U2 vs. Dave Matthews Band: Why U2?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As someone who is a longtime fan of both U2 and Dave Matthews Band, my opinion would be rather biased. As others have said, it's quite hard to make a comparison between the two. But having seen both bands live on numerous occasions, I can say that each is a unique, highly enjoyable experience. The "jamming" that DMB often does is not for everyone, however, and I can understand people getting bored with it. But when it works (see #41)...it's quite impressive.

One thing I've always appreciated about DMB is their incredibly open taping policy. It was this policy that made them popular in the first place and nurtured their highly devoted fanbase. But even when they reached their current level of fame, they still allowed any fan to tape at any show for nonprofit trading. I've often thought that U2 could learn a lesson from DMB in this regard. Or at the very least, put out more official live releases, as DMB also does.

Last edited:
DMB is indeed a great band. One of very few around (Coldplay, Travis, to name a couple) that can even come close to the emotional, spiritual, and often political strength of U2's music. But Dave's music is much less powerful in these areas than U2. Dave's biggest (and some would say best) song is Crash Into Me - a song that is essentially about a man stalking a woman from afar and desperately wanting her love. U2's big ballad (though you can't really name just one, can you?) might be With or Without You. Sure, sounds like a simple love song also - but it isn't. It's a poetic painting of a deeper love - for God, for the stage, for sin, etc. - that pulsates with emotion in a way Dave can't really touch. You can say the same of really any U2 song in comparison with DMB. That doesn't mean DMB is bad - in fact they are a great band (incredible live!), it just means they are a different style. I might say that U2's music is of a more heavenly realm, while DMB is more "worldly," if you get my drift. Am I buggin you? I don't mean to bug ya...

jeffD

i look cool, i am cool - larry

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom