U2 song: "Jesus Christ"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pukebreath

The Fly
Why is it that no one here ever talks about a cover song U2 did called Jesus Chirst. I got it yesterday at HMV. It's dope as hell. Skinny Bono (1988) sounds like a gospel singer on it. He scratches and claws at the music the way that fat Bono (2002) can't.

Is anyone else familiar with this recording? I think it was done during the Sun Sessions.

I think I used to have an MP3 of it, but I can't recall the tune offhand.

BTW...

Fat Bono????? You better not let PLEBA girls see you callin' Bono fat! Some aren't very forgiving!
biggrin.gif

------------------
"Frisbetarians believe that when they die their soul goes up on the roof, and they can't get it down."

Bonochick's Place

i dont understand what you mean by fat bono. look at some of the other bands that are around. all the members of u2 still look great.

"jesus christ" is a pretty good song. an old girlfriend of mine brought this to my attention and i think its great.

I'm giving pukebreath
confused.gif
the benefit of the doubt and I'm thinking the poster meant "fat lady" voice that Bono uses in songs like "Lemon" rather than fat Bono. Bono has refered to his falsetto crooning as the "fat lady" voice.

------------------
What are we going to do now It's all been said,
No new ideas in the house and Every book has been read....

[This message has been edited by u2loopy (edited 05-06-2002).]

No, I meant overweight.

He's 40+ and drinks like a fish. He's lucky a beergut is his only problem. He's gonna get wetbrain if he's not careful.

But the song is the point of the post.

Originally posted by Hallelujah Here She Comes:
Great song.

And while Bono may have a bit extra around the middle section, I wouldn't call him "fat"

He doesn't work out a lot like he did during Popmart, but he isn't fat -- just a little pudgy, but he still looks great.

------------------
"You must not look down on someone just 'cos they are 14 years old. When I was that age I listened to the music of John Lennon and it changed my way of seeing things, so I'm just glad that 14 year olds are coming to see U2 rather than group X." - Bono, 1988

Popheart.org

Bono's always been a bit pudgy. I've seen some photos of him shirtless during the UF era - not exactly Mr. Svelte there. He seems to gain and lose weight a fair amount.

UF - slightly pudgy
JT - more fit
ZOO TV - slightly pudgy
POP - more fit
ATYCLB - slightly pudgy

So I guess we'll have a "more fit" Bono next.
biggrin.gif

As for the song, I actually disagree completely. I think Bono's vocals now would do this song justice FAR better than the screaming voice he used back then. Back then, he was learning to sing with soul. Now he HAS soul. I'd love to hear him do this song now.

P.S. This song came out on a Guthrie tribute album back in '86 (I believe). I have the original CD.

[This message has been edited by doctorwho (edited 05-06-2002).]

I don't think I would even call Bono slightly pudgy at all. Of course he is not as rail thin as he was in the early 80's. That's because he grew up. I mean I can see comparing over the years...like I said he is not as thin as he has been but a gut? or pudgy?! I wouldn't say so at all but that is just me
wink.gif

Back to the song...although I have nothing to add
wink.gif
I got it off the radio in 97...is that the one that is off a Woody Guthrie (?) tribute album...A Vision Shared or something?

sorry, doctorwho...evidently I am blind and missed what you said about guthrie, ahh well...great minds think alike
wink.gif

[This message has been edited by U2morrow (edited 05-06-2002).]

[This message has been edited by U2morrow (edited 05-06-2002).]

nowt wrong with a bit o' meat on a guy
biggrin.gif

oh and the song's quite good too, got it on vinyl tho haven't listened to it for years
------------------
Tanya

Being one can be great but respecting differences can be greater. - Bono in Belfast, August 26, 1997

[This message has been edited by Bonovation (edited 05-06-2002).]

Another one of my favorites.

Speaking strictly of the techinical side of the music, this is one of the better songs they've done. Bono's voice is classic 80's Bono, and Larry's drumming is just pounding.

But...for the best "80's Bono," It's GOT to be Christmas (Baby Come Home)! He's amazing in that one.

-Mike

Originally posted by pukebreath:
No, I meant overweight.

He's 40+ and drinks like a fish. He's lucky a beergut is his only problem. He's gonna get wetbrain if he's not careful.

If the song was the point of the post, why take a shot at him in the first place? Why not just say "Bono scratches and claws in '88 the way he can't today"?

Bono can be pretty goofy at times and there are a number of things to pick on him about; being fat isn't one of them because, frankly, he's not. Maybe a bit overweight. Maybe even a bit pudgy around the middle. Fat? Hardly.

How can Bono stay thin when certain foods are so tempting..

Like..

333%3A242%3B23232%7Ffp7%3Enu%3D3235%3E7%3A8%3E573%3Ewsnrcg%3D323238%3B84%3B7%3A%3Anu0mrj

FAST FOOD!

------------------
The more of these I drink the more Bono makes sense.. - Bean from the KROQ Breakfast with U2.

Originally posted by doctorwho:
not exactly Mr. Svelte there

doctorwho? May I call you Mr. Svelte? Good, cos now I'm going to.

------------------
I did my best, it wasn't much
I couldn't feel so I learned to touch
I've told the truth, I didn't come to fool you

Originally posted by doctorwho:

UF - slightly pudgy
JT - more fit
ZOO TV - slightly pudgy
POP - more fit
ATYCLB - slightly pudgy

So I guess we'll have a "more fit" Bono next.
biggrin.gif

LMFAO doctor is everything in life to you charts and numbers? I just found this post highly amusing.

------------------
Long live the lemon!!!

The guy's not the least bit fat. If he has pudge, maybe here's a reason why...

...he's gonna be 42 years old. He's over the hill. It's normal.

I love how people like to put celebrities up on such pedestals.

Now, how would he look without the dye job? Pure gray? What does everyone think?

Originally posted by BEAL:
I am the fattest man alive

HA! Not even close!

You so skinny, you hula hoop with a cheerio.

You so skinny, you have to wear a belt with spandex.

You so skinny, you got you ear pierced and died.

You so skinny, you use a tea-bag as a pillow.

And even worse...

You so hairy you almost died of rugburn at birth.

You so hairy Bigfoot is taking your picture.

Originally posted by pukebreath:
No, I meant overweight.

even though the song is the point of the post I enjoyed the overweight bit more

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

Originally posted by mbi16:
LMFAO doctor is everything in life to you charts and numbers? I just found this post highly amusing.

I didn't think that particular post was about "charts and numbers" (although, CLEARLY, that IS what life is all about
biggrin.gif
). Still, can you deny the trend there?

*sees the PLEBA ladies already drooling over the thought of a slightly "more fit" Bono on the next album.
wink.gif

Bono was never really "thin" IMO, he was always a stocky little bloke, and considering that men with his type of body shape generally tend to look like big square stuffed suitcases by the time they're over 40, he's doing great. And he was way more overweight in the "Stay" video than now. Anyways, I'll take a "pudgy" Bono over Steven Tyler or Mick Jagger any day,
smile.gif

How many posts in this thread have been about the song, and how many have been about Bono's weight?

Get thee to PLEBA...

Originally posted by paxetaurora:
How many posts in this thread have been about the song, and how many have been about Bono's weight?

Get thee to PLEBA...

Well, the weight thing is just more interesting! hehe

And anyway, I don't believe I've heard this song before...The person who started this thread was askin' for it with the "fat Bono" comment!

------------------
"We're one, but we're not the same..."

http://U2Baby.com

Back
Top Bottom