U2 songs that sound like other peoples songs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The beginning of Mofo live (live, not album version) sounds very similar to the beginning of Immigrant Song by Led Zeppelin. If you'll listen, you will know what I'm talking about- these ooooo-OOOOO-OOOOOOOO!!! and an intensive, heavy rhythm. No surprise that Bono calls Mofo the "Led Zeppelin of the 25th century".

ozeeko said:
VERTIGO chorus is a rip off of "Keep Me Hanging On" ...and some Billy Joel song off River Of Dreams. I think it's "No Man's Land"..might be Great Wall Of China...one of those.

:lol:

How can you claim "rip off", if you don't even know what songs you are talking about?

MacPhistoPT said:
I always thought "Zooropa" sounded like R.E.M. after the two first minutes :shrug:

I always thought "Zooropa" sounded like Pink Floyd for the first two minutes.

The drum pattern in BTBS is a replica of Led Zeppelin's "When The Levee Breaks".

The chord changes in AOH are the same as the chord changes on Bob Dylan's "Like a Rolling Stone".

Lemon is almost a carbon copy of any Roxy Music song.

Here's a weird one that might just be me, but I've always thought Miss Sarajevo's chord progressions and feel sounded like "Femme Fatale" by Velvet Underground.

The 'Daaaaay' section just after the 'see the world' section in BD always reminded me of parts of "Video Killed a Radio Star".

"Love Comes Tumbling" always had a Fleetwood Mac vibe to me.

"How can you claim "rip off", if you don't even know what songs you are talking about?"

easily. I just type it in and what you read is my claim. You really can't notice the similarities with "Keep Me Hanging On?"

"Set me free why don't you babe" - "Hello, Hello"
"Get out my life why don't you babe" - "I'm at a place called Vertigo"

The melodies are EXTREMELY EXTREMELY SIMILAR. (don't give me shit if i got a word or two wrong because i'm not discussing lyrics) And I didn't even notice the similarity until some people told me.

As for Billy Joel, it was the "No Man's Land" song. I haven't heard that song since 1994, that's why i was confused a little. But I remembered the melody. And it's very similar. Keen listener, ain't I?

That doesn't mean U2 are idiots and plagiarists. You can still listen to the song. I won't, because it promotes ignorance (uno, dos, tres, catorce)

ozeeko said:
"How can you claim "rip off", if you don't even know what songs you are talking about?"

easily. I just type it in and what you read is my claim. You really can't notice the similarities with "Keep Me Hanging On?"

"Set me free why don't you babe" - "Hello, Hello"
"Get out my life why don't you babe" - "I'm at a place called Vertigo"

The melodies are EXTREMELY EXTREMELY SIMILAR. (don't give me shit if i got a word or two wrong because i'm not discussing lyrics) And I didn't even notice the similarity until some people told me.

:| Now I know you are just ruffling feathers and stirring shit. That or you don't even know what a melody is.

A melody is:

A rhythmically organized sequence of single tones so related to one another as to make up a particular phrase or idea.

The vocal melody of "hello, hello" vs. "Set me free, why don't you babe?"

Is a 4 syllable phrasing vs a 6 syllable phrasing, not a similar melody does that make. It especially doesn't make an "extremely similar".

I won't even go into the other.

ozeeko said:
Keen listener, ain't I?
No, not at all.
ozeeko said:

I won't, because it promotes ignorance (uno, dos, tres, catorce)

Something it has in common with your post.

Last edited:
um, sir, I'm not talking about the amount of syllables in each line. I'm talking about...ugh just fucking listen to both songs. Seriously, do you hear any resemblance, maybe even the slightest? Because if you don't then you're a fucking douchebag. No offense.

ozeeko said:
um, sir, I'm not talking about the amount of syllables in each line. I'm talking about...ugh just fucking listen to both songs. Seriously, do you hear any resemblance, maybe even the slightest?
You said melody and when speaking of vocal melodies, syllalbes and the way they are arranged DO make and define a melody. No I hear no resemblence.

I'm a music major. It's obvious to me after reading this thread that many here really don't know much about music theory. I'm not knocking that. I'm just saying there's a lot confusion in here. But one doesn't have to understand it all to enjoy it. The beauty of music.
ozeeko said:

Because if you don't then you're a fucking douchebag. No offense.

Now that being said.

Fuck off troll.

doubleU said:

You said melody and when speaking of vocal melodies, syllalbes and the way they are arranged DO make and define a melody. No I hear no resemblence.

I'm a music major. It's obvious to me after reading this thread that many here really don't know much about music theory. I'm not knocking that. I'm just saying there's a lot confusion in here. But one doesn't have to understand it all to enjoy it. The beauty of music.

Now that being said.

Fuck off troll.

