U2 Top 10 - from Wanadoo UK

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sallycinnamon78

New Yorker
Considering that I pay Wanadoo a fortune, I'll post this if I damn well want to, thanks.:) It's not the full article. Of course.

http://www.wanadoo.co.uk/music

The top ten U2 tracks
It is a quarter of a century since U2’s first full album and the biggest band in the world are still going strong. Over 25 years, they’ve released 12 studio albums and hundreds of tracks. Here we pick their top ten moments.

10. An Cat Dubh
Album: Boy
Best Bit: The glockenspiel on the chorus
Year: 1980
The finest moment on their first album, An Cat Dubh has recently been covered by The Bravery. It’s an eerie song, (the title means Black Cat) about the dark side in all of us and for the first time showed the band were capable of more than new wave anger.

Download song

9. Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me
Album: Batman Forever
Best Bit: The strings
Year: 1995
An outtake from the Zooropa sessions that found its way onto the Batman Forever soundtrack. U2 apparently thought it was too silly. Playful, perhaps - but also a joyous, glam-rock pop song with a great animated video.

Download song

7. I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For
Album: The Joshua Tree
Best Bit: The slow-burn intro
Year: 1987
The second single from The Joshua Tree confirmed U2’s place at the top of the rock tree. It is a straightforward song given a Latino touch by Daniel Lanois and Brian Eno’s production. The religious imagery of the lyrics were a sign of Bono’s desire to find greater depth and a more poetic side to his songwriting.

Download song

7. Numb
Album: Zooropa
Best Bit: Edge’s personality-filled vocal
Year: 1993
Van Diemen’s Land on Rattle And Hum, Edge’s previous vocal role, is a turgid over-serious affair. Numb, by contrast, is a funny, classy pop number. Edge mumbles rather than sings a number of orders over a simple backing until Bono roars in at the chorus. Often overlooked, it remains a class single.

Download song

6. Elevation
Album: All That You Can’t Leave Behind
Best Bit: Edge’s guitar riff
Year: 2001
The strongest single from their comeback album, Elevation features some nonsense lyrics, a huge riff and a back to basics approach. Put simply, it rocks. It is forever besmirched, however by being the theme tune to the frankly awful Tomb Raider film.

Download song

The next five tracks >>

Watch U2's new video >>

Last edited:
The top ten U2 tracks
We continue our countdown of U2's best ever tracks. Check out our list and then download your favourites.

Click here to have a look at their brand new video for the song City of Blinding Lights

5. Sunday Bloody Sunday
Album: Under a Blood Red Sky
Best Bit: Larry’s marching beat
Year: 1983
“This song is not a rebel song…” It’s a heartfelt, desperate plea for sense in Northern Ireland. Though the original on War is a fine song, it doesn’t have the anger and energy of the live version, which was recorded in West Germany.

Download song

4. The Fly
Album: Achtung Baby
Best Bit: Adam’s bass line
Year: 1991
U2’s astonishing metamorphosis from Rattle and Hum was instantly apparent from the opening dirty guitar riff on this, the first single from Achtung Baby. For such a massive band to risk such a change of direction was almost as stunning as when Bob Dylan took up an electric guitar. They got irony, critical acclaim and knocked Bryan Adams’s Everything I Do off the number one spot in one fell swoop.

Download song

3. New Year’s Day
Album: War
Best Bit: The chorus
Year: 1983
Only U2 could write a love song about Lech Walesa and his Polish Solidarity movement. Bono was attempting to capture the politician’s feelings for his wife while he was a political prisoner. The song, their first to chart in the top ten, is a microcosm of their work until Achtung Baby, containing Bono’s aching wail, Edge’s simple guitar pattern and a tight rhythm.

Download song

2.. With or Without You
Album: Joshua Tree
Best Bit: Bono’s uncertain singing in the verse
The first single from The Joshua Tree could be said to be the key single in tehir career. Crucially it reached number two in America, where it built up anticipation for the album, which took off beyond anyone's wildest dreams. Beautiful, wistful and catchy, the mystic lyrics mean that it’s impossible not to relate to it.

Download song

1. Pride
Album: Unforgettable Fire
Best Bit: Edge’s signature rhythm guitar
Year: 1984
The pumped-up tribute to Martin Luther King is perhaps U2’s best anthem – and they’ve done a few. It’s an arms-in-the-air ecstatic song which proudly displays their political passion. If you’re this serious, you have to make sure it is a great song. On this occasion, they did.

