U2 Ticket Hypothetical

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Screwtape2

Blue Crack Addict
Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Dr
Would you avoid going to multiple shows on a tour if it meant that someone who hadn't seen them on this tour could experience the magic of a U2 concert?

Also, do you think that going to multiple shows in real life actually prevents people who haven't seen a show from going?

Be honest. :)

Yes I would avoid it if it meant somebody who has never seen them live gets a chance. And I went to only 2 shows on Vertigo anyway. But you know what's gonna happen... the poor fan who has never seen them will not be the one that gets that ticket... it will be some fucking scalper trying to make a profit on ebay... OMG fucking die!!! :mad: Sorry... :shifty:

Yes I would avoid it if it meant somebody who has never seen them live gets a chance. And I went to only 2 shows on Vertigo anyway. But you know what's gonna happen... the poor fan who has never seen them will not be the one that gets that ticket... it will be some fucking scalper trying to make a profit on ebay... OMG fucking die!!! :mad: Sorry... :shifty:

:lol:

I agree. I'm not one of those that feels the need to see U2 7,000 times on one tour although I don't think it would really be 'taking away' from someone else.. anyone could get a ticket if they really wanted it.

Since I live in Ohio, the closest U2 will probably come to me is Cleveland. That's not too far for me (2.5 hours). With gas prices, I will probably only be able to afford to travel to one show, and that will most likely be Detroit. I wish U2 would come to Indy and Columbus like they did on Elevation, but those shows didn't sell out, so I doubt the will. (Technically they did sell out, but only because the tickets behind the stage weren't put on sale.) So of the millions of tickets put on sale, I will only be taking 2, so I don't feel I'm really hurting anyone too bad.

If there were some way I could know that the ticket want to buy might instead go to someone who'd never seen them before, then yes.

Like, I knew there was only one ticket left for this show, and I was standing there with someone who'd never seen it, then yeah, I'd let them buy it.

But no, I don't think me buying a ticket for 3-5 shows means that someone else does not get to see them.

I'm more likely to look at some tool standing in the crowd playing with their cell phone or blackberry instead of being in the moment of the concert and think "That ticket should have gone to someone who wants to be here."

But then again, if I did give up the last remaining ticket to the person who hadn't seen them before, who's to say that person isn't going to be a tool playing with their cell phone?

Nah I wouldn't go along with it. Last tour was the first time I saw U2 live and I thought I'd only go to 2 shows. I ended up seeing 6 shows. I wouldn't have gone to any more and I think it's crazy seeing them dozens of times in a tour. But I saw more than a fair share of people who were obviously NOT fans, who were bored stiff and that bothered me. Why not THOSE individuals give their tickets to fans who really want to see the show? Those people were probably the "priviledged" that were taken to the show, knew somebody who knew somebody who got them tickets or passes, those who for whatever reason got free tickets.....maybe the number of passes and freebies should be reduced in order to allow more paying fans to see shows? Also, I believe there were last minute tickets dropped at nearly all shows (In the US anyway).

I learned a LOT about how to get tickets this last tour some from some hard core fans.

I agree. I'm not one of those that feels the need to see U2 7,000 times on one tour although I don't think it would really be 'taking away' from someone else.. anyone could get a ticket if they really wanted it.

Really? When tickets for the Omaha show went on sale they sold out before I could get any. Tickets appeared on eBay but they were incredibly out of any of my family's price range. It wasn't as much a case of not wanting to pay that much as simply not being able to afford. At least in my experience I couldn't get a ticket even though I really wanted it.

Really? When tickets for the Omaha show went on sale they sold out before I could get any. Tickets appeared on eBay but they were incredibly out of any of my family's price range. It wasn't as much a case of not wanting to pay that much as simply not being able to afford. At least in my experience I couldn't get a ticket even though I really wanted it.

Yeah that happened to me too! and not just with U2... all bands! Tickets for the most popular bands sell out in minutes, sometimes seconds because there are these bastards buying just to sell on ebay for a profit! I wish there was a way to stop this.

But anyway, seeing fewer shows is not gonna ensure that more deserving people get to catch U2 live. It'll only put more tickets in the hands of profiteers!

nope. i'll go to as many shows as i wish. if it means somebody else is left out, then oh well. as others have said, if you want it bad enough, you can make it. if it's out of your price range, or if you're scared it'll be sold out, then just work a few extra hours at work or something to compensate the difference in the scalped price. i've seen them 30 times over the past pair of tours (mostly on vertigo) and have sometimes just given extra tickets away to people begging on the street for them. i'm a nice fellow from time to time.

Really? When tickets for the Omaha show went on sale they sold out before I could get any.

Well Omaha is in the middle of nowhere. :wink: U2 rarely tour in Nebraska, if my memory serves.

(I know, I have family there.)

Would you avoid going to multiple shows on a tour if it meant that someone who hadn't seen them on this tour could experience the magic of a U2 concert?

Also, do you think that going to multiple shows in real life actually prevents people who haven't seen a show from going?

No and no. The first time I saw U2, the first time I saw them GA, and the first time I saw them GA front row were all with other huge fans that have been to dozens of shows (previous tours). Several times I was at shows standing next to people that had never seen them before. We all had a fair shot.

I said this in the other thread but I will repeat it here. Vertigo was my first time seeing U2. I went to ten shows. Most of those shows involved me getting tickets for other people as well as myself, so that's a good number of tickets. Of those ten shows (and actually more because I was willing to trade), I only pulled ONE ticket I wanted off TicketBastard. Yes, I tried EVERY show, never pulled anything until the re-release of the Hawaii tickets, lol, talk about LAST chances. And yet, I still saw ten shows, pretty much got the tickets I wanted and had a fair shot of chances at the ellipse (my odds turned out a lot better than the supposed 1:8 lottery). I never held it against other people who had already seen U2 shows since 1981 and were getting tickets of TicketBastard every time. That's there right. There are plenty of ways to get tickets, even at face value or less.

Nope on both counts. I have no more of an advantage in getting tickets as someone who hasn't seem them yet. So if I end up getting tickets, I'm going!

Besides, why not just buy two tickets and invite someone who's never seen them to come along? :wink:

You really need to try harder next tour. Most shows had ticket drops after the initial sale, there was ETS, which although a bit more expensive than face was much less than what scalpers were charging, even some ticket brokers were selling tickets for not much over face value, right here on Interference there were threads for fans selling/trading extra tickets.

Omaha should not have been so difficult for you. I know quite a few people who got face value GA tickets for that show that didn't get them from Ticketmaster.

I didn't go to Omaha but decided about a week or two before SLC and Portland to go and was able to get a FV ticket for SLC and 2 FV GA for Portland from someone who decided not to go and offered me both, (I sold the 2nd for face to a guy outside the arena).

Where there's a will there's a way.

Back
Top Bottom