U2 sometimes performs to a 96 track recording??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Basstrap

ONE love, blood, life
I have a friend who go to Recording Arts Canada. and she told me her lecturer did sound for two toronto shows.

He told the class

"uring live shows, they play along, and sometimes just mimic a 96 track recording that gets boosted to them through the sound truck outside wherever they play"

------------
a 96 TRACK RECORDING?!?!? thats insanely high!! How do they manage? is it necessary??
how do you feel about that?
Wouldn't you rather they took a more "raw" approach?

------------------
I'm not living
I'm just killing time

Well, I don't see why he would lie to the class or why she would lie to me!

I take it that this wouldn't please you if it were true?

------------------
I'm not living
I'm just killing time

People lie all the time and I doubt U2 would take someone from Toronto to do their sound when they have had Joe since 1981! I'll believe it if the band or Joe comes out and says it.

Originally posted by STING2:
People lie all the time and I doubt U2 would take someone from Toronto to do their sound when they have had Joe since 1981!

Im pretty sure Joe isnt the only guy who works on sound each night!

Well since this is true, I imagine Beautiful Day, Elevation and all of the other 2000+ material was created back in the mid 90's perhaps during the Zooropa days?

Well regardless, I do believe U2, particularly during Beautiful Day use pretaped material. If you watch the dvd, watch bono sing all the colors came out. Um, ya...ok...

Whatever, I dont care. Im sure every band does something along these lines every once in a while.

I know they use some prerecorded bits to make them sound better, but that doesn?t mean, that U2 are just mimicing.

I think they play their instruments life but get some additional sounds (like second and third guitars) from other sources. And I don?t have a problem with that

------------------
I'm a bass player. That's a "singer" question. Lord Adam Clayton

"The bass player's got it. The bass player's fucking got it." Bono, Boston 6-9-01

[This message has been edited by AM (edited 03-22-2002).]

The question is whether the tracks are just played in their ear pieces or played to the audience.

I can highly envision a scenario where the music is just played to them through an ear piece. This would allow them to remain in a a certain key and even help them remember words, beats and notes.

The system isn't perfect as often Edge will play the wrong notes or be in the wrong key or the rhythm section is off to Edge's playing (or vice versa). These are real mistakes - U2 actually restarted a song at one concert I attended - so, clearly no mimicking there. Bono also forgets lyrics. Therefore, I believe that the track is there to guide U2, but to say that U2 are virtually "lip-synching" and "air-guitaring" to it is incorrect.

It is possible that your professor did not lie, but misunderstood why this tape was used. While U2 clearly play live each time, they do bring in backing tracks (like organs - especially for "Streets...") and backing vocals (like in "Beautiful Day"). This is because these are studio effects that are difficult to recreate live. Some fans may argue that they would rather hear a live only version - but then, would "Streets..." really sound the same without that organ intro? Would "Beautiful Day" sound right without that "when the colours come out...day/day/day" choir like chorus? There is a balance between the studio and live versions and sometimes the two do have to meet.

Therefore, I do feel your professor is right - tracks are there - but they aren't quite used as he thinks. And, as a person who spent WAY too many years in school, I know that our beloved professors aren't always right - don't trust *everything* they say. :)

U2 do use sequencers when they play live. Bad & Beautiful Day are 2 examples but they only use them as if they were an accompanist, instead of using an additional member added to the band. They all play their primary instruments live. I do think that occasionally Edge will sequence an additional guitar part occasionally, as in Elevation, but for the most part, I think they are sounds essential to the essence of the song. I like the fact that it is still the 4 of them without additional members.

Originally Posted By doctorwho:
I can highly envision a scenario where the music is just played to them through an ear piece. This would allow them to remain in a a certain key and even help them remember words, beats and notes...

While U2 clearly play live each time, they do bring in backing tracks (like organs - especially for "Streets...") and backing vocals (like in "Beautiful Day"). This is because these are studio effects that are difficult to recreate live. Some fans may argue that they would rather hear a live only version - but then, would "Streets..." really sound the same without that organ intro? Would "Beautiful Day" sound right without that "when the colours come out...day/day/day" choir like chorus?

