U2: The "tugging at the heart strings" era?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Zootlesque said:
Oh yeah.. also I'll never understand why LAPOE gets more appreciation in this forum than POE.

You know what confuses me? When people go "I like Bomb" but "ATYCLB doesn't do anything for me" or vice versa.

Similar themes in lyrics, somewhat similar sound...so why like one but not the other?

U2girl said:

You know what confuses me? When people go "I like Bomb" but "ATYCLB doesn't do anything for me" or vice versa.

Similar themes in lyrics, somewhat similar sound...so why like one but not the other?

The only real difference I can see between the two albums is there's a couple more rock songs on HTDAAB. Maybe that's why some like it better?

At first I thought I liked HTDAAB better because of that, but then after a couple of listens the whole initial "yay, U2 are rocking out again" reaction began to fade and those rock songs started to seem forced and contrived. Now I'm in the "don't care much for either album" camp.

Earnie Shavers said:
The music sounds like - and they sort of almost admit it - like they have a computer there and they are just cutting and pasting parts "Inspiring Edge Lift", "Big Bono Screaming Moment" "Passion!" "Hook 1" "Hook 2" "Hook 3" and there's someone standing over. "Okay, hit them with hook 1 & 2 quickly, then drop everything off to almost silence, then insert the Inspiring Edge Lift there, then bang with the Big Bono Screaming Moment. Done. Wait, what's missing? True, it takes to long to build from the opening to the first chorus. Just cut and paste the chorus in at the 3rd or 4th line. Research shows that 84% of people at our concerts just can't wait to sing a long with the big choruses anyway."

i do take your points, but this is the creative process.

it's much more about craft than anyone wants to believe, and the most creative people are the people who work the hardest. it really is 1% inspiration, 99% perspiration. it's kind of a myth that people, i dunno, smoke a big bag of grass and then a vision comes to them, or that when they play a guitar solo they're channeling the division of Berlin (or El Salvador). yes, those might serve as inspiration, but that's just the jumping off point.

a house must be built. and that takes skill, craft, and perspiration.

Bono's shades said:

The point I was trying to make is U2 didn't just start writing personal, heart-tugging songs during the current decade. They started doing it a long time ago.

As for another example, how about Drowning Man?

Again, I never said U2 just started to do it now. I said, that U2 are focusing their music in it now.

Bono's shades said:

The only real difference I can see between the two albums is there's a couple more rock songs on HTDAAB. Maybe that's why some like it better?

At first I thought I liked HTDAAB better because of that, but then after a couple of listens the whole initial "yay, U2 are rocking out again" reaction began to fade and those rock songs started to seem forced and contrived. Now I'm in the "don't care much for either album" camp.

ATYCLB approach is to melody and minimal sounds (despite having rock tunes). HTDAAB goes ahead with guitar-job and riffs. ATYCLB is 60% rock, HTDAAB is 85% rock. These are the differences.

I think ATYCLB was U2 doing pop music, and Bomb was the real back to basics/retro U2 album.

U2girl said:
I think ATYCLB was U2 doing pop music, and Bomb was the real back to basics/retro U2 album.

I think ATYCLB was U2 doing pop with a rock twist, and HTDAAB was U2 doing rock with a pop twist.

Anyway, I prefer ATYCLB. I wasn't sold on U2's so called "rock" off BOMB. The Edge can crank up his guitar all he wants, but in the end rock is about attitude, emotion, soul. None of the BOMB songs have this.

"In A Little While" is light years ahead of any Bomb track in terms of rock.

Irvine511 said:
it's kind of a myth that people, i dunno, smoke a big bag of grass and then a vision comes to them, or that when they play a guitar solo they're channeling the division of Berlin (or El Salvador).
you do understand you're making people cry here?

I agree though :D

I've read so much insane reasonings on this site why U2 doesn't make the music people want them to make anymore: wrong producer, wrong location, middle age complacency
mostly brought in a way as if they were sitting in the studio while the songs were being written and recorded (never mind that some people were 5 when U2 recorded The Unforgettable Fire)

pooh

Canadiens1160 said:
I think the best thing Edge could do right now is PRODUCE a U2 album. He's got a fantastic ear for arrangements and he's also been exploring other avenues like keyboards.

Edge + Eno to assist and guide him producing would make for an interesting album

:yes:

I reckon that would work, agree completey. :up:

Salome said:

I've read so much insane reasonings on this site why U2 doesn't make the music people want them to make anymore: wrong producer, wrong location, middle age complacency
mostly brought in a way as if they were sitting in the studio while the songs were being written and recorded (never mind that some people were 5 when U2 recorded The Unforgettable Fire)
pooh

I can't imagin what it must take after 30 years, to find a sound or lyric that everyone can relate to and also try to make it into a hit to validate the work you've devoted your life too.
I see U2 :scratch: each time it becomes necessary to make a decision. Much like the rest of us in our lives about other decisions. (it just doesn't take us 2 or 3 years)
Being in the same age range as U2 I can't help but think..
What does U2 do now that they have perfected U2?
Many of the groups mentioned in this thread are influenced by U2 and many U2 have been accused of sounding like.

After all these years, who wouldn't you sound like.
Maybe that's part of U2 message in WITS, give us a break. Look what came before.:heart:

and Zoo.. what you began with was spot on :up:

Last edited:
I think the fact that we are all here talking about them, past, present, future speaks volumes. Plain and simple, U2 will always be relevant even if they are pulling on our heart strings. They have demonstrated that rock music can change the world, and in order to do that they (ok, Bono) has to live in both places, and if some think the music is suffering then so be it. I think the line in WITS says it all, "I've got no shame". He is saying look at the progress we've made, look at what our love has done, yes we can be proud of it, and at the same time we don't have to prove anything to anybody. I'm not saying something new and totally mind blowing from them would be out of bounds, I just think they are in a different place now then the AB years. Like someone said before it's called growth. Time does that to all of us. I am excited to see what the future holds for U2 and for us!

Jeannieco said:
I think the fact that we are all here talking about them, past, present, future speaks volumes. Plain and simple, U2 will always be relevant even if they are pulling on our heart strings. They have demonstrated that rock music can change the world, and in order to do that they (ok, Bono) has to live in both places, and if some think the music is suffering then so be it. I think the line in WITS says it all, "I've got no shame". He is saying look at the progress we've made, look at what our love has done, yes we can be proud of it, and at the same time we don't have to prove anything to anybody. I'm not saying something new and totally mind blowing from them would be out of bounds, I just think they are in a different place now then the AB years. Like someone said before it's called growth. Time does that to all of us. I am excited to see what the future holds for U2 and for us!

All that is fine. But do you ever have anything negative to say about U2? :wink:

Zootlesque said:

All that is fine. But do you ever have anything negative to say about U2? :wink:

Ya, just not here! :) I just find it exhausting sometimes to disect every little thing about the Edge's riffs, or Bono's lyrics.
They give me so much, it's hard to tear them apart, but I do understand where all the comments are coming from, the good the bad and the ugly, even if I don't agree. I'm like that, very reasonable person. Does that piss you off?
:D :D :laugh: :lol:

Back
Top Bottom