U2 @ Tibetan Freedom Concert (NY) '97

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I remember watching that and thinking how weird it was to see U2 play something like that only because I wasn't familiar with seeing them do those type of shows.

This is an excerpt from a recent Beastie Boys review:

"Ten years ago, when the Beastie Boys ruled the world, they let U2 appear on their Tibetan Freedom Concert album. It was poignant to hear U2 sound lost and confused, at their commercial and creative nadir, floundering through the vaguely anthemic "One." Poor old U2 had no clue how to connect with a Beastie-worshipping young mod world. But now, with U2 bigger than ever and vague anthems all the rage, the Beasties can be forgiven for sounding confused themselves, as they try to bring their Grand Royal chutzpah up to date. "

In a way it was kind of true.

u2 and the beasties have had a very interesting "coexistence" in an astonishingly identical time period- for all they have in common, they seem very distant from one another, or should that be: for all their differences, they somehow seem very similar (???) who knows. i like them both, but for me U2 have always had alot more importance and staying power.

dr. zooeuss said:
I never knew they played this festival, but surfing youtube recently, I've come across performances of Gone and Until TEOT World - pretty amazing glimpse at a less known, less documented timeframe for the band.

Pretty solid performances too; the music of the POPera without the glitz and glamor.

UTEOTW
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSfpfxMyNmw

GONE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CJ4rfM2OPY

In watching UTEOTW, it seems that Bono was looking out into the audience to figure out how he could connect and how much they were into it. Loved Edge's guitar in the beginning. Bono looking very good.

I really like the version of Gone and Please at this gig, Bono's voice is a little ragged and raw but it makes for a gutsy performance. This was right at the start of Popmart, so I don't think the boys were in the best frame of mind at the time, so its more of a surprise to me that they managed to pull something special off.

Re: Re: U2 @ Tibetan Freedom Concert (NY) '97

blm said:

In watching UTEOTW, it seems that Bono was looking out into the audience to figure out how he could connect and how much they were into it. Loved Edge's guitar in the beginning. Bono looking very good.

In the Mystereious ways clip, Bono is looking at the crowd, bending over like he's likely to jump off, but then you can hear him say, "Oh No, I'm not gonna do that again" and he's got that :cool: smile on his face :wink:

Back
Top Bottom