U2 to play in Rock in Rio...what?s your opinion?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

follower

Refugee
Okay, we love rumours and especulations, right? The next album will be this or that way...the new tour will or won?t be back to US...they will or won?t have a ROW tour type.

So here is another one. I think most of you have read the news today...if not, here it goes:

from youtwo.net:
January 14, 2002
The organizers of the 4th annual Rock in Rio festival, which will take place January 17, 2003, are counting on a performance by U2.

According to an article in O Globo, the Brazilian producer R. Medina is negotiating with the Irish band for their second South American visit. Medina says, "U2 will come. That's for sure. They want to come back."
The festival organizers have also invited Peter Gabriel and Santana. Rock in Rio will be sponsored by America Online.

The full text (in Portuguese) is located at http://oglobo.globo.com/Suplementos/SegundoCaderno/12709227.htm

There are more details in the article. Mr. Medina said "the band had a look at the festival grounds from a helicopter and were impressed by the size of this "City of Rock", which was constructed by him for the last edition of the festival.

So what do you all think? Would it be a good or a bad move for U2, in your opinion? Would you come to see them?

smile.gif

------------------
"To me a rock and roll concert is 3-D, it?s a physical thing - it?s rhythm for the body. It?s a mental thing in that it should be intellectually challenging. But it?s also a spiritual thing, because it?s a community, it?s people agreeing on something, even if it?s only for an hour and a half." (Bono, as quoted in the book U2 The Road to Pop)

[This message has been edited by follower (edited 01-14-2002).]

Originally posted by follower:

So what do you all think? Would it be a good or a bad move for U2, in your opinion? Would you come to see them?
smile.gif

How could it be a bad thing?
smile.gif
I hope they do come, but unfortunately, as much as I would love to visit Brazil, I wouldn't be able to come.
frown.gif
No $$

------------------
...the steam of my misfortunes, has given me the power to be afraid.

i think its cool. didnt rem play there last year too?

whos playing this year?

------------------
-death bear

Maria is that a rhetorical question? MAMAMIA I was just reading the GLOBO news report (you know the untranslated one) I get chills just thinking about. In all seriousness I'm in tears right now. OMG there isn't a smiley face to convey how happy I am. I assume you're going, so I'll definately see you there. We need to start making plans girl!!!

You don't know who else will be on the bill yet, they're speculating the Canadian act Rush and Peter Gabriel, as well as Santana and the The Who. Their budget is much bigger than last year as result of more sponsors so you can be assured a huge show.

------------------
Long live the lemon!!!

Thanks for your responses.

One problem is: I haven?t never heard of U2 taking part in any festival nowadays, like this one...they have shared the stage with other artists but in a minor scale. The exception obviously is Slane Castle.

In the article, Mr.Medina said also that he intended to promote a festival only with Brasilian music in the middle of the past 2001 and he wanted to bring U2 as the only international act but he decided to postpone his project (I assume the Elevation Tour might have influenced him).

Rock in Rio is a very well-organised festival and Roberto Medina is a competent promoter, he really knows how to make things happen. You can say I?m biased (what I am in fact when it comes to this issue) but I think it could be a good move for U2 to participate in this next edition of the festival.

Unfortunetaly I still don?t believe that U2 will come to this part of the world with their own tour...there are lots of well-known problems in Argentina...I don?t know about Chile or M?xico....but I don?t think they would come only to Brasil. So maybe taking part in Rock in Rio, with all the structure already built there in the City of Rock and a huge audience (not only of Brasilians) could be interesting. My dream is not likely to come true, but anyways if you wanna know it is to have U2 and REM in the same night in Rock in Rio...

Yes death bear, REM was by far the best performance in the last festival IMO, never saw Michael Stipe so happy. I think mbi16 answered you other question, the whole thing is just starting.

Marina, lets keep our fingers crossed...and maybe finally we can meet there in Rio.

smile.gif

------------------
"To me a rock and roll concert is 3-D, it?s a physical thing - it?s rhythm for the body. It?s a mental thing in that it should be intellectually challenging. But it?s also a spiritual thing, because it?s a community, it?s people agreeing on something, even if it?s only for an hour and a half." (Bono, as quoted in the book U2 The Road to Pop)

[This message has been edited by follower (edited 01-15-2002).]

Oh Maria Teresa, you kow how I feel, I keep hoping U2 will make it to Brazil as much as I hope to have them back here.
I think U2's promo visit to Brazil in 2000 was a good sign for the future, so keep up the hope.
And I'd love to visit your beautiful country but that would be a money issue.

I think that would be a GREAT move for U2.

------------------

be uncool, yes be awkward

I see nothing wrong with it. I'm sure someone will find some reason to complain about it though.

------------------
Look what you did, you little JERK!

Kevin! You're such a disease!

Back
Top Bottom