U2 to break up?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
U2 is too much of musical legend for them break up voluntarily.

Like Bono said, being in a band is like being in a gang or the priesthood. You don't get out of either of them alive.

They're in this for the long haul. If Edge, et. al. were going to leave, they would have done it a long time ago.

And by those pictures, just maybe they're mending any rifts while they're on stage?

Last edited:
Adam probably just meant the tension between the rest of them and Bono, due to Bono not being around as much on the last two albums.
We know Edge (Larry too, I think?) said they didn't like him "shaking hands with politicians".

That said, I don't think anyone's leaving the band anytime soon.

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
Well, like he said, the band survived. Maybe by "relationships" he meant friendships and not the band in general? Like Bono's gone so much, and when he's around, they work on U2 stuff, that there's not extra time to just be friends and do non-Africa, non-U2 stuff?

That's about what I got out of it. It's not like this concept should surprise anyone...how could that not affect the social dynamics?

The concert photos, while cute, are useless for proving how close they are as friends. That kind of closeness thrives in the quiet, ordinary, everyday forms of interaction that take place far beyond the world of arenas and recording studios. Mick and Keith still act pretty chummy onstage too, yet freely admit they grew apart as close friends decades ago. I doubt Adam meant anything that final, but the bottom line is none of us would be in a position to know.

U2 is not breaking up. They aren't going to get rid of Adam. Adam never said there was tension. They are a mature band and they are friends. If they were going to break up, they would have done it by now. They love each other. Remember their Hall of Fame induction speeches? Adam was ready to take a bullet for Bono, and Bono obviously hasn't forgotten.

no way, in "recnet" interview they got asked that:

Bono:
"thers one rule, two crap records ina row, and were out, thats it, other than that, bring it on"

Rachel D. said:
U2 is not breaking up. They aren't going to get rid of Adam. Adam never said there was tension. They are a mature band and they are friends. If they were going to break up, they would have done it by now. They love each other. Remember their Hall of Fame induction speeches? Adam was ready to take a bullet for Bono, and Bono obviously hasn't forgotten.

Thank God someone here put my fears to rest. In those picks Adam looks like he is in his 50's!

i hope they don't break up, especially if they do what INXS did and do a reality show to get a new member

sorry if people like that show but i think it's dodgy!

If they broke up i'd cry, U2's music has inspired me and makes me happy, more than any other band. I luv them (ask my BF:wink: )

No, that show is very, very dodgey. It's an offence to INXS fans everywhere, and I honestly can't think of anyone who'd want to participate in it, let alone even watch it without either laughing or crying.

And what do you win after all this shit? You're the frontman for a band that nobody's even cared for in ten years. Wonderful.

I really don't think U2 will ever do something like that, though. There's a difference between the U2 and INXS fanbase these days.

With a title like 'U2 to break up', how has this thread not been flamed to the darkest depths of hell???

:wink:

smurf_sista said:
If they broke up i'd cry, U2's music has inspired me and makes me happy, more than any other band. I luv them (ask my BF:wink: )

Same for me. Well, don't ask my BF, coz I don't have one, but umm yeah.

Woo

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
Well, like he said, the band survived. Maybe by "relationships" he meant friendships and not the band in general? Like Bono's gone so much, and when he's around, they work on U2 stuff, that there's not extra time to just be friends and do non-Africa, non-U2 stuff?

Exactly!

Adam's actually been the most positve supporter of what Bono's doing.

"We wouldn't get any more of him if he wasn't doing this stuff," Clayton says, noting that it's great fun to watch Bono turn his acuity and Irish charm on politicians and CEOs. "These guys don't expect him to have a grasp of the subject matter. He's able to go in with the facts and figures, talk circles around them, and suddenly, where they thought they were just going to get their picture taken with him, he's gotten something out of them before the picture.

"You can't deny the penetration he has achieved," Clayton says. "And it makes the rest of us realize that what we do is important to the group. We need to keep it going forward, to allow him to come in and out. Bono has a legitimate reason not to be around all the time. And we have a legitimate reason to make sure that the time we are all together is used wisely."--Rolling Stone.

Then there's this article posted in another area of this forum.
http://forum.interference.com/t139284.html

Edge and Larry have been supportive, but their words were not as positive as Adam's.

Larry says U2 is a four-legged table, if one person is not there, it gets a little unstable.

For all we know, maybe Adam or someone in the U2 camp read the Interference message boards.

People complain about albums every 4 years, "Bono's lyrics aren't as good"...they do know about this forum ye know.

Not to mention, Bono is a husband and father of 4, you don't think there's some strain in his relationship with his own family with him already being in a rock band, add globe-trotting humanitarian...

