U2 that band with Bono???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pattip2000

New Yorker
I was talking to a lady at work yesterday about my trip to Hawaii. I told her the real reason I went was to go to a concert. Of course, she wanted to know who was worth flying to Hawaii to see. When I said U2 she drew a blank. I started naming songs she might know: Streets, One, WOWY, Pride, Vertigo, BD (she thought she MIGHT have heard BD). It was only when I made a comment to my coworker about Bono that she was like, “oh that’s the band with Bono!”. I would have never thought to describe U2 as the band with Bono. I would think you are more likely to know who U2 is than the names of the members. I guess Bonos face is all over the place these days so he is more recognizable, but still, its U2 people come on. I would have never thought of describing U2 as the band with Bono. What is wrong with people?

Well, Bono DID make Time's Person of the Year and stuff. He's become quite the public figure over the past 6 years. You gotta expect stuff like that rom now on.

I'd say most non u2 fans are more likely to have heard of Bono than of any particular u2 song... I mean if you're not a fan you wouldn't pay attention right? But Bono has become a lot more than just a part of "that u2 band". It does make sense that he would be more recognizable to the average person than their music.

I know lots of people that can't name the other members. It's not like the other 3 seem to want the fame like Bono does so nothing wrong with it.

My mom, who is getting on in years, only half-listens to the CDs I have on in the car. Once in a while she'll perk up when I'm playing U2. "That's Bono," she'll say. And when he was on with Brian Williams (aka the NBC Nightly News), she called to tell me to watch.

So among a certain generation, at least, it is "that band with Bono."

I don't even know all the names of the Guster lads. And I love them. So...I guess unless someone follows them very closely, then maybe it is easy to forget even some of the important details?

Besides, not too many people named Bono out there. :wink:

silvrlvr said:
My mom, who is getting on in years, only half-listens to the CDs I have on in the car. Once in a while she'll perk up when I'm playing U2. "That's Bono," she'll say. And when he was on with Brian Williams (aka the NBC Nightly News), she called to tell me to watch.

Ha, my mom is the same way. She doesn't really care much for U2's music, but she appreciates Bono's work. :lol: I think sometimes she forgets he is in a band.

I have a 50-something co-worker who didn't know who U2 were when I answered her question about what kind of music I like. I don't know if the light bulb would have gone on if I had mentioned Bono or not. I just tried to hide my shock and change the subject.

pattip2000 said:
I was talking to a lady at work yesterday about my trip to Hawaii. I told her the real reason I went was to go to a concert. Of course, she wanted to know who was worth flying to Hawaii to see. When I said U2 she drew a blank. I started naming songs she might know: Streets, One, WOWY, Pride, Vertigo, BD (she thought she MIGHT have heard BD). It was only when I made a comment to my coworker about Bono that she was like, “oh that’s the band with Bono!”. I would have never thought to describe U2 as the band with Bono. I would think you are more likely to know who U2 is than the names of the members. I guess Bonos face is all over the place these days so he is more recognizable, but still, its U2 people come on. I would have never thought of describing U2 as the band with Bono. What is wrong with people?

Well my four year old daughter knows U2 as Bono and his friends and there's zilcho wrong with that.

She recognises Bono instantly when he comes on television. "Look Dad, there's Bono." She kind of knows Edge a little bit too but Adam and Larry are definately gonna have to wait!!

Lancemc said:
Well, Bono DID make Time's Person of the Year and stuff. He's become quite the public figure over the past 6 years. You gotta expect stuff like that rom now on.

It's been more than the last 6 years...over most of the 20+ years I've been following U2, it has been "Bono...and those other guys, who are they?" or "that U2 guy" (there are other band members?:huh: )
:shrug:

Fortunately, the others don't seem to mind (and manage to take advantage of it as well). :)

If happen to mention U2, I get :rolleyes: I have no idea what you are talking about look from people.

If I mention just Bono, I get :yes: oh yeah Bono the singer, you know with Africa from other people.

Bono's shades said:
I have a 50-something co-worker who didn't know who U2 were when I answered her question about what kind of music I like. I don't know if the light bulb would have gone on if I had mentioned Bono or not. I just tried to hide my shock and change the subject.

It's odd because I get the same reaction from a lot of people. I mention U2 and they just look puzzled. But mention U2 to a U2 fan and you have a half-hour conversation. One time I was at an Economic Club of Chicago luncheon and spent the entire time talking with the man next to me about grammatical errors and mispronounced words in U2 songs (such as "an intellectual tortoise"). The rest of the table did not have a clue.

Some people just aren't into music. But still, after 25 years of being a band and being pretty successful, you would think one might have at least heard of the band. :shrug:

On another note, after Maddy met Bono a few months ago (see avatar pic), I showed the picture to my parents, but they had no clue who the guy was. I showed the picture to my mother-in-law and she said, is that Boner? :lol: At least she recognized the guy (she'd have no clue of his music/band).

redhotswami said:

Ha, my mom is the same way. She doesn't really care much for U2's music, but she appreciates Bono's work. :lol: I think sometimes she forgets he is in a band.

My mom is like that too... She likes Bono though she doesn't care much about the music. But in fact she doesn't care about music in general so :shrugs: Anyway she can recognize a U2 song by Bono's voice... That's because I like to listen to music a little too loud:wink:

At least his name gets pronounced correctly more often now...when I hear people call him "Bone-O" I want to scream.

^ yeah my gramps always calls him that

Like I said in another thread:

A while back when I tried talking to a friend of mine about U2 this is what he said and i quote:

…” Isn’t that the band with that skinny guy with huge glasses who does cocaine and all that charity work?"

It's pretty ridiculous but he said it...

well, it's pretty obvious... Bono's the frontman and the man "sells" himself better than the other three.
But probably the person u talked to lives on Mars..

If at least there was more repeats of things like this , then it wouldn't be so like this ......

PDVD_124.jpg

Back
Top Bottom