@U2: Spring 2005 release is not out of the question... (!?)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
JOFO, I guess you're right.... Man, I've been just so consumed with the fact that I was wrong on the release date that I never realized I was disappointed....However unlike some people here, who claim they've lost interest, yet post as much as they ever did I:

1) Will never lose faith in this band
2) Demand product that I have no right to demand (before it is finished)
3) Cry over spilt milk

It ain't worth it in the end.

I've been a U2 fan for a long time, so I know how things works. Basically, whenever you hear a rumor about the release of an album being pushed back, you better bet that it's going to be pushed back. Fall of 2004 and now they're saying Spring of 2005. It is now in all likelihood that this album will come out SOMETIME in 2005, because it will be delayed until after springtime of next year. I'm not being pessimistic. I'm being realistic.

I really believe U2 will call it quits after this next tour. They don't really care anymore. They have recorded this album between trips to Africa and trips to America and two month vacations. Bono can then focus on his new passion, saving the world. Edge will probably get into producing and engineering. Larry will join a motorcycle gang, who become the first to ride their motorcycles from Europe, through Asia, across the Bering Strait into North America, and down to South America. Adam will keep a low profile, smoking cigarettes and having beautiful women feed him grapes in his castle. And for all of us....we'll have to find something new to obsess over.

My thoughts:

-The album will come out in spring 2005.
-World tour for a year, during which time they are inducted to the rock and roll hall of fame.
-While no official announcement is made, eveyone assumes that this is U2's last album and tour.
-In 2007 or 2008, rumors start flying that U2 are back in the studio.
-a new album comes out in 2009 to mark their 30th anniverary.
-they decide to tour "1 last time".

dsmith2904 said:

But it wasn't. Honestly, this album has never had a firm release date. It's not like "Chinese Democracy," or even "America's Sweetheart," where the record stores, radio stations and press were told that, yes, the album is going to be coming out on this date and then have it pushed back and back and back. Any release date that has come out for the album has been speculative at best, even if it was Bono saying it.
yep

as far as I can tell we're the only ones worrying
no one near the band seems to be

with talks of a book to go along with the album... next year being the first year of eligability for enterance into the rock and roll hall of fame....plus next year being the 25th anniversary of the release of Boy... steve lillywhite, the producer of Boy, being brought in now to help the producing...

i'm begining to see why u2 felt it could delay things a bit without having to worry about "losing steam." there's plenty of steam already built up in the distance it seems... :shrug: who knows.

all i know is that when any official announcement from the band is made, the office of u2 security will pass that news along to you fine folks!

end shameless plug
:wink:

Last edited:
I think the only way this will be their last album is if it burns bad comercially and criticwise. (like I said, I think we will see the 3rd decade finished)
I think it'd be nice if they celebrated 25th anniversary of Boy and rock n roll hall of fame induction on the road, with live transmissions from the tour :hyper:

But remember, there's still the 6 albums and 3 best of contracts that surely shall be fullfiled, and they bought a new studio not that long ago.

I think that if U2 are to be inducted into the rock'n'roll hall of fame (will it be the beginning of 2005 or the end??) then they should release an album BEFORE that, and use the induction as a tool to boost album and ticket sales. I think they are waiting the induction to help push the album. Smart strategy, really. I think they should take advantage of the Christmas sales THIS Christmas, maybe win a grammy next year, and get inducted into the hall of fame. That would push the hell out of the new album's sales. It's all about strategy at this point, I guess.

The obvious answer to these delays is that the RIAA is cloning the members of U2 to care for and nurture so that they may somehow strengthen the current music catalog and stop piracy with their Bono-ness.

What else will be left to bitch about once you get the album?

I guess you could always say that "song X" sucks or is the greatest thing that they ever made but why not trust the band?

If you aren't on tbis board because of U2's previous music then I don't know why you would be.

And if you are, then what leaves you the impression that they want to release a substandard album (according to the band themselves).

If they could have made ATYCLB better, I, personally would have waited another year. We are not talking about a band in their prime or in their heyday. U2 are an old band, they are the exception to the rule, treat them as such. They are a band who already has a name to live up to. They are a band that has to do something to make themselves relevant, that's what they want. This could take any measure of time, be patient.

Just imagine as if U2 had called it quits in December 2001.

Then what would you be saying now?

They are trying to give US what we want and unfortunately it takes a lot of time to do so.

I think the prosepects for a great album and great tour are promising. Why wouldn't they be?

If the band were satisifed with the music, then the album would be out. Then what would be left top bitch about?

For all intents and purposes this might be, very well could be their last album and tour, so do you want that to be substandard or do you want the best they can offer?

I think they are trying to give us the best they can offer, it's just taking awhile to do so.

Just remember on the day that we recieve the new album, it will either be the last day of it's kind, or it will be many years removed from the next day of it's kind.

The anticipation is the greatest thing.
Once you have the music in your hands, then all doubts are removed.

I think this is U2's last album and that's why they are taking so long. Maybe they just want it to be the best they can make it.
And if it comes out in Fall 2004 or Spring 2005? Really, what is th fucking difference?

Above all and anything the quality of the music is all that matters.
It seems that some just want something new, and pay no attention to the prospective quality of what it may actaully sound like.

It is ONLY now March 2004. I encourage my fellow and impatient U2 fans to stand by and let things happen.

And by all means, if your musical life hangs in the balance of what U2 will do next, you quite honestly, need to branch out and listen to other music.

U2 have only so much left in the gas tank.
I, for one, am glad that they are trying to maxmize what is left.
I think part of the problem with this board is that there are some who refuse to accept this.

U2 might have one great, monumental album left in them.
Maybe they are making it now.
We don't know yet, do we?
Sit back and watch, enjoy the anticipation because it is very likely the last time that we can do so.

I appreciate the love and passion for U2 on this board, I am just trying to point out that, it's quite possible that this is the last period of anticipation that we will ever have for U2.

Once the album is out, the only thing left is to see the the live performances, then after that, it's either over or another 4-5 years waiting.

I think it might be best to resolve yourself to thinking that this is their last album, because I think it is. And if that's the situation, then what else is there to want from U2? They are just trying to do it up the best they can. They are just trying to do it one more time. It takes longer because the music needs it. Not because the band are lazy, the music needs it.

That's the only reason for caring, right? The music?

Hot Press, March 01, 2004

Paul McGuinnes has confirmed that it's full steam ahead, not back to the drawing board, for the new U2 record as Steve Lillywhite takes over the production reins from Chris Thomas.

"There are various producers involved in this album," the U2 manager reflects. "Chris has done some great work. It's good to work with Steve again but it's not as if we're starting from scratch."

That didn't appear to be the case last week when Lillywhite told American trade bible, Billboard: "It's the first time I'll have gone in to actually start a record with them in 20 years. I worked on The Joshua Tree, Achtung Baby and All That You Can't Leave Behind, but this will be the first time I've really set up the mikes and done everything for a long time. I've heard some great songs. The Edge is playing some really great guitar."

Lillywhite is in fact the third producer to be brought in, with Daniel Lanois doing some low grade tweaking last October when he was in Dublin for shows.

According to a source close to the band: "Cynics are bound to go, 'That's McGuinness glossing over the fact that they're unhappy with Chris Thomas,' but my understanding is that Steve Lillywhite really has been brought in as additional producer, not a replacement. The attitude in the camp is, 'Let's take the extra month or two and get it absolutely right'."

Paul McGuinness said much the same thing last June when asked about the work-in-progress.

"It sounds very exciting to me, very rock 'n' roll, very direct," he enthused before adding as a proviso: "I'm just reminding everyone that we must learn from past mistakes and not release it before it's finished."

So when can we expect U2's 12th studio album to make it into the shops? While the original late April/early May release date has long since been abandoned, there's still every chance of it hitting the racks before Christmas.

"U2 aren't like other bands in that they can make and break release dates without the record company screaming at them," our source continues. "My understanding is that they're aiming for September/October but if necessary will wait until March or April 2005. What you won't get this side of Christmas is a tour."

Steve Lillywhite is returning to full-time production after two years as joint MD of Mercury Records.

"The time I've spent in the studio recently with The Rapture has made me realise getting up early for management meetings is not for me," he laughs.

It's perhaps no coincidence that the NYC guitar merchants are the latest addition to Paul McGuinness' Principle Management stable, and were paternally watched over by him this month when they played the Dublin Village.

Meanwhile, the Edge has also been busy recording the theme tune for the new TV version of Batman. Due to premiere Stateside in the summer, the series reverts to the Adam West-style comedy Caped Crusader of the '60s with West returning in the role of Mayor Grange. Bruce Wayne -- now upgraded from millionaire to billionaire status -- is being played by Rino Ramano who's previously been heard but note seen in the cartoon versions of Spiderman, Ghostbusters and Men in Black.

It's not the first time U2 have visited Gotham City -- the whole band contributed "Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me" to 1995's Batman Forever.

? Hot Press, 2004

...the whole thread is about... "oh no, spring 2005 release..."

...just wanted to point out the very important message out of this article...

that U2 is not starting over with Lillywhite, but taking an extra month or two to make sure the album is finished.

... please, be alittle more optimistic...:angel:

and with U2, optimissm regading an album release goes out the window.
Guarenteed it's Spring 2005 now.

U2DMfan said:
What else will be left to bitch about once you get the album?
I liked your post a lot though I don't share your opinon that this will be U2's last album
it might very well be their last attempt to be truly relevant both artistically and commercially though

to answer your question I quoted:
in some weird way I think there are people here who actually want U2's next album to be horrible so that they can move away from U2 and towards other bands they like without feeling they are leaving the band behind that they loved so much
I can understand why people who loved Achtung Baby and Zooropa don't like ATYCLB just as much as I can understand that some people who loved The Unforgettable Fire and the Joshua Tree didn't like Achtung Baby and Zooropa and some people who loved Boy and War didn't like Unforgettable Fire and the Joshua Tree
it's something that seems to happen with U2 fans once every couple of albums really

the ironic thing about this generation of U2 fans is that they claim they want U2 to keep pushing themselves while they fail to see that U2 in their way IS pushing themselves
just not in the way these fans wants them to
but not in any aspect of life can you blame someone else for not living up to your expectations

U2 didn't aim for ATYCLB to be a sonical bombastic experience
they aimed at writing the most perfect songs that they currently were able to in a long tradition of songwriting
whether they achieved this, well, that's a personal opinion
(I for one think they did though I still wouldn't say AYTYCLB is my fave U2 album)
but to claim that the band didn't push themselves and just tried to play save is a false claim

U2's next release will cause them to lose a certain percentage of their current hardcore fanbase
they've been there before so I don't think they fear this
they probably do want the new album to make sure there will be a new hardcore fanbase for another couple of albums though
I hope they'll manage this somehow
it would be an achievement never matched in music before

Salome said:

U2 didn't aim for ATYCLB to be a sonical bombastic experience
they aimed at writing the most perfect songs that they currently were able to in a long tradition of songwriting
whether they achieved this, well, that's a personal opinion
(I for one think they did though I still wouldn't say AYTYCLB is my fave U2 album)
but to claim that the band didn't push themselves and just tried to play save is a false claim

I think they pushed themselves to make a commercial album. They did.

Originally posted by SalomeU2's next release will cause them to lose a certain percentage of their current hardcore fanbase
they've been there before so I don't think they fear this
they probably do want the new album to make sure there will be a new hardcore fanbase for another couple of albums though
I hope they'll manage this somehow
it would be an achievement never matched in music before

One Word: Aerosmith.

I certainly wouldn't want them to turn into that. Maybe they already have.

Last edited:
calling ATYCLB "pushing to make a commercial album"
is about as ludicrous as stating that POP was a desperate attempt to try to gain some of the credibility electronic acts such as Underworld etc had at that moment
it's only based on your opinion on ATYCLB
not on what U2 did
ATYCLB was an uncool album to make at the time
hell it still is
if they wanted easy commercial success they would have added a more rocking guitar sound and have asked Nigel Godrich to produce it
that would have given them enough credibility to sell a shitload of albums

the Aerosmith comparison I don't get at all
but that might be the difference in living in Europe instead of the US

I do find some of the comments regarding ATYCLB very odd!
It sold fantastically well and judging by a LOT of people on here this is when they got on the U2 train or should that be bandwagon?
It obviously cant be that bad otherwise where did all the new fans come from????????????

If U2 wanted to really go commercial all they'd have to do would be stick to their sound of the 80's.

ATYCLB was unlike anything on the charts at the time. It was all about songwriting, and they succeeded well.

And just like with any album, some fans will go and others will come. (U2 is nowhere near Aerosmith)

Why do people think that they would want to release a record in conjunction with being inducted into the Hall of Fame? I reckon that's the last thing on their mind..and besides, the conotations of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is 'old dinosaurs' which I'm sure would not be in line with the image that they want with the next campaign..

Back
Top Bottom