Well...your technical and literal definition of melody did cause me to wonder if you were somehow involved with music theory. Anyway, let's settle your confusion on this matter, and forgive me for not speaking to you on the appropriate intellectual level. My original post was simply stating that the vertigo chorus sounds like the choruses to two other songs. I didn't say in the strictest term of the word melody. I simply said the word..melody. Forget melody, let's say vocal hook. The hooks to me sound very similar. And that's including the music as well. I'm speaking chord progressions and everything else combined that leads me to believe the choruses sound similar. Forget the technical and scientific explanation or whatever evidence you're looking for, and just listen. They sound similar. If you disagree, then it must be out of pride (and in the name of love). Were you referring to me as a troll? I can't tell because there was no comma after "off." This leads me to believe that you were signing that post with "Fuck off troll." Is that your secret alias? I would seek a new nickname. Pronto. Is Douche Bag taken?

Last edited:
ozeeko said:

let's say vocal hook. The hooks to me sound very similar. And that's including the music as well. I'm speaking chord progressions and everything else combined that leads me to believe the choruses sound similar. Forget the technical and scientific explanation or whatever evidence you're looking for, and just listen. They sound similar.

Well if they sound similar to you then they sound similar to you. Chord progressions aren't similar. Similar driving rhythms with the U2 and the Joel song, but that's about it.

The U2 song and the Kim Wilde song may be in the same key, I would have to really look at it, but regardless I hear nothing that marks a "rip off".

Well, music major, what is your definition of a "rip off?" Just kidding. I'll take back "rip off" and substitute with "similarity." EVERYONE HAPPY?

ozeeko said:
Well, music major, what is your definition of a "rip off?"

It would actually need the same chord progression. Same riff, or the same melody.

And then to be a "rip off" it would have to be intentional. If you find a similarity between a Pearl Jam and a Who song, you might be suspicious of a "rip off". I don't think U2's looking at Billy Joel or Kim Wilde as inspiration.

Take an introduction class, or just listen to them side by side, and you'll laugh at your original post.

Last edited:
OMG hay guyZ! look two internet posters being mad at eachother. What are the odds.

-ejects from topiX-

XHendrix24 said:
U2 totally ripped off the Village People in the Discotheque video. :shh:

I noticed :shh:

On another note....not having anything to do with the above silliness....there is a Metallica song...and no I don't know the name so don't beat me over it....that Vertigo bears a resemblance too....I don't listen to metallica, I was in the car with my step-dad, he was lsitening to the song, and I started singing vertigo to myself, and was rather surprised at the similarities...

are you blatantly ignoring the fact I withdrew my usage of the term "rip off". Let's be fair, seriously. You had your chance to chastise me. Seems foolish to do it after I admit a mistake. I'm still in stiches over "Fuck off Troll". When I am done peeing I'll scroll up to find my original post. I remember it was quite hilarious. Hmmm...let's see...

"VERTIGO chorus is a rip off of "Keep Me Hanging On" ...and some Billy Joel song off River Of Dreams. I think it's "No Man's Land"..might be Great Wall Of China...one of those."

Searching for the hysteria....Okay, there's a statement I agree with, the Billy Joel section I am now at....I wasn't sure at the time but I corrected myself in a post later...hmmm. Not as funny as I remember it. Sorry man. But it was pretty funny when I called you a douche bag!

ozeeko said:
are you blatantly ignoring the fact I withdrew my usage of the term "rip off".
You asked what my definition would be. I answered.
ozeeko said:

But it was pretty funny when I called you a douche bag!

Yes if we were in third grade. I'm not, so I don't find the humor.

I'm done with this meaningless debate.

doubleU said:

I'm done with this meaningless debate.

Okay I'm sorry. You're not a douche bag. You're a very intelligent young man and a colleague. And you dance the tango and drive a Ferrarri better than any man I have ever seen!

"Won't you be back...tommorrrowwww..."

Spanish Eyes

Bonos singing in this sounds so much like Jim Kerr from
Simple Minds.Every time I hear it I picture Jim Kerr singing it.

Scary I know!!

McFly (British boyband) have totally and utterly ripped off and copied Acrobat on a song on their latest album. Seriously. It's like the exact same guitar. It's just awful.

I always thought 'Love You Like Mad' sounded like a Bowie song

LNOE for some reason reminds me of A-Ha's Living Daylights

Don't forget the "touch me" part of Beautiful Day. It sounds exactly like the "touch me" part of A-Ha's The Sun Always Shines on TV.

"three sunrises" sounds like neil diamond.
"vertigo" has some sonic youth-ish element.
" all because of you" no doupt sounds like sheryl crow.
"babyface" sounds a bit like david bowies "china girl"

The "All that you fashion, all that you steal" verse on Walk On is almost exactly the same as Eclipse by Pink Floyd

I may be crazy, but the first few times I heard A Man And A Woman I thought it totally sounded like a Sting song. Not totally sure which song, but the delivery sounded very Sting-like to me.

Anyone else realise how similar the chorus of the Gorillaz song, 'Feel Good INC' is to the start of 'Staring at The Sun'?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom