U2: Unplugged

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Axver said:

See, I wouldn't agree with that at all, at least not when it comes to U2. To me, it seems that whenever they perform an acoustic version of the song, they just slow it down and turn it into a sleepy little plod through territory where a great song used to be. It sounds especially bad when Bono's voice is even remotely tired, worn, or otherwise affected by use or illness.

I always feel like something is missing, specifically the spark and life of the song.

Yeah...the rhythm section. ;)

Listen to Sunday Bloody Sunday on Rattle and Hum, great with Bono and Edge, but then when Adam and Larry come in...wam! the "oomph" for lack of a better term.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Take away the deeper tone by playing an acoustic bass.

And I don't see how doing the songs acoustically will help them discover
songs live that they don't normally play or don't play at all, without having to learn the complexities that normal versions of such songs would require.

Complexities? Seems a number of people find their songs easy to play, getting the sound can be difficult but the notes, not really. It's just a matter of remembering how to play them. Some songs written before a number of members here were born.

They can't just go to a guitar/bass/drum tab site and look up how to play their own songs. Considering the nature of tablature. (mostly interpretations).

I read from Edge one time that Adam's the only one who really listens to their older albums. Maybe it's changed since the early 90's, but even Bono doesn't remember what lyrics he wrote. Which would lead me to think he doesn't listen to his own albums that much.

I find acoustic versions to be rather dull, after hearing their full-sound electric versions. Any band, not just U2. To me, "Stay" sounds much better full band, then just Bono and Edge acoustically.

"All Apologies" did work acoustically, but other songs, not so much because the bass was really emphasing the songs, and acoustically, didn't. Maybe it's just the bass fan in me. ;)

Last edited:
I used to think U2 unplugged was a great idea....until recently. I been listening to first time live yest from Vertigo tour, thought it was soooo dull. Heard Wild HOney for the first time live and thought it was shocking. Having heard u2s acoustic songs for many years now av come to this conclusion. They seldom work....why I hear you ask. well its for this reason IMHO. The key to u2 is not that the songs were difficult, but more the way the simple things were done. ie, the sounds of edges guitar, larrys tight drumming and adams booming bass. As a result acoustic songs get lost in translation and all sound the same, boring and lifeless!

I'd love to see an mtv unplugged with u2.
They'd need to experiment a lot, like nirvana did. Play a few leftfield cover versions as well as a few seldom played album tracks. I'd love to see them finish with Shadows and tall trees!!

Interferers Unplugged. Now that would be fun.

Seriously, only great musicians can pull off an extended acoustic set. Great performers U2 are, musicians not.

namkcuR said:

Too many hits. They've played most if not all of these songs acoustically at one point or another.

I want obscurity. I want to see Drowning Man and Tomorrow and So Cruel and Acrobat and If God Will Send His Angels and Seconds and In A Little While...etc etc etc.

Well I'd like to see obscurity too, but think about it.

If they went on MTV or VH1 or whatever and did it, they'd perform their favorite/most popular songs.

Salome said:
I think the acoustic mtv sessions worked for:
1. bands who have a bit more going on in one song (soft-loud, chorus and verse being very differen, etc)
2. bands who don't have much ambition with the session but having a good time (which is why I do tend to like R.E.M.'s acoustic ventures)

I don't think many would disagree that U2 is not the sort of band to fit option #2
they do want to be the biggest adn best in all that they do

and personally I don't think U2 songs fit profile #1
U2 needs the rush of Edge's electric guitar (and the added backing tapes)

if they would do it I'd buy the dvd though (which probably will be released in 2 different formats and I'd go for the cheaper option :D )

I enjoyed R.E.M.'s acoustic performances on MTV. I think they worked out really well :up:

I like the "acoustic" (does this include the Zoo TV set or are we only talking Bono and Edge on guitar?) songs we got so far (this would probably make a nice compilation CD - all of their acoustic songs from the tours):

Angel of Harlem 1992
Satellite of love
When love comes to town
I still haven't found... (16 May 2001 version as well, not just the Zoo TV)
SATS
SBS
Desire (but with drums, like Irving Plaza)
Stay
Please
IGC
First time
Who's gonna ride... (2005 Larry-and-Adam-included version, sounds like the Bar temple version)
OOTS piano version

I guess 2001's AOH and Wild honey are ok, and Stuck/Walk on this tour did nothing for me. Absolute worst for me Ground beneath her feet and 1992's Who's gonna ride...

I would be interested in an acoustic Running to stand still, I think that would work live.