Download song

Back to the start >>

Watch U2's new video >>

More on music

U2 – City of Blinding Lights

Coldplay apparently have designs on U2’s position as the biggest rock band in the world. They’ve a way to go, particularly if Bono and the lads are so quick to latch on to their ideas - check out the Clocks-like piano riff on this track; then just add the classic U2 elements: big chorus, Edge’s rhythm and Bono’s soaring vocal. It’s not going to change the world, but this track’s uplifting, quality adult rock that makes Chris Martin look even more weedy.

http://www.wanadoo.co.uk/music/

sallycinnamon78 said:

2.. With or Without You
Album: Joshua Tree
Best Bit: Bono’s uncertain singing in the verse
The first single from The Joshua Tree could be said to be the key single in tehir career. Crucially it reached number two in America, where it built up anticipation for the album, which took off beyond anyone's wildest dreams. Beautiful, wistful and catchy, the mystic lyrics mean that it’s impossible not to relate to it.

I'm pretty sure With or Without You went to number one in America. I believe it stayed there for 3 weeks.

That's a great list! Pleased to see 'An Cat Dubh' in there...shame it's only getting a bit more attention just because of that 'cover' by the Bravery...

barlowdog said:

I'm pretty sure With or Without You went to number one in America. I believe it stayed there for 3 weeks.

You are absolutely correct, according to the official US chart site.. They missed that. I am about to email Wanadoo and tell them that their music journalist is an idiot and to ask him/her to get there facts straight!!!

All in a nice, polite and carefully phrased way, obviously. :lmao:

Palace_Hero said:
That is a nice list. Not the true ultimate top ten, but as a wide selection you can't go past it.

As a playlist it would be a good introducion to a new fan.

Yeah, agreed - they've come up with a very good intro for someone who may be interested in finding out more.

It's funny, the polarity over New Years Day. I really like it, personally. It seems to be like Marmite - the critics (fools) either love it or hate it... I haven't seen much 'middle ground' between the two extremes, in any reviews I've seen over the years. Maybe someone else has though!

Yeah I am not sure I see numb on this list in places of such classics as Bad.

Dare I suggest, Beautiful Day instead of elevation?

Tarvark said:
Yeah I am not sure I see numb on this list in places of such classics as Bad.

Dare I suggest, Beautiful Day instead of elevation?

Agreed.

each one with his own opinion... [/B]

Also agreed.

Last edited:
Elevation it is finally getting credit.
Pride is too high, but is a great song
Numb is decent
I don't like Hold me, thrill me, just end the song

A couple of weird choices on this list. Don't think Pride should be number 1. And Hold Me, Thrill me... :scratch:

I like that they picked An Cat Dubh. It's not the most obvious choice and I really like this song

But hey, everyone has to right to have their own opinion

Irishteen said:

I don't like Hold me, thrill me, just end the song

I don't dislike it, but I certainly wouldn't say it's one of my faves. My flabber was also gasted by the absence of One.

You'd be surprised with Hold Me, Thrill Me. The non-U2 fans I know absolutely adore it. I think the world of it as well, one of my definite favourites, but just saying it seems to be a song that really caught the attention of otherwise not U2 thrilled people.

It is criminal that 'One' is not on there.

Elevation?!?!? How about I write a list of the 50 best U2 songs that come before Elevation...

Earnie Shavers said:

Elevation?!?!? How about I write a list of the 50 best U2 songs that come before Elevation...

You do that and I'll add the other 25.

They made a critical error with saying WOWY hit #2 in America.
Yeah, you may not think it's a big deal, but U2 only have two #1 hits in America, I see no need to short-change them. :) Especially considering they haven't had much great single success in America lately.

As for the list, I love An Cat Dubh, but top 10 is absurd.
Same with Numb, love it, but top 10? C'mon
the rest are fine besides the most obvious one

Picking 10 definitive songs would be tough but if you took a poll here I don't think the list would look much like that. Oh well, an interesting list anywho.

Well, the person who wrote it didn't realise With Or Without You went to number one in America... maybe they're not such a huge fan. Or who knows? Maybe i's just a case of different tastes, etc.

sallycinnamon78 said:

4. The Fly
Album: Achtung Baby
BEST BIT: ADAM'S BASS LINE!!!!!
Year: 1991

This whole list sucks, and eats shit. I don't care for some jerk that says about The Fly something like that. Best bit doesn't exist. In that song:
-Bono sings perfectly his perfect lyrics
-Edge has the bet riff and solo
-Larry drums pretty hard
-Adam isn't noticeable at first, has his good line

Adam is not nearly good as Edge in this song.
Period. The Fly rules. Simply as that. I don't believe that nobody said anything about this yet.

Second: NO ONE!I understand no Bad, because it's u2 fans' song, but One is Bono's perfect voice.
Third:Hold me Thrill me.... WHY??? What is so good in this song and it's far better obviously than One?
Fourth:An cat dubh is good, underrated, really refrecshing in this list, but doesn't deserve to be here.
Fifth:pride is the best! They obviously lack brains.

Where are: I will follow, Out of control, The Electric Co, Gloria, The Unforgettable Fire, One tree hill, Even better than the real thing, Mysterious ways, Stay, Lemon, Discoteque, Mofo, Staring at the sun, Beautiful day, Walk on, Kite?
(These song are better than Pride and An cat dubh IMO)

Back
Top Bottom