U2 - still relevant

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
U2Kitten said:

But I don't know how, being a fan of both bands, you don't see the similarities of the two songs. The piano stuff alone does it for me, along with the rises and falls of the song. It reeks of UF.

I really dont get this comparison at all. Sure, there is piano, drums, and a guy singing in both songs. Other than that, nothing alike. UF doesnt even have very much piano in it, it's primarily synth driven.

By that same criteria we could say that U2 sounds 100% just like every single rock band that came before them because all of their songs had guitars, drums, bass, and singing in them. Honesly, I really dont get this comparison. I think some people in these boards would like to give U2 credit for coming up with music in general.

u2popmofo said:
By that same criteria we could say that U2 sounds 100% just like every single rock band that came before them because all of their songs had guitars, drums, bass, and singing in them. Honesly, I really dont get this comparison. I think some people in these boards would like to give U2 credit for coming up with music in general.

It's scary... I said something incredibly similar in the ATYCLB thread. I agree mofo.

:up:

ATCYLB is what they've been striving for; a true culmination of everything they've done. If you put all of their albums together in a blender you'd end up with ATCYLB. What an amazing piece of work this record is. Nobody can touch these guys right now. They are so far ahead of everyone else it's not even funny. Well, I guess it kinda is. Anyway, I can't wait to hear what they'll do next.

(I stole this from somewhere and changed some words...)

Okay, I want all the stupid fucks in this thread and on this forum to stop being what they are. ATYCLB doesn't suck....ATYCLB isn't the best album ever made. It's whatever you want it to be for yourself. If you just wanna hate it, then have at it. Nobody gives a fuck. I don't mean to sound mean, but I get sick of these threads. Someone always hates Pop or ATYCLB. I don't care if you do hate it.....just don't argue with me for liking it. I'm sure that you'll hate the new album when it comes out and bitch about it nonstop....but still buy it the day of release, go to the concert, and listen to the album in detail enough so you can find enough things to bitch about. But they still get your money either way.

I know U2 still influence bands. They influence my band. That's one band. I'm sure there are others. So that makes them still relevant. There isn't a line that people cross when you suddenly say "You aren't relevant anymore". Bashing ATYCLB doesn't do you any good, or anybody else. Just listen to the Joshua Tree again, if that's your orgasm.

The_acrobat said:
Okay, I want all the stupid fucks in this thread and on this forum to stop being what they are.

You had me at hello.

Maybe to cheer you up: if there is so much interest as to whether U2 is still relevant, on this forum especially, and so many passionate and vehement arguments ensue... doesn't that pretty much answer the question?

:sexywink:

right now i dont give a shit what the new album will sound like because its their live shows that realy rock. cant wait for u24000tour. man i cant wait wooooooooooooooo.
ill go to every show in la wooooooooooooo.

i only like 4 or 5 songs off atyclb and they are not in my top 10 or 15 but still i was in line for ga(paid like 300 for a ticket), wooooooooo.

The_acrobat said:
Okay, I want all the stupid fucks in this thread and on this forum to stop being what they are. ATYCLB doesn't suck....ATYCLB isn't the best album ever made. It's whatever you want it to be for yourself. If you just wanna hate it, then have at it. Nobody gives a fuck. I don't mean to sound mean, but I get sick of these threads.
Bashing ATYCLB doesn't do you any good, or anybody else

Hey hold on, I'm not a stupid fuck, I'm sick of this too! :wave:

I still can't understand how some of you can't see the similarities in Clocks and UF. Have you ever really listened to UF? Listen to them one after another, and don't be in denial because you want to believe Coldplay is original and innovative. That sound, that type of song, was around in 1984. But it was done by a much more talented band with better songwriting skills and a singer with a MUCH better voice. UF is a lot better song.

But what's wrong with sounding like U2? It can only mean they influenced someone, which means they are, :shifty: relevant!!

Last edited:
I'm a stupid fuck

weee hooo

I really enjoyed the live show though! elevation and all.
even though it is the worst song u2 has ever made

close

/stupid fuck statements

Wow.

Man, these threads get big fast.

Anywho, I agree with patrickU217 and Strato Edge-especially the last line in Strato's post.

And I'm also with U2Kitten on a lot of what she's saying. I personally don't mind Coldplay or Radiohead-but U2Kitten did make an interesting point-those of you bashing ATYCLB because it's slower and all that have no problem listening to Coldplay, whose music, overall, is also the same way.

And now that you mention it, U2Kitten...I'm kinda seeing the UF resemblance in "Clocks". I'd never really paid attention before, but now that you mention it, and now that I'm playing the song back in my head...yeah, I'm kinda starting to see it.

Angela

I only see the resemblence b/t Clocks and UF with the guitar sounds and "chime" type noises. I hope this doesn't make me stupid fuck! lol. :shifty:

yertle-the-turtle said:
only bear picked up my witty analogy? :(

:sexywink:

no of course not. but since deathy already replied it seemed a bit over the top to point out to you again that it is indeed blasphemy what you just analogized. analogize this:madspit:

Ok, I'll tell you what I'm sick of! People getting a stick up their ass and screaming and crying about how SO many people and supposed fans HATE ATYCLB. How there should be no discussion on it because people like what they like and ATYCLB is awesome.

