U2 Sucks!!!!!!! According to This Guy.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
BonoVoxSupastar said:

Generalizations will kill a society.

And now the rhythm section is bad? It went from mediocre to bad? Your thought process is giving me a headache...

You went from talking about how anyone can play Edge's part in WTSHNN, not taking any consideration that not anyone could write it, to discrediting Adam for apparently not writing the bass line in LAPOE? Make up your mind.

I think intelligent people use generalizations. Blanket statements are a different story.

I didn't say anyone can play Edge's music, I'm saying a lot of people can. Go to Youtube and look at all the people playing Edge's music on their own. The difference, of course, is that he writes the music, which is why I think he's so awesome. He's definitely not a super duper skilled guitar player, though. I've never had a beef with the Edge. I think he's probably all around the most talented guy in the band.

And from what I read Adam didn't write the bass line in LAPOE. I think it was Lanoise, but I'm not sure. I read it in an article a long time ago.

shart1780 said:

I think intelligent people use generalizations.

Not truly intelligent people. Generalizations may be used tongue in cheek, but when it comes to truly intellectual conversation they have no use...

I disagree. We use generalizations every day. You do too, even if you don't realize it. IMO we learn to generalize through experience and observing how things function. It's how we learn to respond to things.

To say Mexican people like tacos is a true statement, generally speaking (kind of a silly example). Of course I wouldn't assume every Mexican person I meet likes them (blanket statement), but logic would tell me that they'd more likely like them than say, a Indian person. It's logical and it's how we learn. It's intelligence.

Why can't Indian people love tacos? I love tacos, and I'm not Indian.

shart1780 said:

To say Mexican people like tacos is a true statement, generally speaking (kind of a silly example). Of course I wouldn't assume every Mexican person I meet likes them (blanket statement), but logic would tell me that they'd more likely like them than say, a Indian person. It's logical and it's how we learn. It's intelligence.

No, it's not intelligence, it's the opposite of...

Mexican people eat tacos because it's the indigenous food of their country(which actually isn't that true, but for arguments sake). If you place someone born in Mexico in England before being exposed to Mexican culture, nothing would automatically draw them to tacos... That's absurd, but nice try.:|

BonoVoxSupastar said:

No, it's not intelligence, it's the opposite of...

Mexican people eat tacos because it's the indigenous food of their country(which actually isn't that true, but for arguments sake). If you place someone born in Mexico in England before being exposed to Mexican culture, nothing would automatically draw them to tacos... That's absurd, but nice try.:|

I never said that something in their genetic makeup makes them hungry for tacos. We're dealing what's true, not what things would be like like IF a bunch of Mexicans lived in England.

Most Mexican people do live in Mexico, and most Mexicans eat tacos. It's a fact. If most Mexicans lived in England you'd be right, but they live in Mexico... and they eat tacos. Therefore Mexicans generally like tacos. I have a ton of Mexican friends and they eat tacos and nachos and burritos and beans all the time. IF their culture was different, then different generalizations could be made... but it's not so it doesn't matter.

I feel like I'm repeating myself, but I don't know how to make it any more simple.

Last edited:
shart1780 said:

I never said that something in their genetic makeup makes them hungry for tacos. We're dealing what's true, not what things would be like like IF a bunch of Mexicans lived in England.

Most Mexican people do live in Mexico, and most Mexicans eat tacos. It's a fact. If most Mexicans lived in England you'd be right, but they live in Mexico... and they eat tacos. Therefore Mexicans generally like tacos. I have a ton of Mexican friends and they eat tacos and nachos and burritos and beans all the time. IF their culture was different, then different generalizations could be made... but it's not so it doesn't matter.

I feel like I'm repeating myself, but I don't know how to make it any more simple.

:banghead: I forget I'm talking to a 4 year old...

