U2: The infamous moments.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
sorry about this question...but can someone tell me about this bono spray painting a statue or something? thanks!

I wouldn't be surprised if Jick believed that Bono planned 9-11 so he could cash in on it by putting out ATYCLB. Jick becareful if your tinfoil hat is on too securely when your using the computer you might get a shock. :lmao:

The 'spray paint' incident occurred at the 'Save the Yuppie' concert; parts can be seen in R&H.

And frankly I think it should have been left there.

~~~~~~~~~~
Furthermore: Jick's allegations are ludicrous beyond comprehension and not worth my time.
Smoke some more crack there, troll-boy.

You're hopeless

jick said:

3. Bono linking up with Sarajevo in Zoo TV in a pathetic effort to amuse the audience

Amusing the audience was the furthest thing on U2's mind when they did the Sarajevo linkups. You don't show people telling horror stories of a ravaged country in hopes of amusing them.

I love your tone on all of these. Half of your list hardly qualifies as "infamous" moments in anyone's mind but your own.

EvolutionMonkey said:
I wouldn't be surprised if Jick believed that Bono planned 9-11 so he could cash in on it by putting out ATYCLB. Jick becareful if your tinfoil hat is on too securely when your using the computer you might get a shock. :lmao:

:laugh: that's what the Focusin does, man...

If Bono says F*** in all his public appereances and Adam was found with yerba buena I don't give a F*** about that :D

jick said:
U2 also cashed in nicely on the 9/11 tragedy.

In my opinion you should be banned just for saying that.

EvolutionMonkey said:
Something they'd probably like to forget - Vancouver Zoo tv Larry forgets to start the drums for Pride twice Bono gets pissed and chucks the mic at him.

Yeah, I heard about that. Can someone tell me more about that day and where I could find that version of Pride?

Last edited:
Salome said:
please refrain from name calling

thanks

yeah. my bad. apologies to the forum at large.*

"cashing in on 9-11"
can't decide whether to puke, or spit, or just point and laugh at the level of ignorance displayed with a comment like that.

I buried enough of my NYFD/PD/EMS brothers (and sister...) to appreciate everything Bono and U2 said and did after the towers fell.

Who did you lose, Jick? How many funerals did you attend? How did you get the stench out of your nose? How long did you wear a mourning band over your badge?

What's that? None?

*(albeit for calling a spade a spade, but it's still me taking that first step into the kiddie-sandbox and I should have refrained. my temper gets the better of me sometimes. sorry.)

wolfeden said:

"cashing in on 9-11"
can't decide whether to puke, or spit, or just point and laugh at the level of ignorance displayed with a comment like that.

I buried enough of my NYFD/PD/EMS brothers (and sister...) to appreciate everything Bono and U2 said and did after the towers fell.

Who did you lose, Jick? How many funerals did you attend? How did you get the stench out of your nose? How long did you wear a mourning band over your badge?

What's that? None?

*(albeit for calling a spade a spade, but it's still me taking that first step into the kiddie-sandbox and I should have refrained. my temper gets the better of me sometimes. sorry.)

Q to Wolfeden: What do you do sir?

wolfeden said:

"cashing in on 9-11"

What's that? None?

that's not temper... that's truth. some people just will never understand...

Oh common now noones put this :p

The whole MLK business during the Joshua Tree Tour

*and the whole business of the comments of U2 cashing in on Sept 11th all I can say is if Edge heard you say that hed stick his guitar where the sun dont shine!

The fact is throughout the years they've always taken a stance on world events I mean look back at the Denver 87 show where Bono addressed the bombing noone else ever did things like that well apart from Bruce maybe......

Before you go slagging the guys get your band history straight!They've done things throughout the years that ya might scratch your head and go huh? But whether it be political or a band movement in direction its always something that they do themselves.

Last edited:
when the power went out at the MTV awards when they were to perform elevation and accept a video vangard award. It could only happen to U2 that the power goes out and they had to cut to commercial and only BONO could have good humor about it. I could hear him sing "whooo hooo" clearly but no music. I guess we can all be comforted with the thought that unlike Britney, U2 were one of the few that night that didn't lip synch.

TheBrazilianFly said:

Q to Wolfeden: What do you do sir?

I'm an emergency medical technician.
Also a volunteer with the American Red Cross.
Off roster at the moment thanks to being injured in a car crash myself.

Eh, back to U2....

Less infamous in America perhaps but there were several instances of "U2 vs. the IRA" that have come up... from "They haven't contacted me and I hope they don't" in the 80s re: SBS, to a mention in a recent book that the B-man had a frightful drunken night where he thought IRA men were going to kidnap him or some such when all it was, was a case of mistaken hotel room...
Can anyone shed more light on this type of thing?

Last edited:
Yeah, well there are plenty of bands/artists that were accused of "cashing in" on the 9/11 tragedy.

But, days before 9/11, Bono organized and recorded that "what's going on" remake in order to shed light on Africa. Maybe some people would consider it "cashing in," had this occured after 9/11,; but it didn't.

Oh, and Bono was wearing that jacket with the American flag, BEFORE 9/11, don't believe me, watch the "Elevation" video, recorded long before 9/11. Look at his jacket, especially when all the wind is blowing, you can see part of the American flag print. Yeah, really cashing in, :rollseyes:

Bono and U2 say they are "fans" of America, and have been for years. Doesn't mean they can't say "hey, that's not right", and criticise certain things, but I think plenty of Americans criticise other countries as well.

U2 are one of the tamest rock bands ever, when it comes to the "sex, drugs and rock and roll".... "Behind the Music stuff,"which in the rock world, isn't the coolest thing to be, but they've certainly out lasted plenty of rock bands that started out when they did.

Last edited:
thrillme said:
U2 are one of the tamest rock bands ever, when it comes to the "sex, drugs and rock and roll".... "Behind the Music stuff,"which in the rock world, isn't the coolest thing to be, but they've certainly out lasted plenty of rock bands that started out when they did.

That's exactly the thing.... whatever skeletons might be lurking in their closets are well-hidden and tucked far enough back that they won't be seeing daylight anytime soon. Even "Lola" couldn't dig up much dirt besides "ooh, they drink a lot and get hangovers". for Pete's sake. :madspit:

They also don't have the financial stake a lot of bands who do submit to the Behind the Music treatment have... for instance, who the heck cared about Poison anymore, before BTM unearthed them to tell-all about their wild nights and slips of judgement? and now they're on a "comeback tour" and selling albums again thanks to the exposure.

U2 doesn't need the notoriety. While I'm certain there's a lot we don't know (and I for one, don't WANT to); they're men walking this earth same as the rest of us and prone to the same errors of judgement and hurting the people they love like anyone else... there's no money in creating 'scandal' for them. How many nights was Jim Morrisson tripping too hard to give a performance with the Doors? How about the Stones? When you compare these bands' tales to U2, the fact that *one concert ever* was disrupted by a band member's alcoholism (and still went on...) really doesn't add up to very much.

Makes me glad all we can find to talk about are musical flubs and graffiti... :D :D :D

Back
Top Bottom