The earpieces are used for monitors. Different band members have different sounds in their earpieces. For example Bono would have more of his own vocals then the other sounds. He also has a piano track in there playing on every note change so he can stay on key. Larry has a click track so he can keep the beat, and he would have more of Adam then Edge cause Edge is always on a different timing. So this "92 track recording" is not being played through their earpieces.

I agree they have other sounds going on as they play. But i don't believe that they are recordings. Some sounds are from MIDI sequencers, like the intro for Bad. Now some of you may say that that is just a recording. But they have to be activated by either Edge, Des, or Dallas in the underworld. So to me that still makes the concert a live performance. As for the part in Beautiful Day, I believe Edge is singing "DAAAAAAAY" during the break and in other parts in the song.

I don't belive that professor about that "92 track rercording." Mostly cause everything U2 plays live is tuned down 1/2 step, and other songs are played in different keys (eg. The Fly, and UTEOTW) and that wouldn't work with the "92 track recording".

------------------
"Yep...Silver and Gold!!!" - Bono

We'll Shine Like Stars In The Summer Nights...

First off, I agree. I kjnow they have been using tracks and it doesn't bother me...but 96 tracks seems almost impossible!!!

secondly,
Your so full of shit I can smell it here!

Thank-you for that kind statement Mr.inbred.

------------------
I'm not living
I'm just killing time

I agree w/ what most of Doctorwho had to say...

Yes there are tracks that aren't "live." Who didn't know that? Edge lip synchs to a few background vocals, i.e. Beautiful Day. Isn't that obvious? Same w/ Bono and the whoo hoo's at the beginning of Elevation. No big deal. The over-all package is very much the real thing.

Besides, 92 tracks? That's a hell of a lot more tracks that most of the studio recordings get. Doesn't make much sense to me.

------------------
Rock 'N Roll is the sound of revenge.

Orginally Posted By Basstrap:First off, I agree. I kjnow they have been using tracks and it doesn't bother me...but 96 tracks seems almost impossible!!!

It's not almost impossible...it is.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Lemonator (edited 03-22-2002).]

LOL this thread is too funny
biggrin.gif
It's a perfect example of how misinformation gets spread. It went from a 96 track to a 92 track in a matter of a few posts.
biggrin.gif

I wonder what the lecturer really said or meant. As an Academic Advisor I can attest to the fact that what I say isn't always what the students hear.

Ooops...sorry my bad...guess i was typing without thinking again.

------------------

Originally posted by STING2:
I doubt U2 would take someone from Toronto to do their sound

are you knocking toronto?!?!
cause toronto can 96 track recording you to kingdom come if it wanted to!

------------------
tell me you feel this fire

I don't have a problem with the sequencer-usage (such as for Bad, or for a lot of beginning parts of Mofo and Until the End of the World)...and i agree with Hawkmoon1021, doctorwho and Lemonator on how U2 uses backing tracks.

I would only have a problem if some of Edge's major guitar parts were done using sequencers or backing tracks. For the most part, he doesn't do that, though i was disappointed to see (in the Elevation DVD) that Edge's guitar intro to Gone (and that piercing guitar lick throughout the song) was sequenced and Edge basically did a lot of rhythm guitar parts (and other guitar fills). I'd hate to see that as a trend for other songs. I think when U2 did Gone at the Free Tibet Concert in 1997, Edge actually played the piercing intro and not use a sequencer.

Actually, i always wished that for live versions of New Year's Day, that they should've had the piano parts played by someone else or as a backing track...only because i'm such a huge fan of Edge's guitar work on the album version of that song... especially all the background guitar stabs during the piano fills.

Originally posted by Lemonator:
The earpieces are used for monitors. Different band members have different sounds in their earpieces. For example Bono would have more of his own vocals then the other sounds. He also has a piano track in there playing on every note change so he can stay on key. Larry has a click track so he can keep the beat, and he would have more of Adam then Edge cause Edge is always on a different timing. So this "92 track recording" is not being played through their earpieces.

