U2 seriously rocked early on. Seriously

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
phillyfan26 said:
Boy > War

:shh:

Oh yes indeed.

It took me forever to get into Boy but I absolutely love it now, :heart: In terms of songwriting or technical/vocal proficiency U2 were still very much a baby band, but to me Boy's appeal lies in its wonderful freshness and exuberance that can only be found on a debut album of a very young band. There's a real sense of innocence on that record that I find quite touching.

LemonMelon said:

Got that backwards.

Boy is great, but it's just talented kids performing really strong songs. War is a classic.

October is Boy without the songs. :down:

:yes: just switch UF for War as the "third masterpiece".

Man, you people need to listen to War more. :tsk: Straight through.

Utoo said:
Man, you people need to listen to War more. :tsk: Straight through.

but then I'd have to listen to Red Light :yikes:

also Surrender which is overrated. and The Refugee isn't U2's best, though it's fun. 40 is kind of boring.

How can a song be over rated when you go out on the street and ask somebody what it is and they wouldnt have a clue what you are talking about? 99 out of 100 people wouldnt have a clue what Surrender sounds like.

LemonMelon said:

Then I suppose the lyrics would have actually been good.

That still wouldn't cover up the half-written musical ideas, however. :shh:

They had to write lyrics within a very short space of time remember. Groupies stole their goddam lyrics. I wish they'd had them over. I'd love to see what October could've been.

And Zootles, One is on U218 :ohmy: :yikes:

what's the best EARLY show?... you know, where all the songs have cute names like "magic Carpet" or "things to make and do" ???

what's the best show of those and how can I get one?

to hear that solo you talk a lot

:hmm: Chronologically, yes.

Looking at universal recognition/acclaim though, the first masterpiece is JT, the second is AB. There isn't a widely accepted "third masterpiece". Some say UF, some say War, some say Pop/Zooropa, and some suggest either of the last two albums. :shrug:

I've heard very very often that it is ATYCLB.

Though for me there are really only two: Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby. I love them all, but those two are in a class of their own.

Back
Top Bottom