U2 to quit??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KUEFC09U2

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
i just read a thread over on zootopia, were they have a picture from an irish newspaper with the headline "U2 TO QUIT", the story then goes on to say about how tired the band are etc,

please say this is just the usual newspaper gossip :|

scan.jpg

Yes, they're quitting so much they just announced 4th leg of the tour and have been dropping hints about the new album.

Ireland’s most famous rock band U2 are to go their separate ways, the Irish People has learned.

The Dublin foursome, whose career has spanned more than 25 years, are to take “an extended break” at the end of their current Vertigo World Tour.

The tour ends in America on December 19 but they are expected to announce a series of dates for Japan and Australia that will carry on into the New Year.

After that, however, it is not known when fans can expect to see the supergroup in action again. The band have been together since they met at school in 1976.

A perfectly placed source close to the group confirmed the decision has been taken by the band to pursue solo projects.

This will be the first time the multi-millionaire musicians have decided to work outside of the group.

However, the same source said the break did not mean the band had decided to split altogether.

And he denied point blankly that there had been any falling out between band members Bono, Edge, Larry and Adam.

The source said: “The band have discussed the situation during the present tour and have decided to give each other a bit of time and space.

“This has been one of the longest and most exhausting tours the band have ever undertaken.

“There’s certainly not a split in the camp or any bad feeling towards each other – U2 are as solid as ever.

“It’s just that the band have a number of solo projects they want to pursue and they need time to do them.”

It’s believed the decision for the extended break was taken by the band along with their manage Paul McGuiness.

It centres around a desire by lead singer Bono, who wants to pursue a number of global projects.

His well-publicised Drop The Debt campaign took up huge amounts of his time as he crossed the globe encouraging governments to wipe the debt of poorer states.

With Bono wanting to pursue his humanitarian goal, other members including Edge want to go down different routes.

It is understood the U2 lead guitarist wants to get involved in a number of other musical projects with different artists.

Meanwhile Adam Clayton, the only single member of the band, wants to pursue his passion of travelling.

It is not known what drummer Larry Mullen plans to do during the extended break.

Lead singer Bono is already on the record as saying the group will know when it is time to call it a day.

The band have been on the road with the present Vertigo tour since March, when they opened in San Diego.

Since then the group have played over 150 dates including three sell-out shows in Croke Park in June.

The source revealed that an official announcement on the decision could be made as early as the beginning of 2006. “There has been a lot of rumour – especially after the three Croke Park concerts – about the group splitting for good.

“The guys are not splitting up but they will definitely be taking a break from the rock world.

“They’ve worked their backsides off on this tour and so have their support crew. It’s not the end of U2 – it’s only the beginning. They’ll be back. We don’t know when but chances are they’ll be bigger than ever,” said the source.

This will be the first time the multi-millionaire musicians have decided to work outside of the group.

They've obviously never heard of Captive, or Mission: Impossible or Bono's myriad duets with other musicians.

If they can't even get that right, I doubt the validity of the entire claim.

Interesting - rumours I've read is the band is either a) going back to the studio after the tour or b) adding more shows after they finish leg 4. They will decide after they finish the next leg.

Tabloids aren't really known to be accurate sources...

Last edited:
i know what your saying U2girl, but personally i still think its slightly worrying

KUEFC09U2 said:
i know what your saying U2girl, but personally i still think its slightly worrying

Are you fucking insane...???? They've already announced a fourth leg of the tour. There have already been individual solo projects before. Bands always take breaks after tours, especially when they're a bit older. Remember the three year "break" between Elevation and How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb?

Not to mention, of course, that this was written by someone in the, for lack of a better term, European press. It might not be as bad as the so-called "journalism" (that's a laugh) in England, but it's still yellow as fucking shit.

I suppose I'm upset enough at everybody's concern that I should chill out, but Jesus...take a cue from me and do the same. I can't believe anybody thinks anything of this, especially since the article does a fantastic job at disproving itself. Fucking ridiculous.

quotes:

"u2 to quit"

"It’s not the end of U2 – it’s only the beginning. They’ll be back. We don’t know when but chances are they’ll be bigger than ever."

so which is it now?

RavenBlue said:
I hope it's rubbish, but it still makes me nervous.

Again, it's not rubbish. It doesn't say anything other than that the tour will be ending and that the band will rest afterwards.

More precedent?

End of Zoo TV: 1993. POP is released: 1997.

It's a red top, ie. it's not a reputable source.

That said I can see a longer break between the end of the tour and the next album. By the time they're done they could have been on the road for about a year, I think they'd like to chill a bit.

The British papers (ie The Sun) are usually full of crap, or quoting people wrongly or whatever.... I don't believe it (or want to believe it.....)

We don’t know when but chances are they’ll be bigger than ever,” said the source.

"said the source"... what source??? :hmm: :eyebrow: .... :lol:

Haven't the members of U2 done things on their own many, many times before, especially after a long tour? :huh:

I have no problem believing that some band member or Paul McGuiness or someone else has stated somewhere that they want to take a break and do things on their own - but the quitting thing is harder to believe.....and since this article is actually contradicting itself (see zoomerang's quotes), I choose not to believe it.

Back
Top Bottom