U2: too dependant on Eno/Lanois ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2girl

Blue Crack Addict
We know they have a long history, they obviously work well together and they made U2's best albums.

But - do you think it's possible for U2 to make a great non Eno/Lanois album (some would argue War is great) ? What would their output be without them? Do you think U2 needs them to survive the years and is the collaboration getting predictable by now ? (they brought them after the first three albums to change their sound, again with JT to visit America, AB to get out of the 80's, later with ATYCLB to get out of the 90's and it seems like they're getting ready to leave the 00's and change their sound again with them)

Is it getting predictable? Yes.

Are they beginning to seem joined at the hip to these two? Yes.

Can U2 make a great album without them? Of course! Boy and War are classics, and it's not as if everything they've done with Enois has been sheer genius or anything. Remember ATYCLB? :wink:

However, if U2 thinks the duo are the best producers for the job, then so be it. I'm sure they'll do a great job with what they're given. :up:

I like Boy, but I wouldn't compare it to War/UF/JT/AB (I think these are the universally accepted best albums).

ATYCLB may not be as good as the other three Eno/Lanois albums but I like the run of first 6/7 songs and I think the first half is great. On par with their best work.

I guess what I'm saying is, would U2 be what/where they are without them ? Are they a great band on their own or are they, as Rollins said, "a below average act saved by very good production"?

Last edited:
U2girl said:

I guess what I'm saying is, would U2 be what/where they are without them ? Are they a great band on their own or are they, as Rollins said, "an average act saved by very good production"?

They would be brilliant with or without them. I think the fact that U2 are so brilliant live is the greatest proof of their quality as a band. And Rollins' quote is ridiculous; most U2 albums are horribly produced. :lmao:

For the band, choosing the two of them as producers may be mroe of a personal than an artistic choice. I guess they just feel connected to each other and like to work in each other's company, they have just grown to appreciate this way of working and are familiar with each other. With U2, it's all about community and loyality.

LemonMelon said:

And Rollins' quote is ridiculous; most U2 albums are horribly produced. :lmao:

He probably meant Eno has the "magic touch" that helps U2's music out of mediocrity. I know he said Eno has his magic sprinkled on Edge's "boring twang-twang" sound.

This forum pretty much worships Eno as it is. :shrug:

U2girl said:
I like Boy, but I wouldn't compare it to War/UF/JT/AB (I think these are the universally accepted best albums).

ATYCLB may not be as good as the other three Eno/Lanois albums but I like the run of first 6/7 songs and I think the first half is great. On par with their best work.

I guess what I'm saying is, would U2 be what/where they are without them ? Are they a great band on their own or are they, as Rollins said, "a below average act saved by very good production"?

Yeah, Rollins is a fucking moron, I'm not surprised by that statement at all.

Yes, of course, U2 would be brilliant without them, they just blend well and feel most comfortable with them as far as studio work goes...

U2girl said:

He probably meant Eno has the "magic touch" that helps U2's music out of mediocrity. I know he said Eno has his magic sprinkled on Edge's "boring twang-twang" sound.

This forum pretty much worships Eno as it is. :shrug:

Rollins should stop being a moron and listen to Edge's tone during the Boy era. I actually prefer it.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it :shrug:

I'm a bit of a romanticist, so I like to see them with Eno and Lanois. And I'm sure that not everything would centre around them anyway.

And besides, Bono wouldn't get to play guitar (or should that be wear?) anywhere near as much without Lanois.

So long as that floor guy who didn't delete Streets is still with them. Kinda like that bloke.

I really like the idea of having Eno and Lanois involved right at the beginning with the song writing process. This is completely new and it just may produce the new direction they need.

LemonMelon said:

They would be brilliant with or without them. I think the fact that U2 are so brilliant live is the greatest proof of their quality as a band. And Rollins' quote is ridiculous; most U2 albums are horribly produced. :lmao:

Bingo.

I think U2 is a great band almost ruined by their production, to be frank. :shrug: It's been horrible since JT.

Back
Top Bottom