U2 tracks where Bono not the lead singer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

financeguy

ONE love, blood, life
Over the years, U2 have released a small number of tracks where Bono is not the lead singer, e.g.:

(1) Seconds (War) - Edge
(2) Numb (Zooropa)- Edge
(3) The Wanderer (Zooropa) - Edge
(4) Boomerang II (B-side) - lead singer doesn't sound like Bono, but I'm not sure who it is
(5) Van Diemen's Land (R&H) - Edge
(6) Ito Okashi (Passengers) - Holi
(7) A Different Kind of Blue (Passengers) - Brian Eno
(8) Corpse (Passengers) - Edge
(9) Miss Sarajevo (Passengers) - Bono/Pavarotti joint

Have I missed out any (not counting tracks where members of U2 provided assistance to other artists, but it was not released as a U2 track) ?

And does anyone who is the lead singer on Boomerang II?

Boomerang II is Bono sounding like Bono...

Wanderer is J. Cash. Bono sings with Edge on Seconds too.

Your Blue Room - Adam Clayton has a small vocal part toward the end.

I know what you mean regarding Boomerang II. If I didn't know any better, I would have thought I was listening to a track from Roxy Music's Avalon...

I would like to include one of two U2 songs on Robbie Robertson's untitled album:
'Sweet Fire of Love' is really a U2 song, RR duetting with Bono.

The other song: 'Testify' is not co-written by the boys, they are just the band (no pun intended)

just to make sure (3) The Wanderer (Zooropa) - lead singer is not Edge he does backing vocals to Johnny Cash.
I'm not sure what you intended there...

(edit: sorry about that last remark, some people post faster than others...)

Last edited:
The live version of Love Rescue Me from the Smile Jamaica concert (bside to Angel Of Harlem) features Ziggy Marley singing it as a duet with Bono.

Two other U2 recordings not mentioned yet have Bono doing duets: the live version of Satellite Of Love from the Peace Together compilation features Lou Reed and I'm Not Your Baby from The End Of Violence soundtrack features Sinead O'Connor.

Popmartijn said:

The first part, yes. From 'In an appartment on Times Square' on it's Bono.

Never knew that. Thanks.

I'll like to also add the Edge version of "Sunday Bloody Sunday" is a b-side on the "If God Will Send His Angels" single. Edge singing that song in front of 60,000 plus = :drool:

sidenote, Love rescue me originally had Dylan doing lead vocals, not just background, but he asked to be removed, supposedly becasue the lyrics hit home a bit too much, he should've consulted with BB before joining up with U2...he must've known Bono could write?

U2 performed Dancing Queen multiple times on ZooTV, but that was sung by Bono. Edge did a karaoke segment on Popmart that was regularly Daydream Believer but included other songs - not sure if Dancing Queen was ever done by Edge or not.

On ZooTV, Larry regularly sung a traditional Irish song. He also did Tequila Sunrise on 12 December 1987, Hampton.

the story behind SBS Popmart:

when U2 played Sarajevo (sep 23 1997), they wanted to do something special fot the city.
so, they cut the karaoke/miami part of the set, and substituted it with SBS acoustic. of course, because of the lirycs etc...
don't know if it was originally planned that Edge would sing it; I think that EDGE sung it because Bono lost its voice during the show. I even read somewhere that Bono, during the show, did go backstage a couple of times to have some medications and fixes for his throat; painkillers, maybe?
of course, they found out that the "war songs" sequence of staring-sunday-bullet-please worked wonders during the set, and so they kept it (starting from 26 october Toronto; tha last two euro shows had karaoke-miami), thus cutting karaoke-miami.

thrillme said:
From what I read at u2faqs.com, Adam sings on "Endless Deep" the "where do we go from here, where do we go from here."
sounds like he sings the whole "song", well that is dadada... at the end aswell
Also it sounds to me like The edge sings the intros to Treasuer and Fire

gabriele1971 said:
the story behind SBS Popmart:

when U2 played Sarajevo (sep 23 1997), they wanted to do something special fot the city.
so, they cut the karaoke/miami part of the set, and substituted it with SBS acoustic. of course, because of the lirycs etc...
don't know if it was originally planned that Edge would sing it; I think that EDGE sung it because Bono lost its voice during the show. I even read somewhere that Bono, during the show, did go backstage a couple of times to have some medications and fixes for his throat; painkillers, maybe?
of course, they found out that the "war songs" sequence of staring-sunday-bullet-please worked wonders during the set, and so they kept it (starting from 26 october Toronto; tha last two euro shows had karaoke-miami), thus cutting karaoke-miami.

Big mistake IMHO, Miami/Bullet was some of the best stuff u2 ever donelive. Maybe it fit well in Sarajevo, but they should have kept Miami/Bullet for the rest of the tour.

Not that it really matters now though..

And don't forget Larry on backing vocals on Numb and Crashed Car live.

thrillme said:
From what I read at u2faqs.com, Adam sings on "Endless Deep" the "where do we go from here, where do we go from here."

Adam sings on "Tomorrow '96"

which was the re-recording "Tomorrow" for the "Common Ground" album in 1996

Back
Top Bottom