U2 Tipped for Global Warming Gig

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
harsh words from financeguy - but honestly, he's right.

how much energy do you think a tour like zoo-tv, popmart, vertigo etc. consumes?

rock stars that embark on tours like that should definitely be quiet about global warming and energy consumption.

U2Man said:
harsh words from financeguy - but honestly, he's right.

how much energy do you think a tour like zoo-tv, popmart, vertigo etc. consumes?

rock stars that embark on tours like that should definitely be quiet about global warming and energy consumption.

i agree with you there. This is why I highly doubt that U2 is at associated with this event.

U2lunatic said:
Washington, London :madspit: Why they can't play near me in Vienna :sad:

I was in Vienna last semester - you can get to London via Bratislava for about 40 euro round trip if you buy at the right time. I'll be hopefully in Germany when this occurs and I'll definately fly over to London...so I'm hoping that's where U2 goes.

I saw this a few days ago in the Financial times with no mention of U2 - I'm wondering if it's the live8 comparison that's fuelling (haha) the speculation. Yes, it's hypocritical to fly jets around the world to speak against global warming, and it's borderline-partisan because of Gore, but it is (at least billing itself as) different in that it is asking not for money but for awareness and change - an interesting and potentially productive idea that U2 might be interested in.

financeguy said:
Ah yes, the hilarious hypocrisy of a bunch of wealthy rockstars travelling the globe using the most fuel inefficient, polluting mode mode of transport known to humanity while lecturing the rest of us on conserving energy.

Have they no shame?

Seemingly not.

Overall, it's another nail in the coffin of Paul Hewson's reputation -the man is an utter hypocrite.

they should just make it an AOL webcast a la Live8 so hundreds of thousands of people don't have to drive/fly/train all over the world to get to the venue.

and I suppose it could be acoustic to boot.

The usual over-reaction of course.
The question is: What are YOU guys doing against global warming?
Apart from that I, personally, don't think that the world needs any more Live 8 style concerts, whatever cause they may support.

LyricalDrug said:
Well, Gore and Richard Branson made a big announcement this afternoon about global warming, but made no mention of any concerts. Oh well...

[/url]

i thought they'd mentioned it. maybe it was something else i'd heard while watching sky news though. i wouldn't put money on any of these concerts happening. as i said though if they do they need to be in america and china. the big guns that don't believe.

Branson makes sense though. he knows we'll never be able to cut emissions. therefore we should focus on withdrawing CO2 from the atmosphere.

However, I'm still not convinced that carbon is so drastically affecting our planet. for anybody who's interested do some searches for a guy called 'Piers Corbyn' and try to get one of his reports. Personally I think his argument and evidence for the sun's particle intensity affecting the temperature is flawless and makes much more sense.

Yeah, I agree with you, but I still want to believe they will be performing, call me a dreamer, hehe. It will all be confirmed later in the week, I think the 15th.

Sunny8

financeguy said:
Ah yes, the hilarious hypocrisy of a bunch of wealthy rockstars travelling the globe using the most fuel inefficient, polluting mode mode of transport known to humanity while lecturing the rest of us on conserving energy.

Have they no shame?

Seemingly not.

Overall, it's another nail in the coffin of Paul Hewson's reputation -the man is an utter hypocrite.
ah yes because they have "definatly" been announced to play, so its totally fair for you to call someone a hypocrite even though they havent even been announced yet?

Also, i suppose he was a hypocrite during the whole stop sellafield thing aswell right? or was he "cool" then because it was ZooTv era?

LOS ANGELES — Snoop Dogg, Pharrell, the Red Hot Chili Peppers, the Black Eyed Peas, Fall Out Boy, Akon, John Legend, Kelly Clarkson, John Mayer, the Foo Fighters, AFI and Sheryl Crow are among the artists scheduled to take part in a series of international concerts organized by former vice president and environmental advocate Al Gore, it was announced on Thursday (February 15) at the California Science Center.

The concerts are aimed at raising public awareness about global warming. The shows, which organizers have said will be bigger than 1985's Live Aid concerts, will take place on July 7 — 7/7/07 — in seven cities: London; Shanghai, China; Sydney, Australia; Johannesburg, South Africa; and cities to be determined in Brazil, Japan and the United States. The events, which will combine film, music and televised material, are expected to reach an audience of more than 2 billion people.

Participating artists also announced on Thursday include Lenny Kravitz, Bon Jovi, Paolo Nutini, Melissa Etheridge, Damien Rice, Corinne Bailey Rae, Duran Duran, Snow Patrol, Enrique Iglesias, Maná, Keane, Korn, Faith Hill, Tim McGraw and Bloc Party; many more will be announced at a later date, as more than 100 artists are expected to perform.

The announcement was made by Cameron Diaz, Gore, Pharrell and concert organizer Kevin Wall at a press conference.

I'm hoping U2 are on the list when they announce more artists names in a month's time.

Pleasantly surprised they included Sydney, Australia as one of the countries to host the concerts - good one.

Sunny

U2Man said:
[/B]
Uhh... basically nothing compared to the shitloads used by multinational corporations and factories all over the world. Even if all giant rock tours like that were cancelled, it wouldn't mean a pinch of shit because our usage is dwarfed.

Back
Top Bottom