U2 should watch out for Keane!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
LED ZEPPELIN needs to come back to life and put an end to all emo bands!! !!:rockon: :rockon: :rockon:
yes that includes the current U2!! sad i know
vertigo is not rocknroll !!!
just because it is a bit loud does not make it rocknroll!!
i think STAY is more rock than any thing on atyclb and bomb!!

Led Zeppelin coming back might be more likely than Guns n' Roses coming back, actually.

'Is it any wonder' that Kevin Godley directed the video with a mobile camera zooming all around the place? Seems familiar.....

It's a pretty good song though. Better than their other whiney shit.

onyourkneesboy said:
Where U2 dropped several stitches on their last album, Keane picked them up!

Keane latest album: Under The Iron Sea:

Tom Chaplin (Keane's leadsinger): Voice of an angel!
Song structures: Beautiful and lasting
Emotion: Spine tingling/goosebumps!
Sound: very full and colourfull

And yes I know: Is It Any Wonder has kind of a U2 sound in it's intro, but they done it well.
The rest of the songs on the album are very high-standard and "take you to some other place" like U2 once used to do. Listen to songs like: The Frog Prince, A Bad Dream, Atlantic, Try Again, Crystal Ball,.. and a fantastic B-side (of Is It Any Wonder): Let It Slide!

If you really like to feel the old rollercoaster-rush again we once got from U2 songs:
Try to find "Let It Slide" on some P2P or some other download site!

With this album Keane's a real thread for U2 is it's current shape!

Theres no need to watch out, I work in a record store and Keane dosent sell so well.

And I think that Coldplay's populairity will be smaller.

Keane kinda suck, but the new single isn't bad. At least this time they are doing a more interesting U2 imitation. :evil:

Last edited:
shaun vox said:
LED ZEPPELIN needs to come back to life and put an end to all emo bands!! !!:rockon: :rockon: :rockon:
yes that includes the current U2!!

...U2 is an emo band??? :huh: that's news to me...

omg i hope keane doesnt beet u2 up :( u2 needs to watch out, if other bands make music then u2 wont be popular n e more :(

AtomicBono said:

...U2 is an emo band??? :huh: that's news to me...

Shaun vox's logic:

Emo = shit
U2 = shit
Therefore, emo = shit = U2, or more directly, emo = U2.

Make sense now? :wink:

nightninja56 said:
Keane has a bass player, just no electric or acoustic guitars

they use synthesizers though

and U2 and Keane have different styles, a true comparison is just not possible

U2 - songs known all over the world for years and years
Keane - couple of songs known by like 1/10 of the people that know of U2 songs
keane only have a drummer, lead singer, and keyboard player

no bass or guitar

Well, at least they're better than Coldplay. Less whining, more synth.

Wish they'd hire a fucking bass player though so they don't have to rely so heavily on backing tracks live to fill out the bass and background sound.

Canadiens1160 said:
Well, at least they're better than Coldplay. Less whining, more synth.

Wish they'd hire a fucking bass player though so they don't have to rely so heavily on backing tracks live to fill out the bass and background sound.

Maybe Tom can pick up some lessons and make himself useful during long instrumental breaks. :hmm:

U2 have nothing to worry about. Keane is not bad, but they're boring - don't know any other way to put it.

Comparing Keane to U2 now, is like the people who told U2 to watch out for Crowded House back in '88.

Sure, like Crowded House, Keane has some good songs and I enjoy them. But U2 can rival the all time greats in body of work. Tell Keane to come back after their 20 years of output and then we can review.

jacobus said:
keane is at the same boring level as it is the whining combo of coldplay, the whining james blunt and i have to say it u2 with their last 2 middleoftheroad albums.
all this boring stuff is music for the malls and supermarkets :down:

HOLA !!!:yes: it's been a long time, isn't it? ;)

... I'm not going to post anything about Germany 2006 World Cup ... :(

I think Keane is good and has tremendous potential, but I think they have alot to learn from U2, and need many more years of experience under their belts. Maybe they should read some of U2 books? :shrug:

YBORCITYOBL said:
I actually saw Keane open for U2 a few times and was quite impressed by these guys. I haven't heard any of the new stuff from them but I look forward to checking it out.

