U2 songs that you don't like the title of

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zoots

Blue Crack Supplier
Prompted by a conversation with Reggie at the Temple Bar :wink: I ask you this question tonight...

What songs, if any, do you guys not like the title of?

The only one I can think of rightaway is Electrical Storm. I'd have probably called it Some Way Back To Love or something like that.

Oh yeah, so make up your own name too, for your choices cos it's fun. :p

Last edited:
I dont like the excessivley long titles.

"I cant think of a good title so I'll just take the longest verse or phrase of a song and call it that"

Come on Bono :angry:

I find that I don't really like the titles of songs (or albums) that are more than 3 or 4 words - Stuck, Sometimes, etc

Call me lazy, but I don't like spitting out a monologue just to say the title of the song I'm listening to.

Sicy said:
I dont like the excessivley long titles.

"I cant think of a good title so I'll just take the longest verse or phrase of a song and call it that"

Come on Bono :angry:

damn, you beat me to it! :madspit: :wink:

Sweetest Thing

I'd like it better with the article "the" before it.

I cant really think of any that I dont like, just a few that I'd change

Stuck In A Moment You Cant Get Out Of :down:
Stuck In A Moment :up:

Sweetest Thing :down:
The Sweetest Thing :up:

The Electric Co. :down:
The Electric "Company" :up: (just in pronunciation of the song title. The song should still be titled "The Electric Co." though)

I don't like a fair few, to be honest. In square brackets is an alternative if I have one.

- 4th Of July
- Elvis Presley And America
- Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses
- Tryin' To Throw Your Arms Around The World
- Ultra Violet (Light My Way) [cut the bracketed part]
- Babyface
- Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed Car
- Some Days Are Better Than Others [Some Days]
- Miami
- The Playboy Mansion [No Sorrow Or Pain]
- If You Wear That Velvet Dress [Flickers Of Light]
- Stuck In A Grammatically Incorrect Title You Can't Get Out Of [Stuck In A Moment]
- Peace On Earth [Something less trite and cheesy!]
- New York
- Miracle Drug
- Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own [Tough]
- Love And Peace Or Else
- Fast Cars [Xanax And Wine]

Zootlesque said:
What would you guys have called Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of as? Just SIAM? :wink:

Heheh - yes!!! By DEFINITION, if you are "stuck in a moment," of course you can't get out of it. That's what being stuck means. So in addition to being long-winded, the title is redundant.

And it ends in a preposition.

:wink:

Zootlesque said:
What would you guys have called Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of as? Just SIAM? :wink:

Get rid of the "You Can't Get Out Of" and it would be a not-quite-as-horrible title. :| There really is nothing good about that song, is there? :eyebrow:

2861U2 said:

The Electric Co. :down:
The Electric "Company" :up: (just in pronunciation of the song title. The song should still be titled "The Electric Co." though)

The title stands for Electro Convulsive Therapy, not Electric Company

I threw a brick through a window.... that line is nowhere in the song. It really has no resonance with the lyrics at all.

With a shout (Jerusalem)- Why does the Jerusalem part even need to be on there? Why did they have to make this stinker of a song anyway?

Pride (in the name of love)- This song is a big hit, and the most recognizable part of the song is "in the name of love". Most people probably don't even know the song is actually called "Pride".

I still haven't found what I'm looking for- while this title is too long, I honestly see no alternative for it.

Hawkmoon 269- The only reason 269 is there is because it was the 269th mix of the song. Hawkmoon is a little town in North or South Dakota the band passed through once. Drop the damned 269.

Hold me, thrill me, kiss me, kill me- I hate this title. I don't know what else they would call it. But I just hate the Hold me comma thrill me comma kiss me comma kill me.

The Playboy Mansion- Good song, but the lyrics are so dated. The title is just stupid.

Stuck in a moment= perfect title

The_acrobat said:
I threw a brick through a window.... that line is nowhere in the song. It really has no resonance with the lyrics at all.

I don't know why, but I've always liked that title.
:shrug:

Anyways. What I don't like is how they always take the song title from the chorus of the song. I like it better when they take the title from a meaningful lyric you only hear once or twice in the song. Or maybe they don't say it at all in the song. To me, it just gives off the illusion that they actually think about what a good title for a song would be as opposed to just taking the line they repeat most often in the song. Know what I mean?

That's probably why I like the title I Threw A Brick Through A Window.

More examples are Kite, Bad, The Unforgettable Fire, An Cat Dubh, etc.

BlackElectric said:
Anyways. What I don't like is how they always take the song title from the chorus of the song. I like it better when they take the title from a meaningful lyric you only hear once or twice in the song. Or maybe they don't say it at all in the song. To me, it just gives off the illusion that they actually think about what a good title for a song would be as opposed to just taking the line they repeat most often in the song. Know what I mean?

:yes:

I love it when the titles are not obvious in the chorus! Walk On could've been called All That You Can't Leave Behind. :hmm: But I don't mind Walk On in this case.

I really like Tough instead of SYCMIOYO.

WGRYWH is cumbersome but necessary because of all the other damn songs with the wild horses. It could be shortened to "Whose Gonna" due to the repitition of that phrase with different endings, but that sounds like a rap song. I'm kind of wondering why Bono didn't call it "You Left My Heart Empty as a Vacant Lot." :laugh: YLMHEAAVL - does that take the cake for longest title?

Love and Peace Or Else should be Love and Peace, or if they must use 5 words "We Need Love and Peace" would be better.

I like Electric Co. because it sounds like "electical" and I think there's a reason for that.

Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed Car should really just be Daddy's Gonna Pay or something else entirely.

Trash, Trampoline, and the Party Girl was much better as "Party Girl."

Back
Top Bottom