Axver said:
For the sake of discussion, I'd be more interested in an acoustic set if it were something like this:

1. Desire
2. Trip Through Your Wires
3. Hallelujah Here She Comes
4. She's A Mystery To Me
5. Slow Dancing
6. Promenade
7. A Sort Of Homecoming
8. The First Time
9. Wake Up Dead Man
10. One Step Closer
11. Tomorrow
12. Drowning Man
13. Summer Rain
14. Heartland
15. Spanish Eyes
16. Two Hearts Beat As One
17. In God's Country
18. When I Look At The World
19. Acrobat
20. Seconds

Substitute Slow Dancing for WGRYWH and I'll definitely agree with this list! :up:

Desire
Angel of Harlem
Summer Rain
I still haven't found (Wonders if Edge wouldn't use delay )
Stay
Slow Dancing
Staring at the Sun
Wild Honey
Ground beneath her feet
Beautiful Day
Sunday
Please
One
She's a mystery to me
---
The First Time
Stuck
Original of the Species
Yahweh
All I want is you

I would love an unplugged U2 album or concert, it would be like one of my favourite bands Aslan, they play acoustic live and it is brilliant. Their Made in Dublin album is an amazing album, and the violins and Cello just add so much to the songs :drool:. But yeah this isn't an Aslan forum and nobody has a clue who they are here so I'll shut up and close with U2 unplugged :up:

Mmm, acoustic U2... it would be entirely out of character, but I'd love to see it. It would feel like they were relinquishing a little greatness, though. Unfortunately, few of their songs sound better stripped down, since you can hear the melodies so clearly in the original versions (Angel of Harlem is an exception, ZooTV did wonders for it).

P.S. Speaking of Drowning Man, I noticed a semi-snippet in Beautiful Day from the Chicago DVD; near the end, Bono sings "Rise up! With wings like eagles! Higher, higher!" I knew I'd heard it somewhere, just couldn't quite place it. I wonder if he even knew he was quoting himself :wink:

amerrydeath said:
P.S. Speaking of Drowning Man, I noticed a semi-snippet in Beautiful Day from the Chicago DVD; near the end, Bono sings "Rise up! With wings like eagles! Higher, higher!" I knew I'd heard it somewhere, just couldn't quite place it. I wonder if he even knew he was quoting himself :wink:

I would suspect he is actually referring to part of Isaiah 40, which Drowning Man blatantly plagiarises.

Axver said:

I would suspect he is actually referring to part of Isaiah 40, which Drowning Man blatantly plagiarises.

:lol:

How do you know the line between plagiarism and references? I don't mean it in a condescending tone at all.

A good portion of Bono's lyrics are influenced by poetry, scripture, and things of that nature.

LemonMacPhisto said:

:lol:

How do you know the line between plagiarism and references? I don't mean it in a condescending tone at all.

A good portion of Bono's lyrics are influenced by poetry, scripture, and things of that nature.

I think it's plagiarism when you're singing it pretty much as written in the original source!

Compare:

Isaiah 40:31, a few centuries BC:
but those who hope in the LORD
will renew their strength.
They will soar on wings like eagles;
they will run and not grow weary,
they will walk and not be faint.

Bono in Drowning Man, 1982 AD:
Rise up, rise up
With wings like eagles
You run, you run
You run and not grow weary

I think that's beyond just influence and not only dabbles in plagiarism but leaps right into it feet-first!

Axver said:

I think it's plagiarism when you're singing it pretty much as written in the original source!

Compare:

Isaiah 40:31, a few centuries BC:
but those who hope in the LORD
will renew their strength.
They will soar on wings like eagles;
they will run and not grow weary,
they will walk and not be faint.

Bono in Drowning Man, 1982 AD:
Rise up, rise up
With wings like eagles
You run, you run
You run and not grow weary

I think that's beyond just influence and not only dabbles in plagiarism but leaps right into it feet-first!

well said, I stand corrected :up:

But isn't all of 40 plagiarism because it's about Psalm 40?

And the

"There is a silence,
it comes to a house,
where no one can sleep.
I guess that's the price of love,
I know it's not cheap."

line from Ultra Violet is unconciously plagiarized from another song as well.

LemonMacPhisto said:
But isn't all of 40 plagiarism because it's about Psalm 40?

I didn't know Ultra Violet took lines from anywhere, but you're right about 40.

Psalm 40:1-3:
1 I waited patiently for the LORD;
he turned to me and heard my cry.
2 He lifted me out of the slimy pit,
out of the mud and mire;
he set my feet on a rock
and gave me a firm place to stand.
3 He put a new song in my mouth,
a hymn of praise to our God.
Many will see and fear
and put their trust in the LORD.

Seem familiar? :wink:

I know some have said 40's refrain comes from Psalm 6:3: "My soul is in anguish. How long, O LORD, how long?" It's close, I suppose ...

Edit: I cited the New International Version above; I just checked the King James Version and it's even closer to the lyrics of 40. The first verse of 40 especially seems like a direct lift from the KJV.

Last edited:
I don't think its really plagirism, they called it "40", so there making it pretty obvious where they got it from, its not like he's trying to say he wrote it without any help from above :))
And I think that line from ultraviolet is from a book, not a song. Dont remember which. But its in Bill Flannagans bible, he points this plagirism out to Bono, who didn't realise that he had "subconciously" borrowed these lines from someone else. He was cheesed off because he thought he'd written a really good verse:)

Since One's been played 2 hell, and it will still get played on every tour, I think it should be acoustic on the next tour, and earlier in the show a la Zoo TV.

Re: Re: Re: Re: U2: Unplugged

Axver said:

Just check out performances such as Stay on the Boston DVD and SATS on the Slane DVD; utterly dreadful. U2 would not sound good at all if they played an entire unplugged concert.

My favourite song from Boston might as well be Stay.

Fast Cars
Desire
A Man And A Woman
Stuck In A Moment
Wild Honey
The First Time
Whose Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses
Walk On
If You Wear That Velvet Dress
So Cruel
Mothers Of The Disappeared

Back