U2 still needs to...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Form their own record company & put quality bands out there

Yahweh said:
If people here are thinking Pearl Jam are making great music right now they must be expecting U2 to lower their standards, and I hope that never happens.

Please! Pearl Jam's new one is much more daring and fitting for the crazy times we live in than the safe, barely political, greatest hits cd that U2 put out!

The top 10 list U2 must do before quit :heart:

1- Release their Remastered Catalog including Bonus DVD each album with promo clips, live footage, outtakes, etc. Something like Born To Run :drool:

2- Release Red Rocks 1983 complete on DVD

3- Release a Lovetown DVD as New Year's Concert 1989

4- Release a Video Anthology including for the very first time ALL their promo videos from 1980 - 2005, on 2 DVD.

5- Play a very last concert plenty of unheared live numbers as Acrobat, Lady With Spinning Head, Everlasting Love, Dancing Barefoot, The Tree Sunrises, Night And Day, It's Christmas (baby please come home), Somedays Are Better Than Others, Your Blue Room, Mercy, etc

6- Release an Unforgettable Fire Tour DVD

7- Release a complete Joshua Tree concert DVD (Maybe Tempe, December 1987 would be the holy grail)

8- Release a Pop Mart DVD other than Mexico City (Rotterdam 1997 or Santiago 1998 would be live killers instead)

9- Release the Bootleg Series collection. The 10 most remembered and memorable concerts ever other than the ones available on DVD. Rock's Hottest Ticket Chicago 1987, Dancing Zoo TV Stockholm 1992, Zoo Europa Dublin 1993, St Patrick's Day 1982, Dublin 26-12-1989 (considering New Year's Concert on DVD :wink: ), Nantes 1984, Santiago 2006 etc, should be there

10- Release a "Punk Rock from Venus" album :lol: ...
now being serious, the release of The Singles And Promos Anthology on 3 or 4 Disc box with a Book, focusing mainly in tracks and studio, single and live versions not appeared on Best of 1980-1990 and 1990-2000 could be heaven

:wave:

Zootlesque said:

Please! Pearl Jam's new one is much more daring and fitting for the crazy times we live in than the safe, barely political, greatest hits cd that U2 put out!

Yeah, guys. U2 need to be like Pearl Jam.

Or better yet, GREEN DAY. :ohmy:

U2 need to make a REAL political album, like AMERICAN IDIOT. It's a CONCEPT ALBUM too, so they can take care of TWO BIRDS with ONE STONE, GUYS. TWO BIRDS.

And they can call it IRISH IDIOT. And BONO can be on the cover.

Then we can FINALLY get our REAL ROCK ALBUM. :rockon:

Last edited:
Greenlight said:
Play at Glastonbury

:drool:

It would be so amazing if they finally did Glasto. Apparently Michael Eavis has been trying to get them to do it for a while now but they always refuse.

fuck Kylie Minogue, get U2 onstage for that sunday night!

XHendrix24 said:
And they can call it IRISH IDIOT. And BONO can be on the cover.

Then we can FINALLY get our REAL ROCK ALBUM. :rockon:

Don't be silly! :wink: The Bomb may be a good collection of songs but it's not the least bit ballsy. That's the point I'm trying to make. There's so much to write about in this fucked up world right now and Bono goes and hides in his safe, tried and tested cocoon!

I'm still waiting for U2 to make an album that's a hybrid of drone doom and Mongolian folk.

Play Spanish Eyes and Electrical Storm in the same concert

:drool:

...write some pop songs for a change. Enough of this heavy shit. And give Larry some input. And tell Adam to stop showing off. And tell Edge to turn it down. And please please please tell Bono to put on some shades and write simple lyrics.

Zootlesque said:

Don't be silly! :wink: The Bomb may be a good collection of songs but it's not the least bit ballsy. That's the point I'm trying to make. There's so much to write about in this fucked up world right now and Bono goes and hides in his safe, tried and tested cocoon!

Yeah, I'm sure it was a piece of cake writing and making a record dealing with his father's death.

really get rid of half their fanbase

and not the half that became a fan since All that you can't ....

dream it all up indeed

Salome said:
really get rid of half their fanbase

and not the half that became a fan since All that you can't ....

dream it all up indeed

That's not exactly "dream it all up again" :eyebrow:

U2 made ATYCLB trying to copy Joshua Tree. Is that "Dream it all up again"? :down:

They were completely out of ideas, and then invented the excuse "Back To Our Roots", "Punk Rock album", etc, etc when they just copied themselves, and then they did it again with HTDAAB and they will do again with the "new" album. The formula is pretty simple, predictable, tired and unexciting:

Making a 11 songs record (not an ALBUM, just 11 song put togheter), with the rotten trademark "classic" U2 sound and using the same dated producers again and again. First song must be a rocker and the first single. On The A side you find more rockers, but the majority of the album is filled with mid tempo cliches and ballads. The B side must be slower and with several fillers. The last song of the album must be a slow one.