What is really being said? I have heard 1, maybe 2 people say that ATYCLB is one of their least favorite U2 albums. A couple others say that it's not their favorite, they think there are some great songs and some weak songs. And a bunch that have said it's one of their favorites almost all fantastic songs, and a couple that say it 's their very favorite, no bad songs in the bunch.

Get over it! ATYCLB is loved here. If not completely loved, than appreciated and put somewhere in the middle range of U2 albums for most people.

Are U2 still relevant? With the sales of their last album and tour, very much so. Do they need to push a little bit more on this next album to stay relevant? Yes they do. Their hitting mid-40's, have been around for almost 25 years. Pop/rock/modern rock music radio doesn't give them the freedom and chances they used to. The public doesn't either. They do need to prove themselves every time, with every new album. I think they can do it.

womanfish said:
Get over it! ATYCLB is loved here.
ATYCLB is loved by the general music fan
at Interference though (narrowing it down to the people who actually post in threads like these) once you say you love the album you are made out to be someone who doesn't like experiments in music and someone who probably only likes commercial chart pulp
and I read a lot of posts at this place
more than a lot

now I'm off to find that quote about Stuck in a Moment from that radiohead dude so that I can post it in 150 different threads

[sarcasm]One day, I was listening to the radio and I heard a song (insert first U2 song you ever heard). I thought to myself "hey, this is really INFLUENTIAL and RELEVANT - I should go and buy it", and thus began a long and enjoyable journey with U2. But don't be confused - I don't listen to their music much, or even like it a whole lot - I'm only interested in what OTHER bands are being influenced by U2. It's better that way - plus you don't have to get emotionally involved - you can just over analyze everything they do and be critical of marketing and money and shit like that.
[/sarcasm]

or

"from the moment I first heard (insert the first U2 song you heard) Gloria, I fell in love with the music, and still love them just as much today and don't care if 1 or 1 million people love them - I'll always have the music."

fuck yeah.

Salome said:
ATYCLB is loved by the general music fan
at Interference though (narrowing it down to the people who actually post in threads like these) once you say you love the album you are made out to be someone who doesn't like experiments in music and someone who probably only likes commercial chart pulp
and I read a lot of posts at this place
more than a lot

now I'm off to find that quote about Stuck in a Moment from that radiohead dude so that I can post it in 150 different threads

It's in the news section, it's quoted from the Radiohead article in the latest issue of Spin.

salome...you are making me sad

I did not intend this to be a pretentious thread

I dislike ATYCLB....doesn't mean I assume all people who do like it to be radio hugging fools.
I like Kite and In a Little While.

but not really much else.
nothing is horrible...it's just not typical U2 goodness

I liked the part where you say it is liked by the "general" music fan.

at any rate...people...this thread sucks

Im sorry for starting its sorry ass

and I agree...salome...U2 are still relevant to pop culture. They are more popular than they've ever been.

and I say good for them.

good bye, folks

you spineless fool! they may still be obviously relative but judging my the ammount of replies this thread generated, it was not a stupid idea to post it!

never back down like that again.

Basstrap said:
salome...you are making me sad

I did not intend this to be a pretentious thread
I don't doubt you weren't

it's making me sad that for every positive post re ATYCLB over here I can show you 2 negative posts where people present their opinions as facts

I don't mind people not liking everything U2 has produced
I (considering the rest of their catalogue) don't like POP
I think I've posted that at least 2 dozen times
but I don't think I've ever presented my opinion on that album as a fact (not saying that you do so, but that this often seems to happen here)

Basstrap said:
I liked the part where you say it is liked by the "general" music fan.
to me the general music fan is anyone who likes music but doesn't call him/herself a U2 fan

the latest album I bought was the collection "a cellarfull of motown"
that album is filled with great tracks that even a non motown connaisseur as myself loves a lot

yertle-the-turtle said:
ATCYLB is what they've been striving for; a true culmination of everything they've done. If you put all of their albums together in a blender you'd end up with ATCYLB. What an amazing piece of work this record is. Nobody can touch these guys right now. They are so far ahead of everyone else it's not even funny. Well, I guess it kinda is. Anyway, I can't wait to hear what they'll do next.

(I stole this from somewhere and changed some words...)

Yertle, I've actually made that analogy with the album this comment was originally made to talk about. People dont seem to like that analogy. I think it fits perfectly though.

Go figure.

This thread makes me want to go listen to ATYCLB.

Salome said:
I don't doubt you weren't

it's making me sad that for every positive post re ATYCLB over here I can show you 2 negative posts where people present their opinions as facts

How about we have a "Bag Every Other U2 Album Except ATYCLB" week? :mac:

Seriously though, I think it's pretty inevitable that a big chunk of discussion would centre around the latest album, especially when it's such a drastic departure from the previous one and a ground for speculation about what the next album will be like compared to it. I'm sure that every U2 album has got its detractors, but it's harder to rant about the older works because at this point now they and whatever consequences they caused are largely, well, "history".

Last edited:
Arg, these threads are so much alike they're starting to run together! :banghead: What was said in which one? Or does it matter? Maybe they should be joined:drunk:

I agree with Tip Top Prince and Salome. And, thanks Angela! :) I'm still waiting for the answer from Coldplay lovers who bash ATYCLB as to why it is slow and Coldplay is not?!:crazy: :huh: Why do you condemn it for not rocking hard enough and then hold Coldplay up as an example even though they're slow too? And, if it's slow and you like it why not ATYCLB? :scratch:

:heart: ATYCLB :heart:

Back
Top Bottom