U2 Staging For A Summer Tour Confirmed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spanisheyes

Forum Moderator, The Goal Is Soul
Miami, New Orleans, London, Belfast, and Berlin
Published in the Gazet van Antwerpen...
(my translation and edit)

U2 to tour this summer

U2 fans who couldn't get a seat in the Antwerp Sportpaleis last August can expect good news: the Irish supergroup is planning to tour again this summer. The staging company Stageco from Werchter has confirmed talks with U2 to build a stage for a summer tour.

U2 manager Paul McGuinness admitted on U2.com that the band is considering touring this summer. McGuinness only confimed the rumors we have been hearing for a while. We've heard the Irish group has already
taken an option on the Stade de France in Paris. G?teborg, Sweden, and Londonderry have also been discussed as possible concert locations. We will have to wait a while before we know the exact dates.

In Werchter, the headquarters of Stageco, they are ready for a new adventure with U2. "We have talked and an option has been taken," said Hedwig Demeyer. "But we don't have an official order yet -- but in the music business, we normally don't get this. Typically, the staging company is the last one to be informed about it. But we can tell you that most rumors and options in this business become reality."

Demeyer can only speculate about the shape of U2's summer concerts. "We haven't been in touch with a designer, but a few things are already completed. Last year U2 gave open air concerts in Dublin and Turin -- and we are working on that concept."

The order would be a great welcome for Stageco, which is currently busy working on the Olympic Games in Salt Lake City.

Cindy

This is excellent news for Europe and hopefully Australia and South America and the rest of the world as well. The new album being played on the world stage.

Chris

That's awesome! More elevation for Europe, then maybe they can get down under to Oz or over to Latin America. Quite frankly, I hope they don't come back to the states for a while. I would feel too guilty for hogging them.

this is really great news.
seems like their working on an extension of the elevation tour as well by the sounds of it.
as well as this according to u2log.com ticket agencies have already started listing the events.

The Austrian online ticket office www.ticketorder.cc has listed a U2 concert on August 12th in the Austrian capital Vienna. No price as yet.

Hello, long time since I've been here... but I'm back!

It was announced here too, yesterday, which was exactly one year after the first announcement of the Elevation Tour 2001 (as Chris referred to in another thread). It's gonna be a hot U2 summer!

i knew it would happen...
smile.gif
i wonder if the new stage will still have the "heart"? i hope it does- that design was GENIUS!

http://www.YouTwo.net
January 10, 2002
Is it wishful thinking or prior knowledge?

Ticketorder.cc, an online ticket service, has a U2 concert listed in its
database. If one believes the information in Ticketorder's database,
U2 will perform an open-air concert in Vienna on August 12, 2002
at the Stadion.

Originally posted by follower:
http://www.YouTwo.net
January 10, 2002
Is it wishful thinking or prior knowledge?

Ticketorder.cc, an online ticket service, has a U2 concert listed in its
database. If one believes the information in Ticketorder's database,
U2 will perform an open-air concert in Vienna on August 12, 2002
at the Stadion.

YAY!!! I hope this is true.

------------------

be uncool, yes be awkward

Originally posted by sulawesigirl4:
That's awesome! More elevation for Europe, then maybe they can get down under to Oz or over to Latin America. Quite frankly, I hope they don't come back to the states for a while. I would feel too guilty for hogging them.

Don't think like that...
As it seems U2 are coming to Zagreb, Croatia on august 15th - MY HOMETOWN. And if I were an american than I would always like them to come back again - that's not greed, That's love for U2. It's only natural

------------------
"Everyone loves me
everyone thinks I'm georgeous
they wait for their turn to meet me..." - Me, 2001.

Vienna and Zagreb both in the same week and i can't make it there. I have other plans for that whole week and there's no way i could cancel that.

Maybe they'll stop by in Ljubljana afterwards? Yeah, what are the odds of that...

------------------

be uncool, yes be awkward

The only thing that this article confirms is that U2 are exploring the possibility of touring this summer. Nothing more. They are taking an option on touring. Likewise, it would only make sense for the band to be soft circling stadium dates. The band's plans could change at any moment in my opinion. For instance, one of the members is having a baby, the new album picks up steam... a million different things could happen. Personally, I would rather see them record a new album then trot out the same songs again. I don't think they can record a new album in the next six months. U2's history suggests otherwise.

karl

Originally posted by karl:
The only thing that this article confirms is that U2 are exploring the possibility of touring this summer. Nothing more. They are taking an option on touring. Likewise, it would only make sense for the band to be soft circling stadium dates. The band's plans could change at any moment in my opinion. For instance, one of the members is having a baby, the new album picks up steam... a million different things could happen. Personally, I would rather see them record a new album then trot out the same songs again. I don't think they can record a new album in the next six months. U2's history suggests otherwise.

karl

karl, they are *definitely* touring europe this summer! trust me....
smile.gif

as for the new album, not sure when that will be out. hopefully in time for the summer shows!

