U2 seemed a bit out of form at the Grammy's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wolfwill23

War Child
I thought Walk On was kind of slow and it didn't seem to fit too well as an opener. It even looked like Edge was using a different guitar. However, Bono's voice was right on. But it just seemed like the people weren't really behind the performance.

What do you think?

"Walk On" to me, is a closer....that's how I view it.
I'm glad they opened the show. I liked their choice to play "Walk On", I guess I've heard it so many times, I don't really have an opinion of the Grammy performance.

I thought Bono's voice was startlingly amazing! The band played awesome, but I don't think it really worked as the first song. Seemed odd to me. Still a great performance from them.. nothing they could have really done better, except I think Edge might have hit a tiny wrong note at one point.

That performance sounded better than anything I've seen them do on tv in a while, better "sounding" than the Superbowl, Leno, Letterman, even MTV awards, and much better than last years Grammys. I thought it was flawless, where in contrast I found myself picking apart the SB even though I loved it.

It's a closer to us because we've seen all the shows
wink.gif

I was thinking that too, and it IS that kind of song, but it was what they had to perform and being the greatest got to open the show, that's not a bad thing!

Originally posted by zooropamanda:
Are you guys nuts??
That was the best performance on tv in ages!!!

Sheesh!!!!

I agree. It was almost better than SNL, almost.

------------------

She's a little lightheaded, so check on her in a few minutes -- my podiatrist, about me (again), 2-11-02

Anyone notice Bono's voice crack on "home, hard to say what it is if you never had one..." Seemed like he was very moved.

As I wrote in another thread, I thought "Walk On" was simply brilliant. This was the best I've heard Bono's voice in ages (at least on TV). His singing reminded me of the R&H days - rich, full and powerful, proving the man can still belt it *IF* he actually takes care of his voice.

Now, was it better than SNL? Definitely better than SNL's "Beautiful Day" - but the sheer energy of "Elevation" (especially from Bono - but the jamming session between Edge, Larry and Adam was outstanding as well), even though Bono didn't have his strong voice, is tough to beat.

The SNL performance wasn't a result of Bono having a 'soft voice' that night. SNL is notorious for using weak microphones that make the vocals sound quiet or muddled for most rock acts.

------------------
"You gotta love living, baby, 'cause dyin's a pain in the ass."-- Frank Sinatra

Adam: Look guys, I got a Springfield spoon for my spoon collection.
Edge: Oh boy, here we go...
Bono: Wow, how many is that now Adam?
Adam: Nine. If I didn't have my spoons, I'd go insane.
Bono: Can I see it?
*adam gives bono the spoon, bono throws it away*
Adam: My spoon!

ARE you out of your mind? That performance was the best TV performance I've seen u2 give...Bono's vocals soared on Wednesday and the gospel choir halleleujah's were amazing. I usually pick apart u2 tv performances...but not this one...geez...criticize Bono's speeches, but the performance was awesome

Back
Top Bottom