U2 song called One Minute Warning?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lise

Acrobat
In the stillness of the evening, when the sun has
I don't know if this question has been asked before, I'm relatively new in this forum. Has anyone ever heard of a U2 song called "One Minute Warning"? It's from a movie called "Ghost in the Shell". Am I the only one who has never heard of this film or U2 song? If anyone knows where I can hear the song please post. Thanks.
Here is the link of the movie review in which I heard of this song http://www.suntimes.com/ebert/ebert_reviews/1996/04/04122.html

In 1995, U2 and Brian Eno formed a new group called The Passengers. They created an album full of ambient and experiemntal music for movies real and imagined.

Originally posted by Flaming Friar Sr:
yep its no 9 on that passengers cd you hardly listen to

Hardly listen to? I actually listen to Passengers quite a bit. I think there's a lot of beautiful compositions there. It's easy to discount it because it's not purely a "U2" album. But when you consider Passnegers was 80 percent made by U2 members (using logic that 4 out of 5 members were U2 members), it's still very much a U2 work.
In the continuum of U2's career, I think it's as significant as any other album. You can see the effect the amiant experiments had on future works. "Velvet Dress" could have come straight off Passengers. A lot of the "All That" songs have a layer of atmospherics that makes the songs feel like they exist in a world of their own.
Alternate the tracks from Passengers and "All That," and you're really in for a sonic adventure.

[This message has been edited by MixingBliss (edited 01-18-2002).]

I love the Passengers CD (sorry, Larry...*lol*).
biggrin.gif

------------------
"Baby...can we still be friends?"

Hi Lise. I replied to this question in the other forum (Where the Album Has a Name) but in case you miss it, I'll reply again here, with some added information for those who aren't familiar with the album.

As others have already stated, this song is not really a U2 release, despite how it's credited on Roger Ebert's web site. It's a release from The Passengers, a group consisting of all four members of U2, as well as Brian Eno, Howie B., Holi and Pavarotti. This group released an album called "Original Soundtracks 1" in 1995. The album features the song "Miss Sarajevo" and "Your Blue Room" - two of the most U2-sounding tracks on the release. However, the remaining 12 tracks on the album are far more ambient, with about 1/2 not featuring any vocals. The songs were recorded as if they would appear on soundtracks to films. Some songs were inspired by real films, others by "imaginary" films. At times, the members of U2 created films or credits to the songs based on acronyms of their own names.

If "Your Blue Room" sounds familiar to you, that's because it was a b-side to "Staring at the Sun." This song also features Adam's first solo speaking performance ever recorded on an album.

"Miss Sarajevo" was the hit single from this album. While the song never appeared in the U.S. Billboard Hot 100, it did reach #6 on the U.K. charts - a far higher ranking than some of U2's more famous releases (for example, "One" only reached #7 on the British charts, and "Angel of Harlem" only reached #9). "Miss Sarajevo" is the track that features Pavarotti - and is my personal favorite on this album. Bono wrote this incredibly elegant verse, which was translated into Italian, for Pavarotti to sing. It is truly outstanding. Even in English, the lyrics are amongst Bono's most elegant.

The album, "Original Soundtracks 1" - often abbreviated as OS1 by fans - went to #12 on the U.K. charts and #76 on the U.S. charts. Typically, at position #76, that's about 20,000 copies sold. So while the album was far from a huge success, it did register a blip on the charts.

Of course, one main reason the album failed to become a huge hit is the fact that U2 insisted it not be released as a U2 album. U2 felt that doing so would be unfair to their fans (as the album was far more Brian Eno influenced than U2 influenced). Without the U2 name behind it, the album received virtually no promotion - only fans knew of the album.

During a "Pop" promotion interview on ABC, Larry discussed the album - he felt it was very self-indulgent. This is most likely because of how experimental the album was. As I stated above, many songs were instrumental. The group was called "The Passengers" because of Brian Eno's heavy influence on the project. It was thought that the members of U2, as well as Holi, Howie B. and Pavarotti, were "passengers" along for the "ride" created by Eno. Although Larry felt the work was indulgent, Bono, in the same interview, felt that Larry should be more "open-minded."
biggrin.gif

Lastly, there is a promo for this album, which is a CD of a radio discussion of this album. This promo is really for the true collectors, but it does feature one unique snippet. As stated above, Pavarotti sings an operatic verse in Italian on "Miss Sarajevo." Before Pavarotti was signed on to this project, Bono attempted this operatic verse. The promo contains just a snippet (not even 10 seconds) of Bono's performance - but I must say, he does a great job! Much like it would be interesting to hear Bono's version of "The Wanderer," I would like to hear Bono's version of "Miss Sarajevo." Perhaps when U2 finally open up their "vaults," we'll get to hear these goodies.
biggrin.gif

This album should be readily available in stores (often under the U2 section, even though technically it isn't a U2 release). If not, you can buy it on-line (from places like cdnow.com). You can find it at CDNow.com here.

Hope this helps!

Oh - one more thing. To date, there has been no "Original Soundtracks 2." If Larry has his way, there most likely never will be. LOL! However, Edge has hinted at this possibility several times over the years. If an OS2 is ever released, it may have the same lower sales as OS1, but it will most likely become another critical darling for U2. When OS1 was released, critics praised U2 for their efforts in such a project. Despite the "experimental" nature of AB and "Zooropa" (a trend that was also continued on "Pop"), OS1 features U2 at their experimental extreme. This fact wasn't overlooked by critics who lauded the fact that a group as huge as U2 would allow themselves to explore such new musical territory (something most bands with U2's fame would not venture to risk).

[This message has been edited by doctorwho (edited 01-19-2002).]

remember the popmart press conference in nyc when bono couldn't remember what passengers was called?
that was pretty funny.
ha
ha
ha!

------------------
one cannot be betrayed if one has no people.

My son was telling me there is an Irish heavy metal band called "One Minute Warning"..well they are from an island near Ireland or some such thing...no not Great Britain. I suppose that may be where they got the name from.

woops, no they are not called that, "OneMinute's Silence" my mistake...missed by that much

[This message has been edited by cass (edited 01-19-2002).]

Back
Top Bottom