U2 - The Best Band on the Planet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hawk269

Acrobat
Not to be all mushy, but I was just thinking about how lucky I am to be a fan of U2. How often do you find things that add so much to your life? For next to nothing, I get so much out of listening to and reading about this band. I even met my fiancee at Madison Square Garden on 10-24-01 (one of the loudest, most emotional U2 shows *ever*).

Now I find out that the emotions of those MSG shows were so powerful and moving that U2 themselves were affected enough to write a song on the new album about the NYC Elevation shows. The sight of 20,000 people screaming and crying in happiness to be alive at a U2 show is truly a beautiful and amazing thing. I am happy that the band understood how much it meant to New Yorkers for them to play there in October of 2001.

I once told someone that I would not give up listening to my U2 albums for a billion dollars, and I still believe it. I'm sure many fans on these boards feel the same way and that is what makes the U2 culture so different. I keep coming back for more because U2 is about spirituality, relevance, and intelligent communication - qualities that I rarely find in the rest of society.

Many cynics say music is just another form of entertainment and it's all done with profit in mind. I don't feel that way about this band, though. When you feel strongly that the essence of something is good and sincere and coming from the right place, all that negativity fades away. All that's left are four great souls changing the world, one song at a time.

AJ
:wink:

I am lucky to be a U2 fan but I can't say that their the best band in the world 'cause I listen to a lot of different types of music from punk/metal/rap/classical etc and it is hard to pin point 1 band as being the best when there are so many different musical genres. Howeever, I think U2 are above there than most bands.

Great post! I agree with and I also think that some U2-fans don't realizise how lucky they are!

Ps: Vertigo is fantastic!

"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." -- Aldous Huxley :heart:

U2 is so much more than a band... The impact they have had on me has been life changing in many ways. And I am so very very thankful.

:hug: Hawk :hug:

Last edited:
U2 is so much more than a band... The impact they have had on me has been life changing in many ways. And I am so very very thankful.

It may sound stupid, but as long as they're out there, loving us, even mountains are mole hills for me.

:yes:

I've been a fan for some time and over the last few years for me the music has become so much more that just a song...I discovered that there can be a healing power or a kind of comfort found from a song or music in general. To be able to create something that can do that for people or really move them in whatever way is an amazing thing to me and I think that puts them above the rest.

I totally agree. And dont apologize for being mushy. U2 makes me mushy all the time :heart:

vlasak said:

It may sound stupid, but as long as they're out there, loving us, even mountains are mole hills for me.
I agree 100%!! :heart::heart:U2:heart::heart:

Last edited:
solar said:

I agree 100%!! :heart::heart:U2:heart::heart:

How much would I have to paid to never listen to U2 again?

I couldn't be paid to do that, seriously.

They are priceless, or about 150 quid for all the albums!!

It's funny - I can just see the commercial now:

"CD Collection: 325 dollars. Travel expenses to & from concert city: 200 dollars. Ticket: 45 dollars"

(cue Streets, lights blast on)

"Rocking out to U2, with 20,000 friends...PRICELESS!"

AJ

Hawk269 said:
It's funny - I can just see the commercial now:

"CD Collection: 325 dollars. Travel expenses to & from concert city: 200 dollars. Ticket: 45 dollars"

(cue Streets, lights blast on)

"Rocking out to U2, with 20,000 friends...PRICELESS!"

AJ

:lmao:

hmmm...i'm betting tickets for this tour are gonna cost alot more than 45 bucks...good ones at least :eyebrow:

Great post! Sometimes I think it's kind of silly to love a rock band so much... I still can't quite figure out why their music have such a effect on me, it's just something else...

When people ask me why I have such strong feelings for U2, I often use this analogy:

Imagine you are walking into a museum, and there are all sorts of different paintings around. Some of them you like, some of them leave you indifferent. Then suddenly, you find yourself in front of this gigantic painting, it's literally taking up a whole wall, and it's like you been struck by lightning.

At first, you're not sure why so so emotionally taken by that painting. Then you realize that the colors are not regular colors. It's not blue, or green, or red, it's *new* colors, that you've never seen before. But somehow you know these colors, because they've always existed inside you, your eyes were always able to see them. How come you've never seen those colors anywhere before, you're not sure, but this painting is literally opening up a new way of seeing.

That's how I felt when I started to listen to U2, and I still feel that way. :heart:

Hawk269 said:
Not to be all mushy, but I was just thinking about how lucky I am to be a fan of U2. How often do you find things that add so much to your life? For next to nothing, I get so much out of listening to and reading about this band. I even met my fiancee at Madison Square Garden on 10-24-01 (one of the loudest, most emotional U2 shows *ever*).

Now I find out that the emotions of those MSG shows were so powerful and moving that U2 themselves were affected enough to write a song on the new album about the NYC Elevation shows. The sight of 20,000 people screaming and crying in happiness to be alive at a U2 show is truly a beautiful and amazing thing. I am happy that the band understood how much it meant to New Yorkers for them to play there in October of 2001.

I once told someone that I would not give up listening to my U2 albums for a billion dollars, and I still believe it. I'm sure many fans on these boards feel the same way and that is what makes the U2 culture so different. I keep coming back for more because U2 is about spirituality, relevance, and intelligent communication - qualities that I rarely find in the rest of society.

Many cynics say music is just another form of entertainment and it's all done with profit in mind. I don't feel that way about this band, though. When you feel strongly that the essence of something is good and sincere and coming from the right place, all that negativity fades away. All that's left are four great souls changing the world, one song at a time.

AJ
:wink:

AMEN!

i say amen to that too! thats a great way to put it. the second i heard them i was like what the heck is that? i was so young but they caught my ear enough that i stole all my dads u2 cds and listened to them intently on the bus to school every day.
it was like something just clicked, these guys have it!
if somebody said i will give you all the money you need for the rest of your life to ditch u2.....well, they would get the finger or blindsided when i sneak off to the concert with really expensive tickets!!! :D:D:D:D

oceane said:
Great post! Sometimes I think it's kind of silly to love a rock band so much... I still can't quite figure out why their music have such a effect on me, it's just something else...

When people ask me why I have such strong feelings for U2, I often use this analogy:

Imagine you are walking into a museum, and there are all sorts of different paintings around. Some of them you like, some of them leave you indifferent. Then suddenly, you find yourself in front of this gigantic painting, it's literally taking up a whole wall, and it's like you been struck by lightning.

At first, you're not sure why so so emotionally taken by that painting. Then you realize that the colors are not regular colors. It's not blue, or green, or red, it's *new* colors, that you've never seen before. But somehow you know these colors, because they've always existed inside you, your eyes were always able to see them. How come you've never seen those colors anywhere before, you're not sure, but this painting is literally opening up a new way of seeing.

That's how I felt when I started to listen to U2, and I still feel that way. :heart:
What a beautiful post! :heart: :hug:

oceane said:

Wow, that was an excellent analogy, oceane.

Hey all, I just joined and this is my first post. I feel so positively affected by their music. Just listening over and over again and picking up sounds I never noticed before is amazing. And how cerain songs can make me feel so much.
Lin

LemonLin said:
Hey all, I just joined and this is my first post. I feel so positively affected by their music. Just listening over and over again and picking up sounds I never noticed before is amazing. And how cerain songs can make me feel so much.
Lin

Welcome to the world of U2.

:heart: :heart: :heart:

oceane said:

Brilliant. That says it all. :up:

Back
Top Bottom