U2 to perform at Grammys? (wild speculation)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ThatGuy

Refugee
Did anyone else notice the brief clip of Bono on the Grammy commercials CBS was airing last night? They were showing several clips of artists set to perform, and then the voice-over announcer said something like, "...with a performance from a very special guest..." Then they showed a very brief clip of Bono. I thought it was strange since, unlike the other artists they were showing on the commercial, U2 aren't up for any awards this year and (supposedly) don't have an album coming out soon. However, if this is the kickoff of promotion for a new album, it would fit with the information presented in this thread.

The ad mentioned performances by Prince and a reunited Earth Wind and Fire. Who else is big enough to be an unnamed "very special guest?"

Here's a link from the Grammy website listing the currently announced performers.

http://grammy.com/news/academy/2004/0202perf04.aspx

There is suppose to be a special tribute to the Beatles. I dont know if that is a performance or some type of video montage. My "guess" would be if he was performing it would have something to do with that and would only include Bono as far as U2 is concerned, not the rest of the band.

Nope, they mentioned the Beatles tribute in the TV spot, and it's listed in the link I provided. It has to be something else.

ThatGuy said:
Nope, they mentioned the Beatles tribute in the TV spot, and it's listed in the link I provided. It has to be something else.

Yes, but does it say exactly what the tribute is and who is performning in it if it is a performance. Obviously we knew there was going to be a tribute as I just mentioned it previously. I dont think they have said exactly what it is. If they have, then you are right. Otherwise I dont know how that can be dismissed simply because they said there would be a tribute???

Last edited:
i don't think that was a clip of bono. i saw it real quick, and it looked more like elvis costello, but then again, i don't know why costello would be there either.

you can pretty much assume that U2 will NOT perform at the Grammy's. an award show like the Grammy's would not have a band promote its upcoming album on their show. and the award U2 is up for isn't one of the top awards, so having them there would be pointless. it won't happen, period.

Right in the beginning of the commercial, there was a wide shot of the Slane concert I think

Prince is performing??? Wow, I hope that's true! :up:

I was thinking Bono or Bono and the Edge might participate in a Johnny Cash tribute if they had one - I can't imagine they wouldn't have a tribute for someone as beloved as The Man in Black the first Grammy Awards after his passing. This is the first I've heard they were doing a Beatles tribute. Cool! :up: Maybe that's what the U2 members are participating in. I'm trying not to get my hopes up, though. If they decide they'd rather stay in Dublin and work on their new album, I would understand.

Thus far, I haven't seen any mention of a Johnny Cash tribute, which is completely mind-boggling. A tribute to Waren Zevon has been announced, though. A tribute to The Beatles has been planned because the night of the Grammys coincides with the 40th anniversary of The Beatles' first appearance on the Ed Sullivan Show (which was also on CBS, like the Grammys).

I'm happy Warren Zevon is getting a tribute, but it does seem shocking that Johnny Cash isn't getting one. Maybe they just haven't announced it yet.

david said:
Why do the Beatles need a tribute?

Their 40th Anniversary on Ed Sullivan is irrelevant. The producers looked at the nominees, realized there was no reason for anyone over the age of 30 to watch the show, and added something to drawn in the baby-boomers and fans of classic rock.

My opinion on U2 performing: it won't happen. U2 is too big to keep secret. If CBS landed a deal with U2 it would be ludacris to keep it on the down-low when advertising the performance would guarantee bigger ratings. ;) (U2 is simply THAT cool) :)

Now, the theory about Bono singing a Beatles tune during the tribute would be logical. He's definitely a fan of the group and would add credence to the idea. It's also likely he's not going to be too busy to pay tribute to one of his favorite bands. Why would he pass up the oppurtunity?

i'd rather have U2 record a late album than do cover songs at pointless award shows.

dsmith2904 said:
Thus far, I haven't seen any mention of a Johnny Cash tribute, which is completely mind-boggling. A tribute to Waren Zevon has been announced, though. A tribute to The Beatles has been planned because the night of the Grammys coincides with the 40th anniversary of The Beatles' first appearance on the Ed Sullivan Show (which was also on CBS, like the Grammys).

U2 already performed at one playing "don't take your guns to town"...not bad, a little regae sounding.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
bono is DEFFINETLY featured in a very very short clip durring that "don't miss the surprise opening" segment.

The surprise is that Bono is going to walk out on stage and be attacked by a throng of conservatives, who will beat him to a bloody pulp live, for the children of America to see, while yelling, "Thou shalt not swear!"

Last edited:
Isn't that commercial just a montage of past performances or nominees? I think it's just a coincidence that they show Bono right at that moment.

It sure would be great if he did show up :)

Back
Top Bottom