U2 Video Locations?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
has anyone ever had the curiosity that i had wondering where they shot some of their videos? sometimes they say which city its shot in, but can you identify which monuments or landmarks feature?

the most exotic location which the band shot for a video so far is 'mysterious ways', its shot in morocco, right? im not too clear cut which monuments feature in that video

which beach did they shoot the video for 'electrical storm' for? it looks like one in croatia or greece (im guessing here?) because beaches in europe do not have sand, people in europe have to endure life on pebbly beaches.

one - the version that anton directed, is shot in berlin, and you can identify the brandenburg gate, the olympic stadium which jesse owens won gold medals at but was refused a handshake by hitler on the basis of his race. im not too sure which streets anton picked, but the shot of the car with a person drawn on top of it is a fantastic shot

charles de gaulle airport in paris is the location of beautiful day, which is interesting because that airport is also the location where they shot the tom hanks film - the terminal :huh:

not sure where they shot the video for stay

'a celebration' is the only video that the band has used to showcase dublin in a video - a prison, out of all places, ive been there, other than the wall in windmill lane theres nothing there in dublin! hanover quay is no longer there either. the temple bar, the dublin spire, trinity college and croke park are dublin's only worthy monuments worth mentioning, none of which have not featured in any of u2 videos :p

Oh, yeah, I try to find out whenever I can.

"Mysterious Ways" is shot in Morocco, in the medina of Fes, I can't remember the name of the mosque (arab is too difficult for me), but I know it is the big one inside the medina and that I was told it houses the oldest madrasa in the world (the medieval arabic institution similar to universities), most of the shooting is in an area where they prepare furs, it's visually very interesting because of the colours, but the smell... I wonder how could Bono open his mouth in that area.

"Vertigo" was shot in Spain , in Tarragona in the delta of River Ebro, although after the effects is not very recognisable.

"A celebration" is filmed in Kilmainham Goal, in the outskirts of Dublin, it's a historically meaningful building, but maybe you know it, as you're British and it's part of your nation's history as well.

"Gloria" is also shot in Dublin, they play on a boat near the East Link bridge and the Cannal, you can see the industrial port, it is at the end of Sir John Rogerson Quay, although now it's impossible to reach due to the rebuilding of the area.

Another one shot in Dublin is "Sometimes You Can't Make it on Your Own", there are no monuments here, it's Sheriff Street and Cedarwood Road, some background shooting of Ballymun., this is the neighbourhood Bono lived in when he was a child.

"The Sweetest Thing" is shot in the Georgian Quarter, in the centre of Dublin, I think it is Fitzwilliam Place, but it could be Merrion Street, they're so similar.

"Pride (in the name of love)" is shot in the SFX Hall in Dublin, which is a place they used for rehearsal sessions in the early 80's.

I can't remember any more shot in Dublin at the moment, and I know the locations of many others, if you are interested I can post them later.

Last edited:
Oh, I forgot, the beach on "Electrical Storm" is in Eze, South of France, just outside Bono's and Egde's summer villas, and not so sure but I think Stay was shot in Berlin too, the director is Wim Wenders and the video is inspired in Wender's film "The sky over Berlin", they made an American version "City of Angels".

Last edited:
'Stay' was for sure shot in Berlin at the begin the bus is driving through Branderburg gate, and that angel is Berlin's Victory Angel, and also at the end of the video when Bono falls on the ground it's the same street which appear on One Berlin video I believe...

Here is one for film freaks to investigate, the diner used in If God Will send His Angels. Is it the same diner used in De niro movie Heat? Not the famous diner scene with Pacino but towards start of film, when the gang meet up with Waingro before attempted hit on him????

Electrical storm was indeed shot in Eze, right in front of Bono and Edge's house... the beach is, in fact, made entirely out of pebbles...

and there are MILLIONS of kilometers of beach that are sandy in europe.... so I haven't a clue where you get your pebbles only comment of... ever been to france, italy, greece? or even Holland or belgium?
:wink: croatia and greece are europe too...

Last Night on earth was shot in kansas city

Wow, thank you, pat123, for this link, you've saved me lots of hours of research on the web, unfortunately I'll have to invest them in revising my German, that is quite rusty at the moment. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom