U2 songs EVERYONE loves but you CANNOT HATE MORE?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gareth brown

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
We're talking 'One', 'Where the Streets Have No Name', 'With or Without You', 'Beautiful Day'...all the massive U2 songs that have basically made the band a household name time and time again.

Which of U2's major hits, apparent 'Greatest Songs' can you NOT bring yourself to like??

PLUS- *bonus discussion* - Which of U2's unreleased material that has everyone gushing do you hate and suspect people will listen to and laud up JUST BECAUSE IT'S U2?!

I personally cannot think of one for the first question, but as far as unreleased material goes...I'd say "Wild Irish Rose"...could be a hell of a lot better, has the ideas but doesn't put them into practice really! Plus, "Smile"...doesn't really do anything for me either...don't know about you lot..

Discuss.

To your 1st question - Elevation. I know it's not 'Greatest Songs' category, but it was however, very popular with the masses, and a big single.

I however, will never quite get the 'magic' of this particular number!:shrug:

As for Un-released stuff - gotta go with your choice of Smile too I guess. Im more of a Mercy man!!:rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

I only hate one U2 song, and it's a cover and a B-side at that, so it hardly fits the description of "songs everyone else loves." :shrug:

I don't hate them but I'm not very fond of I Will Follow and Sunday Bloody Sunday.

These are not big hits, but i know one thing: I just can't listen a minute of each:

-Elvis Presley and America
-Triyng to Throw Your Arms Around the World

one
all that you can't leave behind

i always skip past one when i'm playing achtung baby. i'm well aware that if one didn't exist, achtung baby wouldn't exist. that doesn't mean i have to love the song. and i do not like all that you can't leave behind. i can't even tell you the last time i listened to it.

Ok I don't hate them but when I hear them I think "ohhh boy not THIS again, change the song!!".

I Will Follow
Two Hearts Beat as One
Sunday Bloody Sunday
New Years Day
Pride
With or Without You
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
Bullet the Blue Sky
When Love Comes to Town (ok I do hate this one)
Angel of Harlem
Staring at the Sun

I don't really dislike any post 1990 songs. I guess they're just more my style.

blahblahblah said:
PLUS- *bonus discussion* - Which of U2's unreleased material that has everyone gushing do you hate and suspect people will listen to and laud up JUST BECAUSE IT'S U2?!
"Mercy" sucks SOOOOOO MUUUUUUUCH.

I don't exactly hate it, but I still don't understand why everyone loves Beautiful Day so much. There are at least 100 songs in U2's catalogue I'd rather listen to than BD.

Bono's shades said:
I don't exactly hate it, but I still don't understand why everyone loves Beautiful Day so much. There are at least 100 songs in U2's catalogue I'd rather listen to than BD.

Agreed. I forgot about that one. Vastly over-rated IMO.

"New Year's Day"
"Pride (In The Name Of Love")
"I Will Follow"
"Sunday Bloody Sunday"
"Desire"

I'm sure that there are a few more, but those are the primary offenders...and pretty much only the live versions (aka, the DEAD versions as I've been hearing them for a few tours, now). Great songs which I don't actually hate...I just DON'T wanna' hear 'em anymore...! I almost ALWAYS find myself skipping these tracks not just on bootlegs, but (as a result of having listened to so many bootlegs on which these songs, for me, are quite boring) also on their respective albums. Just ain't feelin' it so much, these days....

:shrug:

"One" would be at/near the top of that list, if this was only about live stuff. But it isn't, so it isn't there. Rock'n'roll.

Easy: Stuck in a Moment...

I'm a huge fan and have been since I was 14, but that song just doesn't cut it. Way WAy WAY too contemporary and void of everything I like about a U2 tune i.e. ringing guitars, poignant lyrics, rock 'n roll feel as whole, etc. When they played this last time I saw them on the Elevation tour, it seemed as though hundreds of people - including myself - took that opportunity to go to the bathroom.

I like Michael Hutchence and all but....

Usually skip the song or change the radio station just cos I'm sick to death of hearing these...

Pride
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Where the Streets Have No Name... usually only midway cos I can never get enough of that intro. :love:
Stuck In A Moment
All Because Of You

I've never understood the fuss over I Still Haven't Found...

Decent, but I have trouble believing that it's one of their biggest hits ever. I must admit though, I'm liking it more since the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony.

Elevation, without a doubt.

The others... They're not bad songs. I'm personally just sick of hearing them.

I Will Follow
New Year's Day
Pride
And maybe Sunday Bloody Sunday

...................................................................................................................Heartland...................................................:ohmy:

[edited by KhanadaRhodes - vertical scroll]

Last edited by a moderator:
With Or Without You.... is a song with 4 simple and repetitive chords, why people love it so much?

others:
Pride
Elevation
Bad (it's an amazing song, but the adoration about this song is sick)

Last edited:
Jack In The Box said:
With Or Without You.... is a song with 4 simple and repetitive chords, why people love it so much?
i used to have that opinion. then one day i heard it on the radio, and all of a sudden, something clicked. for me, i heard the emotion in bono's voice towards the end. you know, where he's like "ohhhhh ohhhh with or without you" (okay that sounds stupid, but you know what i mean, hopefully). now i like it. it's still not my most favourite song but i can appreciate it now.

Back
Top Bottom