Don't get "snippy" with me.
biggrin.gif
I was just offering a possibility of how a 92 track recording could be used.

As for the part in Beautiful Day, I believe Edge is singing "DAAAAAAAY" during the break and in other parts in the song.

I disagree here. First, I've seen some live footage where Edge isn't even singing, yet the "Daaay" part is heard. Second, unless the Edge has the ability to become multiple people, I doubt he could reproduce the "choir effect" of that part of the song by himself.
wink.gif

Edge is a great backup singer, it's obvious though that when he is singing back up on Beautiful Day that his vocals are being put through a mic effect. It's not a big deal he's still singing live, and I think the effect is kind of cool.

------------------
The more of these I drink the more Bono makes sense.. - Bean from the KROQ Breakfast with U2.

I think Edge tries to show that he's singing the "daayyyy" part, though he's probably trying to match his live voice with a backing track (and i think he actually says "alwaaaays"...especially at the Superbowl...er...they did sing Beautiful Day at the superbowl, right?...it's becoming a blur). Sometimes he times it right and sometimes he doesn't...i think at SNL he missed his first "daayyy" (or "alwaaaays")...you see him try to catch up to the mic the second time around. I think he was fine on farmclub.com and others.

Right, thx.

On an aside, i hope the next full album really does have some Edge lead vocals...some of his singing on the Elevation DVD really whet my appetite (i.e. the last part of IALW, and his "wo wohs" on Stay).

this is such a ludicrous thread.

the insinuation here is that U2 don't play live or sing live.

anyone who has been to a concert of theirs or listened to any bootleg will know how much nonsense this is.

of course some parts are sequenced. there are four people on stage, they would have to have 17 pairs of hands to do it all. and yes, there are additional musicians underneath the stage to fill in at certain parts. but anyone who is a half-interested fan of U2 or indeed music in general will know that is commonplace at almost all gigs, whether it be overt or covert (good words, i think you will agree).

I agree wholeheartedly with Bullet the Blue Sky

Also I am a musician and, while U2 does use some extra sounds- 90% or so is played live....which is about 75% more than most "professional" musicians nowadays

There is nothing wrong with "some" pre-recorded sound to enhance a performance

Your music teacher is full of it!

Most studios/professional musicians only use a 48 track recorder in the studio.....

also try to imagine how many different sounds you would have to have to fill 90+ tracks.....what, is U2 going to have 45 tracks of "organ" for the Streets intro.......after a certain point, even if you quadruple track one sound....it's not going to "enhance" it (beyond a certain point) and make it sound better...it will just blend together and make ONE sound....

Some people will just believe anything......

Oh and by the way, I was at a Dave Matthews Concert and they play to 128 pre-recorded tracks!......

Oh, but that's nothing, Britney Spears sings to a pre-recorded backing of 302 tracks!

Ok, I'll stop......sorry (in advance) if I offended anyone with my comments

If you watch teh tech tv special teh did on u2..they into the specs of the sound equipment...and I never heard anything about 96 channels...that would ahve caught my ear

I can tell you right now this story is a crock of shit. As far as instruments and vocals U2 play and sing everything live and that is what ends up in the ear moniters, mixing desk, PA and the ALD's. They have some backing sequencing like on Bad, and the organ on Streets. The only backing that Bono gets was on the Whoo Hooos for Elevation and he was still singing over the top of them live, it was just for added punch. The also all use a metronome device to help keep time. But that is it.

U2 has their own soundcrew who have been with them for years. No just Joe O'Herlihy. The only local help they get is with the venues sound system (ie ALD feeds). They have nothing to do with the actual stage, PA and mixing desk set up. That is all the U2 crew.

Edge is without a doubdt singing live. Listen to one of his feeds one time. There is NO doudbdt.

[This message has been edited by Blue Room (edited 03-22-2002).]

Back
Top Bottom