U2 songs intended for soundtracks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brimcart

The Fly
Okay, I've been having this debate over which songs have been written for movies. We all know that HMTMKMKM, THTBA, and TGBHF were written specifically for release on their respective movie soundtracks. However, can't you credit songs such as Stay (Faraway, So Close) and IGWSHA to being inspired by movies? I might be wrong here, but I'm just looking for others who know more about history on this than I do.

On an unrelated note, was listening to ES last night for the 100th time while I caught a glance of the new Matrix movie trailer, and I began to think...ya know, this song might actually make a good track for this movie. The lyrics seem to fit right in. Give it a listen again, with an objective mind, and tell me if see what I mean.

I believe that Stay was directly inspired by the Wim Wenders film.

IGWSHA was added to the soundtrack of City of Angels - I don't think it was inspired by the movie at all. I think that the soundtrack producer just thought it was perfect for the soundtrack.

"HMTMKMKM" was a Zooropa left-over that had very little to do with Batman.

typhoon said:

That said, I still think the song suits the character/hero very well. IMO, the whole song is about heros and how people look up to them, but at the same time want those heros to fail and fall. Perfectly suited for Batman, I think.

Oh, TGBHF was not written for the movie (The Million Dollar Hotel). The lyrics are by Salman Rushdie, from his novel by the same name (The Ground Beneath Her Feet that is, not M$H).

Stay is specifically written for Faraway, So Close! Bono was viewing a rough cut of the movie when he came up with the lyrics and the song also features on the soundtrack.
I don't know exactly about Until The End Of The World. Wim Wenders gets the nod in the Achtung Baby booklet, the song features on the soundtrack (and in the movie), but somehow, I don't think the lyrics especially suit the movie. But maybe I'm wrong here and is there a clear link between the lyrics and the movie.
While I'm at it, let's also take into account that other Wim Wenders movie, The End Of Violence. At first I thought that U2's best song of 1997 (I'm Not Your Baby, their duet with Sinead O'Connor) had no connection with the movie, but now I'm not so sure anymore. Who knows more?

C ya!

Marty

typhoon said:

No, I dont think so! I've heard that HMTMKMKM was unfinished and not even ready to be included in zooropa.

unnamed_streets said:

No, I dont think so! I've heard that HMTMKMKM was unfinished and not even ready to be included in zooropa.

Thus, it was a left-over.

It's quite possible the soundtrack producer approached U2 to see if they wanted to contribute a song, and then U2 said, "well, we do have this one song, HMTMKMKM that might work."

I would imagine the song Miss Sarajevo was written for the documentary film Miss Sarajevo by Bill Carter. U2 financed part of the film and Bono was an excutive producer. I believe they were both released during the same year too. On a related note there is The Edge's song Heroine for the movie The Captive - Bono's songs In The Name Of The Father and You Made Me A Thief Of Your Heart for ITNOTF - and Bono and The Edge's Goldeneye for the Bond movie of the same name. All of these together could make an interesting CD-R !

There have been several U2 songs put on soundtracks, even as far back as I Will Follow on the real bad B-Movie(at the moment the name escapes me). But most of these were just "slapped on" having little to no meaning with the movie. The only songs written for movies are;

The stuff Edge did for Captive
The Million Dollar stuff (with the exception of TGBHF)
Stay
In the Name of the Father stuff
The Hands that Built America
Dirty Day inspired from movie but I wouldn't say it counts

There could be more but I'm drawing a blank

U2 AND THE MOVIES

In The Name Of The Father
Sunday Bloody Sunday ?
Miss Sarajevo
The Hands That Built America
Stay (Faraway So Close) ? (Craig Armstrong Mix ?)
Stateless
Never Let Me Go
Falling At Your Feet
The Ground Beneath Her Feet
Heroine
Theme From Mission Impossible
Billy Boola
Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me
Until The End Of The World
I?m Not Your Baby
You Made Me A Thief Of Your Heart
Goldeneye

A. Sunday Bloody Sunday ? I haven?t seen the 2002 movie Bloody Sunday yet but from what I hear it is excellent. It is a recreation depiction of the Bloody Sunday tragedy in 1972. And of course U2?s song is titled after this event and addresses it in the lyrics. U2 has publicly endorse the movie and given permission for their Sunday Bloody Sunday to be used as the trailer music at the film?s website and it is included in the movie itself over the closing credits. It is a live version and I haven?t heard from which concert it is taken from.
B. The Craig Armstrong Mix of Stay has strings and it may have more of soundtrack feel. It could flow well with the strings in Miss Sarajevo and The Hands That Built America. There is also the alternate version of Stay from the soundtrack too.
C. I believe the U2 song and the Wim Wenders movie of the same ? Until The End Of The World ? were released before Achtung Baby.
D. Another song from The Captive ?
E. Time Enough For Tears ? Vocals: Andrea Corr - Written: Bono ? Gavin Friday ? and Maurice Seezer (same team that wrote 3 songs for ITNOTF) ? In America (Jim Sheridan) - Late Spring 2003

U2Soar said:
D. Another song from The Captive ?

What about the whole album? I mean, it is the soundtrack album to the movie Captive. On the other hand, I've read that Edge first wrote and recorded the album and only then went looking for a movie for it.

C ya!

Marty

Ya forgot "Always Forever Now" off the Heat soundtrack... although that was technicaly a Passengers song, and technicaly the entire Passengers album was a soundtrack album, just without a movie, which I'm not gonna try to explain anymore 'cause frankly it just confuses me. :ohmy:

On a side note... doesn't it look like the "wave" smiley is smacking himself in the head? Hmmm :wave:

"The Last American Virgin" ( horrible film.. ) was the film in wich I Will Follow was included.

From de The Captive BSO, I highly recomended the instrumental piece "Rowena's Theme", simply, the most beautiful music that I've heard in months.

Vox :cool:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom