U2 Songs You've Shelved

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Infinity

Refugee
When you listen to a song too many times, it obviously loses it's magic. Thats why, when I feel like listening to a song, I don't listen to it for a while. That makes me miss it. And then finally after missing it for a while, I play it once. Then usually I don't listen to it again for a while. I make it a rarity. Everybody should try doing this, it's interesting.

U2 songs I've been shelving lately are:
Gloria
Electrical Storm
Walk On
With or Without You
Sweetest Thing
The Hands that Built America

However tonight, I will listen to these songs and i'll shelve HTDAAB, Achtung Baby, and Elevation Boston and see how long I can go.

Has anybody else ever done this or am I a little crazy?:wink:

Last edited:
I've shelved an entire album, HTDAAB. I'll probably pull UF off the shelf though, that album is like an old friend you haven't seen in ages.

When Love Comes to Town, One Tree Hill, Still Haven't Found, Elevation, Babyface, Miami, Babyface, etc...

Since you mentioned Elevation Boston, I would say that any live recordings are tricky. Since alot of the same songs get played live, listening or watching several shows can quickly wear out my enjoyment of the 'classics'.

I've tried to shelve HTDAAB, so that I don't get tired of it. It doesn't work too well though. One week is the most I've went without reaching for it again.

Palace_Hero said:
I've probably listened to the Bomb once this year.

Yo... Mr. Hero, you must be quite proud of your 20 questions (okay, 27) thread! Popular and not in a controversial way.... for a change. :wink:

Last edited:
Infinitum98 said:
When you listen to a song too many times, it obviously loses it's magic. Thats why, when I feel like listening to a song, I don't listen to it for a while. That makes me miss it. And then finally after missing it for a while, I play it once. Then usually I don't listen to it again for a while. I make it a rarity. Everybody should try doing this, it's interesting.

U2 songs I've been shelving lately are:
Gloria
Electrical Storm
Walk On
With or Without You
Sweetest Thing
The Hands that Built America

However tonight, I will listen to these songs and i'll shelve HTDAAB, Achtung Baby, and Elevation Boston and see how long I can go.

Has anybody else ever done this or am I a little crazy?:wink:

Not really, cos I'll generally rotate my U2 listening. 14 albums, takes a while for something to lose it's magic. I made cassette copies of all my U2 CD's, as my car only has a tape deck.

My tape deck in my car broke, so I haven't been listening to U2 as much except when a song comes on the radio. U2 songs gain back their magic in spades after listening to some of the stuff on radio nowadays. The radio at work is stuck on "soft rock" so yeah, no U2 during the work day.

I will say this, I've probably heard/listened to to "New Year's Day" more times than any other U2 song, yet...it hasn't lost it's "magic" for me. Maybe in another year or two it could, but not yet.

One, With Your Without You, Streets, Pride, Mysterious Ways...usually the songs that get played on the radio most frequently.

yeah, sometimes I skip a song for a time because I know that when I'll listen it again it will have another kind of magic

still haven't found and stay (f,sc) are examples.

SBS I have grown tired of and never really rated.

Pride - have grown tired of the album version but still quite like the R & H live version.

I'd say HTDAAB has been shelved for quite some time now ... as that album has not really interested me any further ...
I only listen to a few songs from it now ... Vertigo, Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own, A Man And A Woman and Fast Cars are the only songs I like from this album, otherwise, I won't listen to the rest of it ... :tsk:

I could also say the same for the Zooropa album ... as I only listen to Zooropa, Lemon, Stay (Faraway So Close) and Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed Car ... otherwise, I won't listen to the rest of this album either ... :no:

Bullet the Blue Sky and Pride are SO over!

Honorable mention:
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
New Years Day
I Will Follow

Stay and The Ground Beneath Her Feet - because I've listened to them TOO many times over and over and over.

Strangely, I can listen to Achtung Baby in entirety to infinity and beyond.

But I shelved ATYCLB for a year and recently listened to it on a roadtrip and decided I liked it even less than before. :ohmy: not sure what to do about it now. I mean, of course I like Elevation, but I think I like it live better. There are too many lines on that album that make me say "wha'?" and... oh never mind, I don't want to rant on...

Back
Top Bottom