U2 to play o2 in the Autumn ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Boozyuzi

Acrobat
U2 to play o2 Arena in the Autumn ?

In todays The Sun in the UK - U2 are on course to sign a deal with London's o2 Arena for a record breaking run of gigs.

Quote from Paul McGuiness - "It's got great potential for U2 because it's under cover you can do a run of shows in the autumn"

Bit early but nowt booked so far inbetween 6th Oct - 8th November

Last edited:
Isn't this just a rehashing of an already debunked rumour? After all, it is The Sun.

It could happen though and might be a sign that U2 are not going to follow their traditional routine of warm up show pre-Xmas. Here's hoping that mix it up a bit.

Boozyuzi said:
It could happen though and might be a sign that U2 are not going to follow their traditional routine of warm up show pre-Xmas. Here's hoping that mix it up a bit.

Well, the "21 shows at O2 Arena" rumour that circulated last year was officially debunked.

I'm not believing this until it's reported by a reliable source. I consider some random Interference n00b with 1 post saying "I heard this from a friend who works at U2's studio" to be more reliable than The Sun!

Axver said:

Well, the "21 shows at O2 Arena" rumour that circulated last year was officially debunked.

I'm not believing this until it's reported by a reliable source. I consider some random Interference n00b with 1 post saying "I heard this from a friend who works at U2's studio" to be more reliable than The Sun!

The sun is actually a very reliable source, and from what Paul said its very positive.

edurban said:

Excuse me???:eek:

Have a look at this and we can talk again about the Sun's reliability.....

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/bizarre/article707149.ece

Yeah, now that's just shitty reporting, and gives me all the more reason to stand by my assertion that The Sun is little concerned with facts and more concerned with selling papers regardless of the merit or truthfulness of the content.

That said, it could be worse. It could be the Daily Mail.

smileplease said:
My mate in the music industry tells me this is TRUE.

Well, I said I consider some random Interference n00b with 1 post saying "I heard this from a friend who works at U2's studio" to be more reliable than The Sun. You get +76 points for having 77 rather than 1 post, but I'll deduct half of that for only having a friend in the music industry rather than specifically at U2's studio. Thus I shall decrease my skepticism levels by 0.36%. See, man of my word. :wink:

I expect the o2 to be a venue that they will play in the future. I've been to a couple of gigs there now and it's a great venue.

o2 have just about spared Labour's blushes.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
i really don't think u2 will perform before the album is released.

Last time around, they'd played five HTDAAB songs live before its release date. Some Vertigo Tour shows had less songs from HTDAAB than that (some had just three), so if this were true - and I'm just saying, if it were true, as I'm still highly skeptical - I don't think playing before/around the album's release date will be too much of a problem. Just the lead single and a couple of other cuts would be enough representation for a 22 song set.

Axver said:

Last time around, they'd played five HTDAAB songs live before its release date. Some Vertigo Tour shows had less songs from HTDAAB than that (some had just three), so if this were true - and I'm just saying, if it were true, as I'm still highly skeptical - I don't think playing before/around the album's release date will be too much of a problem. Just the lead single and a couple of other cuts would be enough representation for a 22 song set.

yes, i know... i was at the brooklyn bridge performance. but those performances were part of the typical album release publicity overload, and were short performances, not full scale concerts.

to reword... i highly doubt u2 would play a full scale concert before the release of the album.

No, but it demonstrates that the Sun *hides* some truths: just like they are just forgetting to say that Bono wore those glasses only for the performance, they might be fogetting to mention that the O2 rumor was denied months ago:wink:

I highly doubt its true, but it could happen in October, after the album gets released. But this would be a little weird, instead of a small promo tour, a run in a fairly large venue, when its doubtful they would have designed a new tour yet...

Whether they will play O2 or not, one thing's for sure; If it were true, I would go and check in for a number of shows.... :drool: :drool:

I can't see it happening this autumn unless the album is released sooner than later (and er what are the odds on that) but I wouldn't be surprised at all if U2 have a run at the O2. It's a great new venue and weren't McGuinness and some of the band checking it out at the recent Led Zepp reunion concert there? I also read a while ago (not in the Sun mind :wink: )that Joe O'Herley (sp?) U2's sound guy also helped out with the acoustics when it was being turned into an arena for concerts.

...and don't forget: There will be a word from the new tour sponsor! So why not think about O2 to finance the extravaganza, our boys wish for on & off stage.

Follow the slogan: "U2 can do"

Yeah, at some point, they might follow Madonna's Live Nation lead and sign on with AEG for all their future tours, music sales, DVDs, etc.

Hopefully, the U2 O2 t-shirts will look cool

Back
Top Bottom