U2 to break up?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Another Day

The Fly
I just read this longass article about Bono's lobbying efforts on behalf of Africa:

http://tinyurl.com/946lu

(You'll have to sign-in with the NY Times to read the entire article... signing up is easy and free)

So, anyway, I'm reading this really interesting article and growing more and more impressed with Bono's hard work behind the scenes, good job Bono!

I finally get to the last page, page 14, and then I read this quote from Adam:

It has been a frantic time, this year of Africa. The other members of the band love the cause, but they fret that Bono's hobby is eclipsing his day job. "The band has survived," Adam Clayton told me, "but there's been a price in terms of relationships."

Huh?

What the FUCK does THAT mean, Adam?

"The band has survived"?????

"a price in terms of relationships"????!!!!!

Oh, man.

I wonder what Adam is thinking about all this right now.

Bono is smart enough to know that without U2, his power of persuasion will carry a lot less force.

However, if Adam left the band and was replaced by some other random dude, would U2 still be as big as they are now? Would Bono curtail his admirable efforts if Adam or other bandmates thought it was hurting the group's unity?

Hmmm.....

Last edited:
Well, like he said, the band survived. Maybe by "relationships" he meant friendships and not the band in general? Like Bono's gone so much, and when he's around, they work on U2 stuff, that there's not extra time to just be friends and do non-Africa, non-U2 stuff?

U2wedge,

I don't know, man, I don't think replacing Adam would be the deathknell for the group as a whole.

I'd miss him, of course, and we'd probably all get on here and rag on the replacement bassist (unless it's Bootsy Collins or someone like that), but I think U2 would continue to make epic music and produce kickass concerts with Adam or Bootsy or Flea or that dude from Flock Of Seagulls.

Last edited:
Another Day said:
U2wedge,

I don't know, man, I don't think replacing Adam would be the deathknell for the group as a whole.

I'd miss him, of course, and we'd probably all get on here and rag on the replacement bassist (unless it's Bootsy Collins or someone like that), but I think U2 would continue to make epic music and produce kickass concerts with Adam or Bootsy or Flea or that dude from Flock Of Seagulls.

Oh I agree completely that they could still make good music.

I don't know... I just can't picture any of them without the other three. Do you think they'd stay together if one bowed out?

I'd love it if Flea stepped in for a few songs though, that'd be interesting!

I can't imagine U2 without Adam, it just wouldn't be the same.

However, other great bands soldiered on when they lost key members, didn't they.

Remember when Paul Taylor left Winger? That didn't slow them down a bit.

Last edited:
Adam's not the only one who's been irked by Bono's extra-curriculars. Edge recently talked about how the band was annoyed during the making of ATYCLB due to Bono's work on Jubilee 2000 and the Millennium Promise. Still, I don't think there's anything new here----tensions have been high on almost every album they've made, save maybe for Boy and Zooropa, and the latter was smooth because Edge pretty much slept in the studio and did the whole thing himself!

I don't think Adam's quote points to anything the band hasn't experienced before and gotten through quite well.

p.s.--U2 has gone on without Adam before--the infamous Sydney ZooTV show--but came back together with their bonds even stronger. :hug:

It's interesting to see Bono in NYC today. Sometimes I think that these guys eat/breathe their thing, and it's just a reality check to see that they have other interests. Well, I'm not sure what Larry, Edge, and Adam do in their spare time, but we all see what Bono does.

u2wedge said:
It's interesting to see Bono in NYC today. Sometimes I think that these guys eat/breathe their thing, and it's just a reality check to see that they have other interests. Well, I'm not sure what Larry, Edge, and Adam do in their spare time, but we all see what Bono does.

I would love to know when the man sleeps, he's a constant machine :crazy:

Utoo,

Good points.

However, I wonder how 'hungry' they still are. After conquering the world three different times over the past 25 years, how much motivation is there to do it all over again the next time around?

If Adam and Edge get fed up with Bono, I doubt they'd stick around much longer, especially with Edge's family situation.

After this gigantic tour is finished next year after touring Oz and S.A., we might have to wait a rather long while before they head back to the studio to start it all over again.

Ergo, enjoy them while we can, friends, savor every note.

If the galaxy caves in and U2 does break up, would any of them put out solo records?

I want to hear Adam singing.

I would actually pay to hear Edge's solo record.

70 minutes of guitar treatments, yowza.

Maybe U2 should break up, I'd buy Bono's rap album.

I could never seem them breaking up. If Adam wanted to leave, that would be the end of the band. But I don't think they're be a break up; I think that U2 would "retire" and fade away - no tabloids, no farewell tours, none of that.

But I doubt this is the time. After the next album when they're contractual obligations are fulfilled? Maybe. I do think we're seeing their swan song as to mega world tours, though. Next album, if it's a full release and not a "Zooropa" (an album produced in the midst of a tour to promote the tour's next legs), I bet we'll see a much shorter tour, fewer singles, etc. I don't think anything's gonna happen soon, but am I just the only one who's starting to sense a band looking for closure?

05d063d9.jpg

12b523f6.jpg

fde648b0.jpg

5e24b24b.jpg

feel the tension :|

:lol:

You can cut right through it!!

I heard U2 was breaking up too!! Then I woke up and realized it was just a nightmare.

Remember this "we're going away to dream it all up again". DJ's swore that this meant U2 was through. I heard this thrice in 1990. What year is it now?

kellyahern said:
05d063d9.jpg

12b523f6.jpg

fde648b0.jpg

5e24b24b.jpg

feel the tension :|

:lol:

Knowing the early relations between Adam and the rest of the guys decades back, I absolutely love seeing pictures like this! :wink:

Thanks, Kelly!

caragriff said:
by the way, adam said that back in may.
it's just one random quote.
as kelly showed above--pictures are worth a thousand words.
those guys are like brothers, and i'm sure they have grown apart and back together many times.

Exactly! Keep in mind that the guys have said that they are having more fun on this tour than they have in years. They were all commenting on how enjoyable it was to perform together right now, not that they weren't before. Also, it seems as if every other day Bono has mentioned how U2 is only getting started.

To me, this band seems hungry, rejuvenated, and ready to take on the world. I'm predicting a monster album to follow-up HTDAAB, too.

nobody reads this

u2wedge said:
Adam being replaced = U2 officially 'Jumping the shark'.

haven't you learned nothing from TC... JUMPING THE COUCH :wink:

well... when U2 retires, that'll mean people crying and complaining... others happy because their set list weren't so good anymore...

when U2 makes the comebcak, everybody will be happy and glad to hear the warhorses...

then, by the next year (or month) people will complain about the set list and start a new "U2 breaking up?" thread... right here, on Interference.com :wink:

Back
Top Bottom