U2 songs in new Grand Theft Auto video game?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Headache in a Suitcase

Site Team
Staff member
With the other morally corrupt bootlicking rubes.
New York, NY - September 3, 2004 - Rockstar Games, the world-renowned publishing label of Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc. (NASDAQ: TTWO), and Interscope Records, a part of Universal Music Group, proudly announce a joint venture for the soundtrack to Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, one of the most highly-anticipated video games in history. The details surrounding the artists and track listings on the soundtrack will be kept tightly under wraps until the weeks leading up to the game's launch on October 19, 2004 for the PlayStation?2 computer entertainment system.

"Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas takes place in the early 1990's in a fictional west coast setting, so fans of the blockbuster series can expect the soundtrack to cover the full spectrum of music genres and reflect the sound, vibe and feel of the FM radio dial from that time period," stated Terry Donovan, CEO of Rockstar Games. "The in-game radio stations featured in Grand Theft Auto have been one of the most celebrated and revolutionary aspects of the game since its inception. Through our partnership with Interscope Records, we are confident that the Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas soundtrack will continue to reach new standards of excellence and creativity, and will exceed anything that the video game industry or Hollywood have ever produced in terms of size, scope and depth."

"We are happy to be working with Rockstar Games on the soundtrack to Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas," said Jimmy Iovine, Chairman of Interscope Geffen A&M Records. "I believe that the enormous effort both companies have made in putting the soundtrack together has resulted in something truly special that will be reflected in both the game and the soundtrack albums." Developed by world class designers Rockstar North, Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas is the next installment in the blockbuster franchise that has redefined interactive entertainment and has exceeded 32 million units in total worldwide sales to-date.

So Interscope records, U2's record label, will be handeling the soundtrack for the new GTA... and the soundtrack is supposed to "cover the full spectrum of music genres and reflect the sound, vibe and feel of the FM radio dial from" the early 90's...

How can you have a soundtrack from the early 90s and not have something off achtung baby? hmmm :hmm:

I hope not too. My sons play this game sometimes and I don't like it at all. I wouldn't like to hear U2 associated with it.

Grand Theft Auto games kick ass! Although I couldn't really care less if U2 surfaced on one of the radio stations, I had heard a few artists on the last game, but paid more attention to the stuff I hadn't heard...introduced me to some great music I'd never heard before!

And you say you don't want U2 associated with the game? Well, it's not like they're the most heavenly people on earth, is it? And I bet you they'll be playing the game non-stop when it hits the shelves...:wink:

Originally posted by
And I bet you they'll be playing the game non-stop when it hits the shelves...:wink:

I sure as hell am! I know there's gonna be some Snoop Dogg ("Doggystyle" album...'Gin and Juice' :dance: ) and Dr. Dre. But yeah, it would be cool to have some U2 in there. "Even Better Than the Real Thing" and "The Fly" would kick arse :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
U2's already in all my GTA games (Custom soundtracks on Xbox), so it's not distressing for me.

I don't see why anyone can get up in arms about this.

Bono's shades said:
I'd hate to see U2 whore themselves out to the video game industry.

U2 are a brand. they market products.
an artistically relevant one amidst a sea of irrelevance, at that, but a brand nevertheless.

moving into new and innovative media forms is not whoring. its capitalistic.

I doubt they would want to be associated with that sort of game. But they might have no say over it. I don't really care either way.

I hope not too. My kids won't be able to play this game until they are adults. I'm another that really hates the idea of U2 being associated with it.

the radio stations on grand theft auto range from rock to rap to country to classical to a fake talk radio station... the last version, set in the early 1980s, included acts like motley crue, ozzy osbourne, iron maden, tears for fears, flock of seagulls, blondie, toto, cutting crew, mr. mister, reo speedwagon, luther vandross, hall & oates, wang chung, bryan adams, lionel richie, yes, grandmaster flash, run d.m.c., michael jackson, the pointer sisters, kool & the gang, tito puente and yes... rick james bitch.

the intent of the soundtrack isn't to find songs that fit the type of game, the intent is to find songs that fit the specific era the game is set in.

I think that it is cool 'cause just like movies, video games are a good way to get kids and another audience to listen to your band. The MTV awards having the best video game soundtrack was a prime example of how video games are more recognized in the media and like television commercials, video games are a good media for band exposure for new and old bands.

im ready for the gridlock... im ready to take it to the street
ready for the shuffle, ready for the deal, ready to let go of the steering wheel...

Somehow I'm having a hard time imagining running people in the mall down with a tank to U2 music :huh:

:lmao:

:crack:

DaveC said:

I don't see why anyone can get up in arms about this.

Me niether, why is everyone making a huge fuss?! If you ask me, it's pretty snobbish how people are dismissing the game and saying 'I don't want them associated with it...'

'Headache in a Suitcase' got it spot on, the music is meant to represent the era it's set in, and if that includes U2, who cares? I'd find it pretty cool to coast down the street listening to 'The Fly' and maybe a bit of early nineties Radiohead and many more...anyone worried about U2 having one measly track being put into a game they don't like needs to calm down and stop complaining about such a small thing just because the game doesn't impress you...

Originally posted by

Me niether, why is everyone making a huge fuss?! If you ask me, it's pretty snobbish how people are dismissing the game and saying 'I don't want them associated with it...'

'Headache in a Suitcase' got it spot on, the music is meant to represent the era it's set in, and if that includes U2, who cares? I'd find it pretty cool to coast down the street listening to 'The Fly' and maybe a bit of early nineties Radiohead and many more...anyone worried about U2 having one measly track being put into a game they don't like needs to calm down and stop complaining about such a small thing just because the game doesn't impress you...

I don't think anyone in this thread is reacting uncalmly or being snobbish. A few people, including myself, just don't like the idea.

Last edited by a moderator:
The game is hilarious. I don't think anyone takes it seriously and is going to go out and steal a tank or go on a rampage, and if they do they have other problems besides a video game. We had this thing set up in the living room one holiday at my Mom's and we all played and watched and laughed our asses off, 3 generations. I'm not hiding it from my kids, the more taboo something becomes the more likely they are to sneak and do it at somebody else's house, when you aren't there to supervise. I'm glad they had their first exposure with their yuppie uncle taking the tank into the police station. It was more comedy than fear or danger. Oh and taking out the Village People ruled! The thing that perplexes me is, it goes so well with the cheesier, more campy 80's music, I honestly cannot see anything by U2 fitting in very well with the game. I don't know why they'd use it, and surely their songs are more expensive than some of those 'has beens' must be.

BostonAnne said:

I don't think anyone in this thread is reacting uncalmly or being snobbish. A few people, including myself, just don't like the idea.

But why not?

Back
Top Bottom