U2 tours

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bono_212

Blue Crack Distributor
Well I'm sure you all probably already think me an idiot anyway so why don't I go and prove it some more

Could you guys fill in some blanks for me?

What was the name of U2s tours up until

The Joshua Tree tour

And then....

Joshua Tree tour obviously was for Joshua Tree

Was Lovetown for Rattle and Hum? So does that mean there was a tour, a cd, and a movie?

Zootv was for Achtung Baby, did Zooropa have it's own tour or did it piggyback Zoo Tv, and how no earth did U2 have time to make a cd during the beast that was ZooTv?

And if there aws no tour between then and 1997, why was PopMart such a failure? Four years waiting from ZOOTV! would I think pack any arena.

Then it's Elevation, and Vertigo

Anyways, pretty much please list the U2 tours chronologically for me and their respective cd thanks ;).

bono_212 said:
Well I'm sure you all probably already think me an idiot anyway so why don't I go and prove it some more

Could you guys fill in some blanks for me?
Here's a site that can:
http://www.u2-vertigo-tour.com/all-u2-tours.html
bono_212 said:
And if there aws no tour between then and 1997, why was PopMart such a failure? Four years waiting from ZOOTV! would I think pack any arena.
The Popmart tour was massive. It was also massively expensive to stage. I think "failure" is a pretty relative term in this case.

(Although one reason that it didn't do better was probably because the Pop material wasn't up to the Achtung Baby standards.)

bono_212 said:

PopMart was not "such a failure"... it just didn't make as much money as other tours...
In fact 3.9mln people were at PopMart Shows, I think it's still more than the number of people on Vertigo Tour (I may be wrong here, I haven't read anything about VertigT. for a while now).
3,9mln>on 95 shows that's ~41000 tickets/show, wich is still quite imressive and honestly it should not matter if few shows were not 'sold out'.
The problem was, every show did cost the band 250,000$,

...and BTW, it still was better grossing tour than Michael Jackson's tour and The Rolling Stones' tour that year...

Last edited:
bono_212 said:
What was the name of U2s tours up until

The Joshua Tree tour

[Album Title] Tour. Before the release of Boy, there were 'tours' like the 11 O'clock Tick Tock Tour but nothing on a significant scale. In 1986, U2 were one of the bands that appeared on Amnesty International's Conspiracy Of Hope Tour; for those shows, they played a pretty brief set.

Was Lovetown for Rattle and Hum? So does that mean there was a tour, a cd, and a movie?

Well, U2 were initially going to start the Joshua Tree Tour in New Zealand and Australia as a tribute to Greg Carroll, but recording of the album ran later than expected and they had to start in America instead. The Lovetown Tour was scheduled to make up for that, and to promote RAH, though it started almost a year after RAH's release.

Zootv was for Achtung Baby, did Zooropa have it's own tour or did it piggyback Zoo Tv, and how no earth did U2 have time to make a cd during the beast that was ZooTv?

Some people will talk about a Zooropa Tour, but in reality, that was ZooTV 4th Leg: Zooropa (as it was in Europe), and it was followed by the ZooTV 5th leg, which included Zoomerang (Australian shows), New Zooland (New Zealand), and the Japanese shows didn't get a nickname. U2 played the first three legs of ZooTV in 1992, from the last day of February through to late November. Zooropa's genesis occurred during this time, and much of it was recorded during the first few months of 1993. The 4th leg of ZooTV began in May 1993 and Zooropa was released the next month. Zooropa songs debuted during this leg of the tour.

There's a lot of misinformation about Popmart. The poor critical reception to the opening night in Las Vegas didn't help, and a lot of false beliefs about Popmart were formed by poor attendance in certain American markets. U2 should have played arenas rather than stadiums in some markets. For example, a half-empty stadium sounds quite bad, but if the stadium seats 60,000 for a concert, that means you just played to 30,000 people, which would sell out two nights in a smaller arena!

Also, Popmart's attendance in Europe and South America was INCREDIBLE. In Reggio Emilia, Italy, U2 played to 150,000 people (and some people there believe the crowd had at least 10,000 more people than officially reported). That remains a world record paying crowd to a single band without support. And in South America, they played three sold out nights in Buenos Aires, Argentina.

Ultimately, U2 pocketed US$101 million from the tour.

Anyway, U2's tours and their album/s:

Early Days: Irish shows and some in London, some specifically to promote the U2:3 and 11 O'clock Tick Tock singles
Boy Tour: Boy (a couple of October songs debuted late on tour)
October Tour: October (A Celebration debuted on tour)
War Tour: War
The Unforgettable Fire Tour: The Unforgettable Fire (the first leg is sometimes called the Under Australian Skies Tour and was very similar to the War Tour, with only a small amount of UF material introduced)
Conspiracy Of Hope: I don't really count this as a U2 tour but some do. Tour arranged by Amnesty International.
The Joshua Tree Tour: The Joshua Tree
Lovetown: Rattle And Hum; seen by some as a bit of a 'decade overview' or an 'eighties summary'
ZooTV: Achtung Baby and Zooropa
Popmart: Pop
Elevation: ATYCLB
Vertigo: HTDAAB

Re: Re: U2 tours

bathiu said:
The problem was, every show did cost the band 250,000$,

Actually, the Popmart Tour cost the band $250,000 per day, show or no show. This was the cost of renting the PA, props, stage, transport vehicles (including a 747) etc. and the cost of paying the touring crew. As you can imagine, the costs were huge for a whole tour then.
(As a comparison, the ZooTV tour cost the band $125,000 per day)

anyone know how much Vertigo has cots to put on?

:waves:
hi marty, check your mail!

Re: Re: U2 tours

Axver said:
Lovetown: Rattle And Hum; seen by some as a bit of a 'decade overview' or an 'eighties summary'

And seen by Axver as sacred, holy, and however you pronouce :drool: .

And yeah...agreed with what everyone else said about Popmart. About half of the third American leg had really poor attendance, but they still made a profit on it. It was not a failiure by any standards except for the impossibly high ones set by ZooTV.

digsy said:
anyone know how much Vertigo has cots to put on?

:waves:
hi marty, check your mail!

I thought I read somewhere that for the European leg the costs were about $1,000,000 per day (although I want to look it up, because it also could've been per show...)

:wave:
I've read it! :hyper: Now you check it!

Sorry...I'm so bad about not clarifiying....I shouldn't have said "failure" What I meant really, is that I'm surprsied they DIDNT' sell out some shows, however I always believe U2 is rather under-appreciated in America, so that makes sense.

However, money-wise it can't exactly be called a failure, as they spent SOOO much money on it and yet somehow still made a profit ;).

Back
Top Bottom