Originally posted by karl:

karl

I don't really get this. If they are only considiring and see another tour as an option, why have so many precise rumors (exact dates, cities, venues), in reliable newspapers, newschannels and actual conversations with fans then come out.
Anyone that has followed U2 know that every rumor as specific as the ones we have this far always have been true. The rumors we have are not like I've heard from someone that have heard from someone that U2 is touring. It is actual news in newspapers with reliable sources from the venues, from the concertpromoters and in some cases even from themselves and their own staff. And have you heard any actual denials?
There are more "confirmations" made then what makes it possible to neglect and just shove away like you do.
Just my opinion.....
smile.gif

------------------
"U2 on it?s own is a very interesting group and all. But U2 with it?s audience is a culture" - Bono

http://community.webshots.com/user/misszooropa
Pictures from Copenhagen (shirtless ones), London and Dublin, Slane.

Originally posted by MissZooropa:
I don't really get this. If they are only considiring and see another tour as an option, why have so many precise rumors (exact dates, cities, venues), in reliable newspapers, newschannels and actual conversations with fans then come out.
Anyone that has followed U2 know that every rumor as specific as the ones we have this far always have been true. The rumors we have are not like I've heard from someone that have heard from someone that U2 is touring. It is actual news in newspapers with reliable sources from the venues, from the concertpromoters and in some cases even from themselves and their own staff. And have you heard any actual denials?
There are more "confirmations" made then what makes it possible to neglect and just shove away like you do.
Just my opinion.....
smile.gif

Things look optimistic that a tour is going to happen in Europe this summer and I agree that it's beyond rumor status.

Again, though, booking a tour is a huge logistical challenge. As part of seriously considering a tour for this summer, management would have to talk with promoters, venues, and everyone else involved in the process, like this stage designer now. They are only doing their homework in the event the band definitively decides on this. So, it's understandable that dates would surface and people would be talking. However, I doubt that U2 has made any serious financial commitments. Until, the band makes an announcement or there is news of an "official" announcement forthcoming, don't be so sure.

karl

karl u2 will definitely tour europe in the summer
u2tours.com in my experience rarely get it wrong.

We're talking about rumours, right? So here goes another one...one guy from UK, from a U2 mailing list, said that he heard from several people about the venues below being investigated for an upcoming U2 tour this year:

Maine Road, Manchester, England
Roundhay Park, Leeds, England
Hyde Park, London, England

Park De France, Paris, France

Olympic Stadium, Munich, Germany
Mannheim, Germany (open air)

Ajax Arena, Amsterdam, Holland
Feyenoord Stadium, Rotterdam, Holland

Landsdowne Road, Dublin, Ireland

Stadio Delle Alpi, Turin, Italy
Olympic Stadium, Rome, Italy

Botanic Gardens, Belfast, Northern Ireland

Murrayfield, Edinburgh, Scotland

Calderon Stadium, Madrid, Spain
Nou Camp, Barcelona, Spain

Millenium Stadium, Cardiff, Wales

Now it comes the best part (at least for me
wink.gif
). He also said that the band might be planning a return trip to Sarajevo and that the tour would end with U2 taking part in Rock in Rio festival, here in Brazil, in January 2003.

Talking about a dream come true...

If U2 does Rio in 2003, it'll be EARLY CARNAVAL for me! I visited Rio in 2000 and had a blast. It would take very little provocation to get me to drag my butt back down there.

Calderon Stadium, Madrid, Spain
Nou Camp, Barcelona, Spain
I've always wanted to visit Spain!
It could be a good BD present for me...Hey hubby gets a new computer any time without being his BD!
biggrin.gif

Now it comes the best part (at least for me ). He also said that the band might be planning a return trip to Sarajevo and that the tour would end with U2 taking part in Rock in Rio festival, here in Brazil, in January 2003.
Whoooohooooo follower!!!!
Keeping my fingers crossed so your dream comes thru!

Back
Top Bottom