"The bass in this song is scary. It's name is Brian." Adam, on LAPOE

I've seen all U2 members slagged off as untalented pretentious hacks on the net before. :shrug:

Some people would say that the people that make it a long way in American Idol have talent....it really depends what your classification of talent comes down to, in the end it really doesnt matter what anybody but yourself thinks about an artistic expression but yourself. This is not math or science this is music there is a big difference between right and wrong because their is really no arguement for right and wrong in music. That is all dependent on listener perception about where the talent is.

When you talk about technical skill it's completely objective. If you're talking about how "good" a musician in most other areas it's subjective.

I don't really see how anyone could say Adam and Larry are great objectively or subjectively though.

I can agree with you there. The sum is definitely greater than the parts. I just think it's because of the amazing Edge and Bono. I do however think the band would be much better if they have a talented rhythm section from the beginning.

I don't they would be U2 with a different rhythm section, so they made the right choice.

phillyfan26 said:
I don't they would be U2 with a different rhythm section, so they made the right choice.

exactly

and I really think it's only been in the 00's that Larry has been lacking. His work on Pop was some of his best imo ... yeah his drums are often repetitive without a lot of fills, but it works for U2. He can come up with a catchy beat, which is almost sort of a hip-hop thing, y'know? It's not often you get solely the drums to a rock song stuck in your head, but that happens to me with U2.

Adam I've never had a problem with. His style is simple but it helped define U2. Don't really give a shit how technically talented he is (though I'm sure he is very talented. he's had professional instruction and all)

on behalf of all mexicans we do love our tacos, burritos, nachos and beans, we eat them every single day.....back to the subject

Adam and Larry are one of the strongest backing bands, Larry is a freaking metronome!! they usually keep things simple but that doesn't make it a bad thing

I dunno Adam and Larry proved that they could make a track sound great when they recorded Mission Impossible that still sounds great to this day. That may not be too complicated a track to play but thats fine. The thing about the early U2 recordings is that the backing bass and drums were mixed poorly somewhat probably do to technology. Adam and Larry have proven what they can do on albums like POP and I would like to see them given a bigger role on the next album.

... or maybe he just didn't like U2, and bitter had nothing to do with it.

I don't like Pink Floyd all that much, does that make me bitter?

corianderstem said:
... or maybe he just didn't like U2, and bitter had nothing to do with it.

I don't like Pink Floyd all that much, does that make me bitter?

I realize that. He criticized U2, but also many other bands/artists. The majority of them were recent acts that weren't exactly competing with The Beatles, yet he constantly compared them to The Beatles. Obviously he didn't have to like U2 or any other artist/band he criticized, but he didn't have to act like The Beatles were God's greatest gift to music like he seemed to do a lot. It just made him look bitter and washed up. We all use or have used the past to criticize the present, but it really does make us look pathetic.

Ah, thanks for the clarification.

I still don't know that I'd call him bitter, but that's neither here nor there. :wink:

corianderstem said:
Ah, thanks for the clarification.

I still don't know that I'd call him bitter, but that's neither here nor there. :wink:

No problem! I probably shouldn't have called him bitter either; that's just the way he usually came across in later interviews I read with him when he spoke of other artists. I'd also read he was very bitter (more towards his fellow bandmates) in Beatles' biographies. I guess no one really knew that for sure but Harrison himself though.

I'm sure getting stabbed by a crazy guy and then getting cancer would make me a little bitter, too.

Poor George. :(

corianderstem said:
I'm sure getting stabbed by a crazy guy and then getting cancer would make me a little bitter, too.

Poor George. :(

'Tis true. I don't recall when the stabbing happened, but I don't think the cancer was until much later. I don't remember hearing anything from him at all after the diagnosis, unless I missed it. I do feel bad for him though. To me, he was very underrated as a Beatle.

Yeah, I like George's music. It's too bad he felt that way about U2. Obviously they didn't take it personally because they still hold him in high regard.

I still have the picture someplace of Bono giving George Harrison the middle finger for that comment....of which he totally deserved it.

The most assenine comment was that he said people wouldnt be listening to U2 in 20 years....give me a break.

Back
Top Bottom