U2 Supporting Acts?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
well i forgot to pick up that concert book which tells of their history but i know that Rage against the Machine were once a support act to them

and the Lone Justice were a support act to them earlier on

interesting that Maria Mckee (Lone Justice's lead singer) has done a few songs with Bono, she has a wonderful voice, she should have been a much bigger star for her looks and talent

Oasis during Popmart in Oakland, They are still massive in the UK and rightly so.

PJ Harvey, No Doubt, and Garbage were all opening acts at one point in time or another in North America during the Elevation Tour. All of them are quite popular artists themselves.

the coors were an opening act during the north american elevation tour as well. i believe they played the first few shoes ans well as nelley furtado before pj harvey who was sick, got well and continued on.

Moby was supporting act during Elevation tour and also is popular

Stereophonics too

It can be quite frustrating in Europe..you see bands like the stereophonics, manic street preachers, velvet underground (!), The Pixies supporting everywhere else, but certainly when they get to the UK, we get Kelis and PJ Harvery (who is great - but did ZOOTV and Elevation and not as rockin' as the above). Mind you, Cast at Leeds Popmart were ace, and the Stereo MCs at Cardiff in 93 were a fantastic mid summer warm up. Maybe I just like the Manics and Sterophonics and the Velvets too much :) Oh and RHCP and Coldplay at Slane.....I'll stop now before I shoot myself in the foot...!

For the next tour I hope they do a summer outdoor tour and I think The Thrills would be great as support, and for a winter indoor tiny club tour - Mr Friday....(but then, who needs U2?).

I'd love to see The Feelers opening for U2 in Oceania ...

in Modena, Italy 1987 the support acts were:

The Pretenders (great live band)
Lone Justice (their first album is fantastic)
and Mick Jones'Big Audio Dynamite

plus Fine Young Cannibals in Turin 2001

and not to forget Velvet Underground in 1993 in Naples (and Rome?).

and weren't Tim Wheeler's Ash the support act in Slane mk II???

Jim said:
It can be quite frustrating in Europe..you see bands like the stereophonics, manic street preachers, velvet underground (!), The Pixies supporting everywhere else, but certainly when they get to the UK, we get Kelis .....

The same in Arnhem, Netherlands during the Elevation Tour: Kelis. Maybe it has something to do with the speed of selling shows out. They know for sure that a concert in Netherlands/UK are guaranteed sell outs, so why an expensive support act? You don't have to attract people with the support act. You saw the same with the Stones shows this year in Europe. In the Nethjerlands we got..uhm I don't even remember who we got, but in Germany (where tickets weren't selling that quick) they got AC/DC!!! and Cranberries...!

ideal for me...

open in the states in the spring with an arena tour with young bands trying to make a name for themselves as openers...
go over to europe and do a mixed arena & stadium tour with some big name euro acts opening...
come back to the states in the late summer for a stadium tour, using both football and baseball stadiums ala bruce springsteen on the rising tour, complete with the biggest names they can get to open for 'em

then come winter in the northern hemisphere, they can head down to south america, australia, africa, etc. to finish up

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom