U2 song memory association

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Desire4Bono

Refugee
living in a rock and roll fantasy- and what's wron
Does this ever happen to anyone else? A song will come on, and sometimes it will take on the whole feel of a memory it brings to mind- complete with the sights, sounds, and smells. It can take you back to where you were and what you were doing. It's a total rush. Are there any U2 songs that do this for you? Tell your story!

------------------
I've seen his baby blue eyes in the freeze frame so many times I feel like I'm his very best friend~~~~

'Who's gonna ride your wild horses' always reminds me of the time I went to the beach at midnight with my mate. It was cold, windy and the salty smell of the sea could be inhaled easily *sigh* that was a beautiful night
smile.gif

It's 80sU2isBest's favorite too, that's one of the few things we seem to agree on right 80s?
wink.gif

Rejoice - I used to spend summers at my Uncle's place, and took my October tape to listen to Gloria over and over, and 'discovered' Rejoice, so this song reminds me of summers there.

The fly - will always remind me of my best friends brother, who asked me what I thought of the 'new' U2, and my first reaction was to say it reminded me of Neneh Cherry.???

Mofo - Reminds me of my best friend who has become a techno-head, raving and whatever, and he totally loves this song, and one night in the parking lot behind a bar, we pumped out the Mexico version for a while, dancing and crap.

Beautiful Day - reminds of the momentous decision to leave my home country and come to America. A few months later, I was watching the new video here.... the last few chords will ALWAYS remind me of my first times here.

I'll just share a few...

"A Sort of Homecoming": I listened to this song the first time I drove back to my hometown by myself after I had to move away. Everytime I hear this song, I think about driving on M-35 and turning onto 10th Street in Menominee.
smile.gif

"Numb" & "Lemon": Everytime I hear these songs, I think of my older sister Julie. Whenever I would listen to them, Julie would run into my room and start mocking them. During "Numb", she'd just sit in my room and mumble, and when "Lemon" came on, she would run around screeching "LEEEEEEEEEEMOOOOOOON!!!" *lol*
biggrin.gif

------------------
"I'm nearly great, but there's something missing..."

Wide Awake in America...

I first bought this ep in spring 1990, right after I started driving. I remember driving my dad's oldsmobile ninety-eight (with loud diesel engine accompaniment) with windows down, blasting "bad". It was one of the first solo driving expeditions that i remember, and i met some friends out at a lake out in the country, from which we went to a wooded gulley and had a bottle rocket war. One of those rites of passage...lol.

This album still brings to mind that spring evening, with its humidity, smell of greening countryside, and friends that I've lost track of.

Love Is Blindness

March 2nd 1992 in London Ont. my brother was hit by a police car that ran through a red light. He was killed instantly. The funeral was on a sunday and it was darker that usual with rain and cold winds. After we buried him my other brother and I drove together and it just so happend that 'Love Is Blindness' stated to play on the CD player as we drove away from the grave site. For 10 years all I had to do was hear the opening organ to the song and the disbeleif and lump in my throat would all come back to me. It still hurts to listen to it.

I get depressed when I hear Walk On, especially a live version, because I associate that with the end of an Elevation show
frown.gif

I suffered from a very bad case of Post-Elevation-Syndrome after Vegas because that was my third and final show and I knew it was the end of the line. I will always think of Walk On that way.

Originally posted by Bono's American Wife:
I get depressed when I hear Walk On, especially a live version, because I associate that with the end of an Elevation show
frown.gif

I suffered from a very bad case of Post-Elevation-Syndrome after Vegas because that was my third and final show and I knew it was the end of the line. I will always think of Walk On that way.

*sniff sniff!*

Red Hill Mining Town always rememinds me of playing softball with my dad
smile.gif
. And Streets always slaps a silly smile on my face because it reminds me of my first (and only) U2 concert. I get absolutely *giddy* every time I hear that song - studio version or live.

"The Unforgettable Fire" always reminds me of Slane, with the fireworks and everything. Whenever I hear it I remember just standing there, watching the fireworks, and just being on this amazing high. I always feel like I'm back there every time I listen to that song now
smile.gif

"Kite," "IALW" and "Wild Honey" all bring back memories of when I was on holiday last year, and I would listen to them over and over. In fact I would listen to the whole album over and over, but those three are the ones that bring back the memories.

"Beautiful Day" takes me back to a beautiful weekend I had in Orlando, Florida, 2001.
"Staring at the Sun" reminds me of the move to Florida and of the sadness of not being able to see U2 at Joe Robbie Stadium in 1997.
"With or without You" takes me to Queens Village, New York. I was a year out of HS and I had a part-time job and my brother enlisted in the Navy. I could go on forever but songs do take you back in time.

Back
Top Bottom