U2 Should Do THIS To Promote Any Future ZooTV/Popmart DVD Release...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

namkcuR

ONE love, blood, life
So, in anticipation of the upcoming U2 IMAX film, I got to thinking...if/when they ever release ZooTV Sydney and Popmart Mexico City on DVD(and I think they should be released together, bundled), they should also allow both films to be released in IMAX and OminiMax(from here on out when I say I IMAX, I'll mean IMAX or OmniMax) theaters everywhere as a promotion and as a once-in-a-lifetime gift to their diehard fans. After all, what could be closer to actually being at a ZooTV or Popmart show than seeing both of them on an IMAX screen and hearing them through IMAX speakers?

Imagine watching ZooTV and Popmart on a gigantic IMAX or Omnimax screen, with video AND audio FULLY remastered(and God knows the audio on ZooTV needs it BADLY). Imagine watching the phrases flashing on the ZooTV screens on an IMAX screen. Imagine watching Macphisto on an IMAX screen. Imagine watching the Popmart Arch and Lemon on an IMAX screen. Imagine watching Bono climbing down the ZooTV screens at the beginning of ZooTV on an IMAX screen. Imagine the band doing their boxing-match Popmart entrance on an IMAX screen. Imagine watching Edge play the ZooTV Bullet solo on an IMAX screen. Imagine watching the Popmart performance of Please on an IMAX screen. Imagine watching RTSS and Please segue into Streets on an IMAX screen. Imagine all of it on an IMAX screen.

And imagine all of the music and speech and sound effects of ZooTV and Popmart coming through the huge speakers in an IMAX theater.

All fully remastered, all on an IMAX screen, all through IMAX speakers.

Now go change your pants :wink:

Last edited:
Remastered, as in cleaned up, yes. That would be a great idea, like for the DVD itself maybe, with additional footage.

I don't think the masters are filmed in the correct format, so I doubt it would have any effect other than having the look of a giant TV screen/movie screen. So it could be Imax or any theatre, it wouldn't matter, right?

There's a process called "DMR" that lets them convert normal films into IMAX ones.

I'd settle for ZooTV or PopMart on a normal theater screen, though. It'd be amazing.

That's one hell of an expensive promotion. I don't think old tours that you can already own on VHS, and will soon be able to own on DVD will draw enough audience to offset the costs.

Well, I saw Zoo TV on a big screen at the Rock & Roll Hall of fame during the U2 ex about three years ago (gosh, that long?..) and it was cool. I could imagine IMAX...

Personally, I'll be happy even if they just splice Tryin To Throw Your Arms Around The World back into the video. It showed during the pay-per-view, and was cut from the VHS release.

But yeah, IMAX would be way cool. Obviously, the Vertigo film will need to do good business if an idea like that is even going to be considered. And if there's money to be made, McGuinne$$ will follow his nose.

To promote them, I would love to see U2 play a one-off show in Sydney with the same set-list as the ZooTV performance, and a show in Mexico with the PopMart setlist. That would be pretty cool...

lazarus said:
Personally, I'll be happy even if they just splice Tryin To Throw Your Arms Around The World back into the video. It showed during the pay-per-view, and was cut from the VHS release.

Well, I think there were legal issues involved with the age of the girl onstage, so I don't think you'll get your wish (which I think is good, as I find TTTYAATW to be thoroughly dull live).

I fear the only way we're going to get a Red Rocks/ZooTV/Popmart release is if U2 have nothing else to release one Christmas. :|

Nah mate , they won't let the 30th aniversary of the band pass without anything special , like with a dvd box and other stuff like their biography . The problem is when they consider to be their 30th aniversary ? Judgin by when it happened 1st meeting and Bono's speech last year , its this year . So who knows , what if Milan really comes along with the box set ? One can hope......

I ahte thes threads because it just reminds me all over again that these amazing shows have not yet been released on dvd. It makes me want them more with no end in sight. Thanks alot namkcuR:laugh:

Hallucination said:
I ahte thes threads because it just reminds me all over again that these amazing shows have not yet been released on dvd. It makes me want them more with no end in sight. Thanks alot namkcuR:laugh:

Yeah talk about some frustration , I think the wait for these dvds is becoming like , in movies dvds boxs so waited , at least the time they were released ´people talked a lot , like star wars or alien , such big waits .

People one of these times , why we just instead of more and more petitions for more vertigo concerts , why not a big massive petition for popmart and zootv finally being released in DVD , it's becoming a joke this , Have u already tried to do this ? In a serious way like Slane ?

I think Zoo TV on IMAX would actually be a bit sickening. I felt queasy just with the panning effects on that old Everest film. Imagine the part where Bono spins the camera around himself during EBTTRT on an IMAX screen. :barf:

GibsonGirl said:
I think Zoo TV on IMAX would actually be a bit sickening. I felt queasy just with the panning effects on that old Everest film. Imagine the part where Bono spins the camera around himself during EBTTRT on an IMAX screen. :barf:

I get a bit queesy during those IMAX films too!

Back
Top Bottom