U2 songs you liked and then started to hate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
macphisto23 said:
Scarlet- is one of the best songs ever written by U2

Agreed. Wonderfully beautiful piece that is too often ignored.

Desire...At first I found this song catchy but now find it rather shallow and boring. The song's lack of substance is reflected in its quick rise to the top of the charts and equally fast descent from the charts. I also don't much care for Elevation anymore for basically the same reason. :(

City of Blinding Lights.... At first I thought it was genius...now I think it's just a rehash.

Um, I got sick of 'Please' as it was flogged to death on the radio here in Australia. I dont hate it though.

Pride. I loved this song and now it's one of my least favorites of the big singles.

I'm also not a huge fan of With or Without You but I am finding a new appreciation with my JT restored playlist on my iPod. I've started playing "Walk to the Water" before WOWY instead of after and now I think both songs make a lot more sense (even though many people place Luminous Times and Walk after WOWY).

I really liked Dirty Day but now it's my least favorite Zooropa track.

I'm sure there are others but this is what I can think of right now.

Like a song and neon lights.

I tried to download COBL on the day the new album was leaked and when i got a song called 'city of blinding lights' it was in fact 'neon lights'. not paying too much attention to the lyrics, i actually thought that COBL was what i had downloaded, much to my dissapointment after what i had heard about COBL and how good it was. then the album came out and i heard the real COBL. it was a great relief to hear that COBL was a fantastic song!

"Pride", but for the simple reason everytime they play it live they murder it.

The tempo always drags and it sounds like hell live. It should be jettisoned from live shows forever unless they come up with a version that they can play with some authority.

"Bad" is okay but that song has always suffered to me because nothing will ever take the place of the Live Aid version--I've seen them do crappy versions and good versions, depending on the night, but never have they matched the scorcher that one was.

"Desire" became tiresome when they started doing the unplugged version, which merely highlighted how slight the song really is. Without those booming drums and Edge's chiming guitar, it sounds amateur.

Pride
When love come to town
Even better than the real thing (i don't know why... i just dont like it)
The wanderer
Grace
One step closer

I can't stand 'Pride' live anymore. Even the studio version sounds a little grating. It's a pretty slow song and it just doesn't go anywhere. Live it's especially bad because Bono strains so hard for those notes and is usually way off key. Listen to the Zoo TV Sydney video for a perfect example.

*Shudder*

neon lights (though i'm not sure covers really count) - there's only one line in the whole song. by the end i'm just bored with it. never liked the kraftwerk version much either.

desire - i don't really have any reasoning. just bothers me a little now and i never have a desire (terrible pun not intended, heh) to listen to it.

the wanderer - it's become instinct to me to skip this track. i really don't even know why.

when love comes to town - again, i skip it.

i don't think i could really say that i hate any U2 songs. i'll gladly listen to all of them over most anything else, so it's all relative, i suppose.

BonoIsMyMuse said:
With or Without You...I lost a hell of a lot of respect for it when it was used in that episode of Friends.
i know a lot of people who have become U2 fans simply because they fell in love with WOWY from the Friends episode. i think it was used quite nicely. :wink:

mads said:
when love comes to town - again, i skip it.
the version (well, what we hear at least) that was in the movie was pretty good. however, the album version is very eh. bb sounds good, but bono just sounds like he's trying too hard.

Pride & Miracle Drug

I hate to say it but it gets butchered live and I'm just plain tired of it. During the ET, everyone was trying to get them to play the song. I was secretly hoping they wouldn't.

I never liked Miracle Drug to begin with.

I skip it, too...Isn't that weird, at the beginning I was pretty sure it would be my favourite from the album

Sunday bloody Sunday and New Year's day. I don't know why, they just don't care about them. It's interesting because they are the first U2 songs I heard.

Up until recently, also Bullet the blue sky, though I'm liking it more now.

I can't stand "Even better than the real thing". I skip it always.
I also really find "Daddy's gonna pay..." unlistenable.
Elevation was a good concert opener, but I can't listen to it on the album anymore. Pretty stupid song.

I'm totally going to have to go with J-Tree here...

Pride is a fantastic song on the first few listens... but repeated listenings really do bore the senses. Pride would have to be one of my least favourite tracks of UF...

Back
Top Bottom