I heard Keane open for U2 as well, and I thought they were horrid. And I was so disappointed - I was expecting the next big thing. Maybe my expectations were too high - or maybe their next album will impress.

As for groups being influenced by U2, geez, there most be tons! And who wouldn't be? These young artists grew up with U2. What did they see and hear? A group that was unique and often ran against the trend in music. They saw and heard diversity. And they saw a wildly successful group, in terms of sales and awards. So who wouldn't be influenced by this? For example, I'm listening to Pretty Girls Make Graves and their song "The Nocturnal House". There is heavy use of the echo effect in that song - in fact, when I first heard the opening few licks at a store, I thought it was some U2 playing in the background until I heard it better! But are the Pretty Girls... the next U2? Uh, no. But they may have been influenced by U2.

And this is what really annoys me about this thread. The very first post stated that "U2 dropped a few notches on their last album". Excuse me? This was written as if it was a fact. IMO, HTDAAB was U2's best since AB! Please don't state your opinion as if all agree or insist that some other group is "picking up" for U2! Thank you! :D

Last edited:
onyourkneesboy said:

Yeah, maybe!! So what???

Everytime anyone tends to have a little critic about U2 you turn up trying to prohibid anyone from saying something you might not like! Seems like you want to put in some kind of censurship in a democratic forum.
As long as we all yell: Halleluja, Halleluja, U2!, everything fine with you, I guess? I don't hear you complaining about thread 100.000 in which U2 get praised by kissing-up fans who behave like little schoolgirls and like every fart U2 might put on cd, while in reality things could be a lot better!

Even if I'd like to post 5000 of these kind of threads, I'm fully entitled to it!

So if you don't like them: Don't read them!

In case you have not noticed, this is a U2 FAN WEBSITE! Its perfectly normal and ok for U2 fans to defend against any sort of criticism of the band here. If you don't like that, you don't have to read it, but you should not be surprised by it or attempt to discourage it.

I personally think that Tom Chaplin has more power in his voice that Bono (of course, tom is 20 years younger :hmm: )

Azor said:
I personally think that Tom Chaplin has more power in his voice that Bono (of course, tom is 20 years younger :hmm: )

excellent point :yes: Tom Chaplin has a much powerful and clean voice. His range is amazing :drool: and his singing is more natural and honest than Chris Martin, who has a very limited range :|

I DO like Keane and I hate when someone starts a topic like U2 v/s Coldplay, U2 v/s Keane, etc, etc :mad:

Have you ever wonder what happen in the non-U2 fan sites?. 90% of fans there absolute DESTEST, HATE U2 :ohmy: they say (with a good deal of reason) U2 are the most overhyped, overrated, overplayed band in the history, they're a bunch of sellouts, etc, etc ...

So please next time you write "U2 is the best band in the world and everyone else sucks and try to copy them" try to avoid that extremely narrow point of view. Queen die hard fans will always say that Queen is the best band of the history, same as Pink Floyd fans, Led Zeppelin fans, etc, etc

:wave:

ponkine said:
Have you ever wonder what happen in the non-U2 fan sites?. 90% of fans there absolute DESTEST, HATE U2 :ohmy: they say (with a good deal of reason) U2 are the most overhyped, overrated, overplayed band in the history, they're a bunch of sellouts, etc, etc ...

Utter tripe. I've actually been surprised at the amount of respect for U2 on other forums. I've even noticed it amongst progressive rock/metal fans, even though I expected them to be harshly critical of U2.

Though, to be fair, it's not as if online forums are an accurate sign of much.

Back
Top Bottom