U2 Storytellers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Do Miss America

War Child
If U2 were to do a Vh1 Storytellers, an intimate set where they played the songs and told the stories of how the songs came about, what songs would you like to see them do? Let's say 10 songs.

Here's my list:

Tomorrow(I'd love to hear the story of his mother)
Sunday Bloody Sunday(hear how they brought politics into their music)
Bad(to hear how the heroin epidemic effected the band personally)
Streets(to get the actually story, was it Africa or not, etc)
All I Want is You(why Bono decided it was time to write a straight forward love song)
Until the End of the World(how the sound came about and how Bono was inspired to write about Judas)
Stay(how the movie inspired the song)
Gone(just great subject matter)
Kite(the original story and how it morphed into something about his dad)
Sometimes(started with his mom, end with his dad)

I was thinking about this when I saw Bruce Springsteen's Storytellers on VH1 tonight.

I love your list of songs, Do Miss America. The only addition I would suggest is One and all its multiple meanings.

Bono's shades said:
I was thinking about this when I saw Bruce Springsteen's Storytellers on VH1 tonight.

I love your list of songs, Do Miss America. The only addition I would suggest is One and all its multiple meanings.

Yeah that's a good one, I had originally thought of that one but then thought us U2 fans had heard the origins and how it actually saved AB and so forth so many times, but to non fanatics that one would be perfect. In fact if they actually did a storytellers that one would definately make it.

Another one I thought of would be Pride, it would be cool to hear Bono talk about how originally he wrote a song about Reagan but decided it didn't fit on the album.

Do Miss America said:
Another one I thought of would be Pride, it would be cool to hear Bono talk about how originally he wrote a song about Reagan but decided it didn't fit on the album.

Wow, I've never heard that story before!

In no particular order (except One Tree Hill, which is absolutely #1 for me):

1. One Tree Hill - Greg Carroll.
2. The Unforgettable Fire - How the art inspired the title and influenced the lyrics.
3. The Electric Co. - I understand this was written about some horrific form of shock therapy given to the mentally disabled. I'd like to hear how it personally angered the band and prompted the song.
4. Love Is Blindness - Is it really about terrorism? We could finally get a definitive answer.
5. Exit - A religious man who became a very dangerous man ... and did what?
6. Heartland - The experiences that inspired the lyrics.
7. Lemon - What initially inspired the song, what it became, how it developed.
8. City Of Blinding Lights - Let's hear Bono flesh out the story and its references to multiple events.
9. New Year's Day - Polish solidarity movement? Love during wartime? What theories are right?
10. 40 - What went on in the studio and why they chose a psalm, and what it has come to mean as the ultimate closer.

Axver said:
In no particular order (except One Tree Hill, which is absolutely #1 for me):

1. One Tree Hill - Greg Carroll.
2. The Unforgettable Fire - How the art inspired the title and influenced the lyrics.

5. Exit - A religious man who became a very dangerous man ... and did what?

10. 40 - What went on in the studio and why they chose a psalm, and what it has come to mean as the ultimate closer.

Great ideas. One Tree Hill would be great. It would be cool to hear the story of Exit and how tragically someone used it as an excuse as to why they killed an actress. I would love to hear the story of 40 and how it was so last minute.

Great ideas, let's hear some more.

1. Treasure (Whatever Happened To Pete The Chop) - How it was destined to be a hit single until the need for one didn't come.
2. Touch - What is meant by the twenty-second floor.
3. A Celebration - What's he celebrating? How is all the things in the song connected?
4. Like A Song - Is it really a pro-IRA song?
5. Dancing Barefoot - Why use this Patti Smith song as a cover?
6. Walk To The Water - How'd the song come about? Who's the girl with the bracelet?
7. Promenade - Who's the song referring to?
8. Miami - Why create such a shit song?
9. Scarlet - Why did you guys slack off in the studio that day? [sarcasm] (Lazy beggars.) [/sarcasm]
10. Carry Me Home - (Well, if Bono can remember it.)

Back
Top Bottom