U2 Sucks!!!!!!! According to This Guy.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
BonoVoxSupastar said:

Adam may not be Flea, but he's actually a pretty knowledgable musician these days. He's been known to play "off" the rhythm of the song, or even play in a separate key, which is something a "mediocre" musician wouldn't ever do. And Larry, well Larry was actually a pretty interesting drummer up until 2000, he's had a few moments since then, but...

But my point is that music isn't about the technical prowess, it's often about the "magic" that can be created. You may be able to solo up and down the neck for 24 hours a day, but if you can't connect to the human spirit you're worthless.

I agree that you don't have to be technically great to create some great music. But I never really found Adam's or Larry's playing interesting either. I didn't used to care very much because I only cared about the obvious guitar and voice stuff when I was younger.

When I started listening to other bands and musicians (such as Flea, who is amazing) I realized that a great drummer and bassist can add a heck of a lot to the music. I'm not talking about long drawn out solos or fancy playing. I'm talking about interesting playing. When I listen to most U2 songs I don't feel like Adam or Larry are adding much to the music at all. It sounds like they're playing the exact same notes over and over and over and over again. They never improvise or add any little interesting flourishes or anything. It seems like they're satisfied playing the bare minimum. That's my problem with them. There's nothing like U2, I'll admit that any day, but sometimes I think the band could be twice as amazing if Adam and Larry would just try a little bit. Sometimes I feel like only half the band actually cares about the music.

Last edited:
BonoVoxSupastar said:

But I like him. :| He can speak a 1000 words just by sitting there...

:| and :wink: are good friends.

It ain't easy being green, I guess.

shart1780 said:
If zero variety is subtlety than Adam and Larry are masters of subtlety.

I Threw a Brick Through a Window
Sunday Bloody Sunday
A Sort of Homecoming
Bad
With or Without You
God Part II
Desire
The Fly
Ultraviolet
Mofo
Please

Yeah ... no variety there. :rolleyes:

But can Adam or Larry eat a fucking planet? No, they can't. Want to know who can?

image29.jpg

I own every U2 album.

And I don't really see how Adam and Larry's own style of playing became any more interesting as they experimented with new styles. Each specific song's playing isn't anything to rave about.

shart1780 said:
I own every U2 album.

And I don't really see how Adam and Larry's own style of playing became any more interesting as they experimented with new styles. Each specific song's playing isn't anything to rave about.

So now it's not variety, anymore?

If it still is, did you read my post?

My point is that the drumming in Rattle And Hum isn't much different than the drumming in Atomic Bomb, except that it's a little louder. Thei style of playing didn't change much as time went on, except it got even less interesting.

shart1780 said:
My point is that the drumming in Rattle And Hum isn't much different than the drumming in Atomic Bomb, except that it's a little louder. Thei style of playing didn't change much as time went on, except it got even less interesting.

Desire
God Part II
Hawkmoon 269

You hear those on HTDAAB? I've not in a number of listens.

Ok, in all fairness you got me there. Probably some of the band's best bass and drum lines. I'm speaking in generalities when I say the band's rhythm section is bad of course, so there will be exceptions. I think Desire and Hawkmoon probably have some of the best drumming of all U2 songs. LAPOE has a great bass line too (although Adam didn't write it). Ultraviolt also has awesome bass.

Still, I stand by my opinion.

We really need to verbify? verbalize? everyone's username whenever they insult someone. It'll be the new Interference tradition.

shart1780 said:
Ok, in all fairness you got me there. Probably some of the band's best bass and drum lines. I'm speaking in generalities when I say the band's rhythm section is bad of course, so there will be exceptions. I think Desire and Hawkmoon probably have some of the best drumming of all U2 songs. LAPOE has a great bass line too (although Adam didn't write it). Ultraviolt also has awesome bass.

Still, I stand by my opinion.

Generalizations will kill a society.

And now the rhythm section is bad? It went from mediocre to bad? Your thought process is giving me a headache...

You went from talking about how anyone can play Edge's part in WTSHNN, not taking any consideration that not anyone could write it, to discrediting Adam for apparently not writing the bass line in LAPOE? Make up your mind.

No spoken words said:

Agreed. But, don't forget that Shit/Fart totally got BVS'd.

True, true...

I'd like to think gman was close to getting Lemon'd, but it didn't sink in through the thickskull too well.

BVS swooped in for the kill after you softened him up.

I don't even know how to make the trademark thingee, such are my internets skillz, or lack thereof, limited.

Back
Top Bottom