeal. people are more likely to like a song or 2 of U2 without being a fan of the band whereas that probably isn't very likely to happen with dave.

HelloAngel said:
Both bands are comprised of extremely talented musicians who play passionate music about love, politics, charity and friendship.

However, U2 is the most inspiring band I've ever seen live, and DMB is the most dull.

Bono is a known sex-symbol, and Dave is a more everyman.

Bono runs around the stage, leaps into crowds and is reknowned as the most charasmatic frontman in rock. Dave stands in one place and swivels his foot.

I guess it boils down to which appeals to you more, and which band touches your heart and moves your soul. I don't think "best" can be measured in airplay or sales - but both bands are hugely popular, and again, comprised of exquisite musicians. So I guess this is a subjective argument. :crack: :shrug:

:up:

Well said.

The musicianship of Dave Matthews Band is better. They have a multi-cultural band that appeals to hippies and jocks/ preps.
They go into jams that can be either good or bad but at least they improvise every show (for good or for worse). Dave Matthews has a distinct voicie (until John Mayer came along) that some view as an instrument that goes along with their type of music. They've had Steve Lillywhite produce several of their best albums. Dave Matthews does some cool accoustic stuff that is simple (and its all accoustic!)

That is why U2 is better than DMB.

Thanks for all your replies so far. I am glad people here view DMB as not every comparable to U2. For a while I thought I was almost alone in my assertions because it seemed all my friends who loved U2 were also into Dave Matthews and some thought the latter was better. Yeah, I think DMB's music can be summed up in one word - boring, his voice in one word - annoying.

Cheers,

J

Flying FuManchu said:
The musicianship of Dave Matthews Band is better. They have a multi-cultural band that appeals to hippies and jocks/ preps.
They go into jams that can be either good or bad but at least they improvise every show (for good or for worse). Dave Matthews has a distinct voicie (until John Mayer came along) that some view as an instrument that goes along with their type of music. They've had Steve Lillywhite produce several of their best albums. Dave Matthews does some cool accoustic stuff that is simple (and its all accoustic!)

That is why U2 is better than DMB.

Yeah I think this reasoning is right along the lines of what the people I know say. They say that live - unlike U2, Dave Matthews has improvised jams in every show (which I view as a waste of time). They say also that live, unlike U2, the drummer usually drums the songs slightly different from the other night (which I view simply as inconsistency). They also say that DMB mixes ups setlists a lot, unlike U2, (but I just view this as variety in the quality of their shows and the lack of a unifying theme).

Some say Dave Matthews has a distinct voice, but I feel it is a voice easily copied. I see many cover bands here in my country do good covers of DMB songs, and in the international scene John Mayer is sounding like Dave. I think his singing is kinda like Eddie Vedder - it was unique/distinct when it came out but is easily copied when the clones come in. For Pearl Jam, Stone Temple Pilots, ***** and similar bands who had singers try to emulate Vedder's growly singing style came out and cashed in on that style. Now it seems like John Mayer is starting to cash-in on the DMB singing style and many others will follow suit soon.

The real distinct voice is Bono. No one, and I say no one, whether it be a local band in my country covering U2 songs, or any foreign band has managed to sound remotely close to Bono. Now his voice is something unique and special, and unlike Dave, it is so versatile and he uses it in many different ways - crooner, loungue, wail, falsetto, shout, sing.

But yeah, I do wish U2 would release more live stuff and acoustic stuff just like DMB.

Cheers,

J

I love DMB for some of the same reasons I love U2- the emotional songs, Dave's voice, the passionate music, etc. They were my first and second favorite bands after I really discovered U2, and it would depend on my mood which one was my favorite.

The decision was made when I saw both bands live within a few days. I was in the very last row at U2, and I could feel the energy coming off the stage that far back. Everyone around us was really into it, too. I left with an indescribable feeling that stayed with me for awhile.

DMB bored me a few days later. I knew more of the songs at DMB than I had at U2, and we were sitting about the same distance away. But there was something missing. DMB gets into their music too, but it doesn't have the same emotion, or they don't project it as well. And I love Dave's little stompy-twisty dance, but he's not throwing himself into the audience, physically and emtionally. He stands behind his guitar and sings with a lot of emotion. He doesn't have the ability to reach out and make every person feel what he is feeling at the time.

U2 is a spiritual connection. DMB is a great summer show for sitting under the stars and listening to good music. Both are great, but I'll take that spiritual high I found at U2 any day.

jick said:

Yeah I think this reasoning is right along the lines of what the people I know say. They say that live - unlike U2, Dave Matthews has improvised jams in every show (which I view as a waste of time).

Same here. Especially because the last show I saw they did the same jam 3 times. :ywan:

They say also that live, unlike U2, the drummer usually drums the songs slightly different from the other night (which I view simply as inconsistency). They also say that DMB mixes ups setlists a lot, unlike U2, (but I just view this as variety in the quality of their shows and the lack of a unifying theme).
Good point. I wasn't aware the drummer drums differently each night...not sure what I think about that.
I have seen a variety in the quality of their shows- good, great, and just play Ants so we can go home.

The real distinct voice is Bono.
:yes: Bono's voice has changed a lot in the last 25 years, but it's always unmistakeably Bono. How many bands are there that have successfully changed their sound as many times as U2, without changing any band members, and you can almost always tell it's them?

I wish there was no such thing as improvisation and musicianship then U2 would truly rule the world... I get so sick of people complaining about different setlists... its bands like DMB that help spread that concept. Static is truly the best....

I agree, DMB's music doesn't touch me as much as U2's song Complicated or there song Everywhere.

I'm a fan of the DMB. Are they U2? No, but there aren't many bands that are. I've seen them live twice. Both were great shows. The reason that Dave doesn't run around the stage and jump in the crowd is because he is playing lead guitar. it's tough to play and dive in the crowd at the same time.

All DMB's songs sound basically the same. They are a good listen, but there is no strong music there. And they don't have Bono to give them a spiritual awakening. (I'm saying that as a U2 fan not a PLEBA girl!)

Back
Top Bottom