Nothing but kinda-by act, showing pass their prime a long time ago and getting old and fat :scream:

Dream it all up again? ... far from being true

U2girl said:
Yeah, I'm sure it was a piece of cake writing and making a record dealing with his father's death.

Please. The whole record is not about his father's death! Only, what... Sometimes & OSC? And when did I say it is easy to deal with a loved one's death? :eyebrow:

My original comment was referring to songs like Miracle Drug, COBL, Crumbs, Yahweh etc. that have the typical U2 chimey guitar... not saying I don't enjoy them. I still listen to them quite a bit but they're no way daring, musically or lyrically... something U2 was well known and well respected for until Pop!

I'm not bashing the album. I'm pin pointing the faults... because I care so much about them. :wink:

Zootlesque said:

Please. The whole record is not about his father's death! Only, what... Sometimes & OSC? And when did I say it is easy to deal with a loved one's death? :eyebrow:

My original comment was referring to songs like Miracle Drug, COBL, Crumbs, Yahweh etc. that have the typical U2 chimey guitar... not saying I don't enjoy them. I still listen to them quite a bit but they're no way daring, musically or lyrically... something U2 was well known and well respected for until Pop!

I'm not bashing the album. I'm pin pointing the faults... because I care so much about them. :wink:

No, despite the official story on MD that song could easily be interpreted as looking for the miracle drug for his father. I see ABOY as being about Bono's parents too. He turns to his marriage (AMAAW), activism (Crumbs) and children (OOTS started out being about his girls). Get it? Go on the inside. It's probably their most personal album after AB.

Well, here: "There's so much to write about in this fucked up world right now and Bono goes and hides in his safe, tried and tested cocoon!"
Exactly what is safe about confronting something as major in your life as losing a loved one? I thought he touches on the current terrorism atmosphere on COBL and LAPOE. And he refers to Third world hunger in Crumbs. So it's not like he's avoided the global topics.

Ah yes, the cardinal crime: actually sound like yourself after a decade of experimenting. Pop is nowhere near as daring as UF was, or AB, or Zooropa. You could say shades of ATYCLB and Bomb started with songs like IGWSHA or SATS or Please. Slow songs with, yep, the dreaded chimes.

We don't have to argue if songs from Hut Dab are good or aren't. I personally feel that u2 could made lot better songs than those and that's with the fact that it's my 4th favourite album.
Pearl jam made one of their best albums.
U2 didn't fulfill their potential.

On the topic:
19873) Get Bono to play drums and Larry to sing on whole new album

Pero said:
We don't have to argue if songs from Hut Dab are good or aren't. I personally feel that u2 could made lot better songs than those and that's with the fact that it's my 4th favourite album.
Pearl jam made one of their best albums.
U2 didn't fulfill their potential.

I agree completely. It's a good album but not good enough for U2. :shrug:

Write more music.

I know its a different age but the time span between All That You Can't Leave Behind...and the bands next album will likely be quiet a bit greater than the time period of the entire Beatles catalogue (where they recorded some 214 songs).

Please Please Me - Released March 22, 1963

Let It Be - Released May 8, 1970

---------

All That You Can't Leave Behind - Released October 31, 2000

How to Dismantle An Atomic Bomb - Released November 23, 2004

?????

-----------

Is it greedy to ask that they be more prolific?

Get to work, lads!!

ponkine said:

U2 made ATYCLB trying to copy Joshua Tree. Is that "Dream it all up again"? :down:

They were completely out of ideas, and then invented the excuse "Back To Our Roots", "Punk Rock album", etc, etc when they just copied themselves

5 - Strongly disagree.

ATYCLB is in no way a copy of JT. Why? Because there are slow songs without heavy electronica? :huh:

The "back to their roots" argument came out with 1). the lack of heavy twisting of electronic effects on the album, and 2). the "stripped-down" appearance of the tour. It does not, in any way, describe the music itself. Does ATYCLB sound like Boy? Nope. October? Nope. It doesn't sound like any of their previous albums, especially not JT. Like it or not, ATYCLB is its own beast, and the only way the band got back to their roots are those two points I just mentioned. Detractors of the album can't seem to realize that, though. Like the album or don't like the album..that's fine. Just don't base the opinion on shifty beliefs. :shrug:

Back
Top Bottom