Maybe Adam was thinking more about the relationships among Bono's family and friends, including U2.

I read an interview with Adam from earlier in the tour, talking about the strain and upheaval in his own life, when they go on tour, and of not being there for people in his life.

If he feels that with his own family and friends, I imagine he feels the other 3 go through the same, even more so considering the 12 children between the other 3?

If Adam or Larry leave the band, that will effect the band, U2 isn't just Bono and Edge.

Last edited:
monke said:

Bono:
"thers one rule, two crap records ina row, and were out, thats it, other than that, bring it on"

Bono said that? :wink:

If any member of u2 quite the band I wouldn't listen to them anymore, it just wouldnt be the same for me anymore.

I don't think LMJ is the greatest drummer in the world, but if he quit it wouldn't be the same.

but anyway, u2 arent going anywhere. Adam seems to be having the most fun on this tour out of everyone.

jonnytakeawalk said:

Nah, just kidding! ATYCLB is pretty good :wink:

Their next album better be good though or it might be 'bye bye U2'

As much as I disagree, I believe Bono considered "Pop" crap. Before ATYCLB they were saying if this album wasn't great they would quit.

I dont know how they measure "crap"...POP was awesome. I loved it but I also loved ATYCLB and the Bomb.

Either way, selling millions of albums and selling out a world tour, and hitting no. 1 in so many countries....I don't see the band looking at the last album as "Crap."

RademR said:

Either way, selling millions of albums and selling out a world tour, and hitting no. 1 in so many countries....I don't see the band looking at the last album as "Crap."

Their sold out tours really aren't much of an indication of how great bomb is. I'm not a fan of bomb but if U2 ever get around to touring Australia (once they finish their zillionth leg touring North America :madspit:) I'd without question go see them. No doubt about that!

Just cause bomb's sold heaps also doesn't mean it's a good album, the strength of ATYCLB insured sales for the following album would be very high (Not to mention the strength of albums like achtung or joshua tree.) People have high expectations of U2. U2 have produced the goods before so why wouldn't people go out and by bomb blindly thinking they'll produce the goods again?!

Sales definetly aren't an indication of how good an album is, hip hop albums dominate the charts :huh:

But for the band, especially Bono, being "the biggest band in the world" is obviously important. So sales is important in a way for them. If POP sold more in the US, won grammys, and the tour was a smashing success critically, would Bono be saying the same things about "Pop"? Doubt it.

jonnytakeawalk said:

Also, I don't think Bono considered pop crap. He's said before that he believes U2 has never made a 'crap' album, despite what critics might say

maybe...but you should check out that interview he had in a Chicago paper a few months back. Bono went into depth about POP and he came across to me like he thought it was a little bit of a dissapointment.

RademR said:

maybe...but you should check out that interview he had in a Chicago paper a few months back. Bono went into depth about POP and he came across to me like he thought it was a little bit of a dissapointment.

He thinks it was a crap album...but had great songs....just they never got to finish the songs to their liking...but he has said that Please is one of his favourite songs:shrug:

jonnytakeawalk said:

Their sold out tours really aren't much of an indication of how great bomb is. I'm not a fan of bomb but if U2 ever get around to touring Australia (once they finish their zillionth leg touring North America :madspit:) I'd without question go see them. No doubt about that!

Just cause bomb's sold heaps also doesn't mean it's a good album, the strength of ATYCLB insured sales for the following album would be very high (Not to mention the strength of albums like achtung or joshua tree.) People have high expectations of U2. U2 have produced the goods before so why wouldn't people go out and by bomb blindly thinking they'll produce the goods again?!

But... "Bomb" *is* a good album. And just because "Pop" didn't sell tons it doesn't mean it was a bad album. One could argue that "Zooropa" and "Pop" both sold because of the strength of AB and U2's history.

This nonsense about "two bad albums" is just more Bongolese. Who's to judge what's "bad"? Even Edge states that "Pop" sold something like 7M around the world - hardly poor numbers. In fact, the 1.5M copies "Pop" sold in the U.S. is actually very strong. Sure, by U2's standards it's low, but there have been plenty of big names who have failed to sell that many copies of an album (see R.E.M., Madonna, the American Idol kids, Mariah Carey, etc.). So for U2's weakest selling album in recent times to still sell that well is proof of how popular this band is.

However, calling "Bomb" crap is really subjective and has nothing to do with U2 "breaking up".

Back to subject,

U2 had alot of tension when recording Achtung Baby and almost broke up over it. The result: a masterpiece album and the ultimate relationship/unity song: ONE. Maybe this tension can be channeled into another great album (not that the albums since AB weren't great)

Back
Top Bottom