U2 touring down under?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G'day

Do you guys recall the piece ABC "Recovery" and Dylan Lewis did when U2 were in Australia for Popmart?
They ran a competition to go to the concert and interview Edge. I have it on tape, a fuzzy copy, but whenever I stumble upon it, I LOVE it!!!........it is hilarious.:yes:
Someone mentioned the Burswood Dome in Perth and being amazed how they managed to fit the stage in there. Well according to Recovery, they couldn't fit the giant cocktail stick in there....
Was anyone here at that show? Did they really hand out cards with pictures of an olive on them? or was that just Dylan pulling my leg?(I fell for it)
The bit about the olive was hilarious, and the young girls reaction was a bit funny and Bono commenting on the Spice Girls and Dylan's short pants was very funny...
but there was nothing funny about the interview. Edge was so gracious and even with Dylan present, he took it seriously. The girl who won the competition was still at school, but once she got over her attack of nerves , she asked sensible questions and Edge gave her his consideration.
Anyway, happy memories of when they were last here.
I harbour a fantasy...they sneak into Australia, no fan fare, they play a series( a very very very loooooooooooong series. It's my fantasy, so I attend all of them, VIP in fact :wave: ) of low key unplugged almost (yay acoustic instruments) shows. How's them apples? I might give Mr McGuiness a call...HB Productions mate:yes:
I got it all worked out.............in my mind.

who's to say?
i don't know , which way the wind will blow.

Ewwww reality, the tyranny of distance and money and time and commitment. It's the not knowing that is the hardest for me. I can only afford to see one overseas band really, every now and then, so I'm "saving " myself for U2. There aren't too many others I want to see in concert , just as well.( if I was rich I sure would!!)
So until it is confirmed one way or the other I am kind of in concert limbo. That's OK too...they are well worth the wait.
I won't be disappointed whatever they decide, I'm a family person and a rock n roll widow and a dedicated U2 fan, so I want what is best for them...and I'm not talking about money.

The delay last year , as it turned out kind of suited me. And the way things are at the moment, and look like being this summer, I prefer they come later. The landscape is really starting to feel the effects of the dry. I'd prefer they experienced Oz in all it's glory, she's looking parched at the moment.

I am seriously going to try and corner Tim Farriss on Sunday night, and give him heaps about the "who's Bono?" comment.
And his "farming" practices. It feels starnge to be going to see INXS on the National Day of Mourning for the bomb victims in Bali. IA lot of Union players were killed , so the Wallabies will be a bit subdued maybe. I rang the resort, the show is going ahead.
(a cass aside: my son's union playing mate has been asked to come and play professional League for Manly...god bless his big smile and keep him safe, please. I love those boys/men)
I am just making this my big rambling Oz comment for the week.

I have connections to Kasey Chambers, so I am delighted her 'country" album won the ARIA. I was even more delighted be watching TV and her song came on an ad, with beautiful dogs and cats etc...
"am i not pretty enough, is my heart to broken
Do I cry to much, am I too outspoken?
Don't I make you laugh? should I try it harder?
Why do you see right thru me?......

She has given that beautiful song to the RSPCA.
I think that made me prouder of her than when she won the ARIA.( I saw her in 2000, sing a duet in concert with Emmylou Harris...very magic moment)

Has anyone heard "Tubular Cowbells" yet? by The Magnificent Seven( there are only five of them) :lol:

ahh I had my say. I'll take my chances.
I shall believe till my dying day, they are a great little 4 piece band and they are the best songwriters EVER!!

I will come for you at night time, I will raise you from your sleep, I'll kiss you in four places :larry: :adam: :bono: :edge:
As I go running along your street (with no name, lots of them here)

You will make me call your name

phew!

My goodness Cass, I thought Aussies were men/women of few words! Did Farris really say he hadnt heard of Bono? Strange, I always thought INXS imitated U2 to an extent. But anyway, you mentioned something about U2 coming to our end of the world and playing a series of low key gigs. Perfect! I've got a few ideas to compliment your brilliant epiphany(?)!

First, everybody on this thread seems in agreeance that bringing the whole show to Aus/NZ/S. Amer/Asia etc would be too expensive. So, instead, they just bring themselves. The local music dealers/manufacturers will supply the gear for free, in exchange for the publicity. The stage is easy to fix. The local community hall is really cheap and could fit at least 200 people. OK, so thats gear and stage worked out. As for accomodation, I'd be generous enough, as Im sure others of you would be, to let one of the lads stay at my humble abode for a while. If we got organised and billeted them, that would solve that problem nicely.

So, really the whole foreign exchange thing becomes irrelevant, as they won't be spending any money!
Of course convincing them may be challenging, but not impossible. For the NZ leg of the tour we could give them each a winters ski pass, and drive them to our various sheep stations, where they could see...sheep. We could sell it to them as an "all expenses paid holiday of a lifetime...with sheep". Has a good ring to it huh?
You Aussie lads and ladies could come up with something equally exciting Im sure, maybe "a day with the crocodile hunter"?

Anyway, the point is, they could bring nothing but themselves and play a crummy, effects free show in a dingy hall with crap lighting, and it'd still be the muts nuts to us. They have no excuses, damn it! :mad:

Not I said the fly

I'll try to be brief:lmao: :lmao:
Tim Farriss was just kidding when he said that. I am tempted to make a t-shirt for Sunday night with glow in the dark "Mr.BONO 2U" on it though.
The dreaded "what will I wear?" has begun.
Starlight...
starbright
First star I see tonight
Wish I may, wish I might
have the wish I wish tonight

make a wish

Back
Top Bottom