U2.se : new album rumours

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2girl

Blue Crack Addict
According to u2place.com, a member of the staff of a U2 site from Sweden u2.se, talked to a member of U2 crew in Dublin recently.

This person said a part of U2 is in France (probably Eze) and a part of the band is in London. It is unclear at the time who is in France and who is in London. Some of the material to be recorded was brought over to London, the band want to record different things. The motivation behind this is they will soon have no more time as the Vertigo tour re-starts. It is not known at the time whether the "different things" are video or audio (the word used was "do a shoot"), if this is the recording of the cover with Green Day.

:hmm: Things are happening.

U2girl said:
According to u2place.com, a member of the staff of a U2 site from Sweden u2.se, talked to a member of U2 crew in Dublin recently.

This person said a part of U2 is in France (probably Eze) and a part of the band is in London. It is unclear at the time who is in France and who is in London. Some of the material to be recorded was brought over to London, the band want to record different things. The motivation behind this is they will soon have no more time as the Vertigo tour re-starts. It is not known at the time whether the "different things" are video or audio (the word used was "do a shoot"), if this is the recording of the cover with Green Day.

:hmm: Things are happening.

One of the men who had the equipment to the studio said:

"Some of them are in France i think, and some in the UK. We unloaded some equipment because they will do a shoot in the UK. They won't be back here in a while since they will go out on a tour again soon"

Hmmm..:hmm:

My reading of that is one of two things:

1. Bono is in the UK to do vocal work with the Green Day collaboration

or

2. Edge is in the UK to work in the stuio with Rubin or whomever else on U2 material, kind of like how he did with Zooropa.

:hmm:

guill said:
According to Bono, they are all in London.

Maybe they were in London at the time and now Bono and Edge are working in London with Rubin and Adam and Larry are in France?

U2girl said:

Maybe they were in London at the time and now Bono and Edge are working in London with Rubin and Adam and Larry are in France?

Who knows, although Chris Evans on his radio show a couple of days ago mentioned that they were in town working on their new album. I think he's quite pally with them :shrug: so they may all be here.

guill said:
According to Bono, they are all in London.

According to Bono, The Edge is on fire... again.

Maybe that's why he's bald.

I am pretty certain major work on the next album project won't start until after the conclusion of Vertigo Tour.

The best we can expect is single in next Aug-Sep 07 and Album in Winter 07. I am pretty sure there'd be a few new songs in between resulting from current sessions in London for various non album purposes.

So have any of the London based fans been down to Abbey Road Studio to check if the band are around?

2233 said:
I am pretty certain major work on the next album project won't start until after the conclusion of Vertigo Tour.

The best we can expect is single in next Aug-Sep 07 and Album in Winter 07. I am pretty sure there'd be a few new songs in between resulting from current sessions in London for various non album purposes.

I'd hardly say that's the "best". It's more of a worst case scenario kind of thing.

Remember, the tour ends in December, not May. :|

I'd say the best case scenario would be a new album this spring, but my prediction of for a late fall/early winter release in '07. :yes:

Lancemc said:
I'd say the best case scenario would be a new album this spring, but my prediction of for a late fall/early winter release in '07. :yes:

:up: Mine too. I agree with that completely.

LemonMelon said:
Remember, the tour ends in December, not May. :|

Remember family holidays, DATA, compulsory loss of recorded tracks, scrapping material, changing producers thats usually three months of lost time.

As long as they are a big selling band, U2 will NEVER release an album any other time than October/November. Christmas sales. I don't care if they finish the album in february, they are gonna wait until fall to release it.

:laugh: So let me get this straight. We have a rumor, coming from a supposed unknown "crew" member. Reported by a U2 "fan" site, being reported by another U2 "fan" site. (my uncles, best friends, cousin, works for a guy, who is third cousins with the best friend of a guy whose sister works at Universal who said new album this week!!! Things are happening!!!) :laugh:

Yes, an album MUST be imminent. Computer fan websites say so!! Of course things are happening. U2 are about to hit the road again. Doesnt mean an album is coming anytime soon. In fact, even these "rumors" sound like the beginning stages of any type of recording. Not that they are in the middle of or near the end of recording. I say it again, fall 2008. Tour 2009. That is the most realistic time frame given the circumstances and how U2 typically works IMO. Could it happen in 2007? Maybe next fall, but I just cant see them hitting the road again in 2008 after just getting back off the road again this december. One thing for sure we are at minimum a year away from an album of new U2 songs and I think that is without a doubt the best case scenario.

Last edited:
Blue Room said:
:laugh: So let me get this straight. We have a rumor, coming from a supposed unknown "crew" member. Reported by a U2 "fan" site, being reported by another U2 "fan" site. (my uncles, best friends, cousin, works for a guy, who is third cousins with the best friend of a guy whose sister works at Universal who said new album this week!!! Things are happening!!!) :laugh:

Yes, an album MUST be imminent. Computer fan websites say so!! Of course things are happening. U2 are about to hit the road again. Doesnt mean an album is coming anytime soon. In fact, even these "rumors" sound like the beginning stages of any type of recording. Not that they are in the middle of or near the end of recording. I say it again, fall 2008. Tour 2009. That is the most realistic time frame given the circumstances and how U2 typically works IMO. Could it happen in 2007? Maybe next fall, but I just cant see them hitting the road again in 2008 after just getting back off the road again this december. One thing for sure we are at minimum a year away from an album of new U2 songs and I think that is without a doubt the best case scenario.

Unfortunately, you're right, it's amazing how a sentence and the "who said" becomes a rumour and then a fact. Internet has this things.

On the other hand, I admit that you could be right about timings about the band and releasements, but that means to underestimate the band. Well, the last releasements have succeded like that, but who tells you that it's gonna happen again? How many successful artists are used to fall-releasements and then surprise us with an album in April, in January or the summertime?

I think that a scenary like 1988/9 could happen again. I mean, what if a new album comes soon (let's suppose mid-2007), receives a different kind of marketing and promotion. Then a tour only starts by late 2008 and extends through 2009 until a new releasement.
Not necessarily with this timing, but I mean that something on this way could happen.

The_acrobat said:
As long as they are a big selling band, U2 will NEVER release an album any other time than October/November. Christmas sales. I don't care if they finish the album in february, they are gonna wait until fall to release it.

Do you think there are no other marketable release periods? That's a little ridiculous. If that were the case, record companies would hold back the release of all albums until the pre-Christmas period.

Sure U2 will wait for a financially opportune time to release their album, but theres no reason to assume it has to be Oct/Nov.

Dorian Gray said:

Do you think there are no other marketable release periods? That's a little ridiculous. If that were the case, record companies would hold back the release of all albums until the pre-Christmas period.

Sure U2 will wait for a financially opportune time to release their album, but theres no reason to assume it has to be Oct/Nov.

You are very right about this. If I had a band, I would release my album in the summer. Less competition for sales and for a #1 debut, and then I would let the album build up a little steam and then get the christmas boost 5 months later. The fall months are a battleground in terms of sales, and while people are buying more music for christmas, more people are also buying music by other artists.

However, every major U2 album (except Zooropa) was either released or intended to be released in the fall before Christmas. Joshua Tree and Pop were slated for release in late '86 and '96, respectively, but were pushed back to the following spring cause they need more time. Bono said once that a successful album should survive 2 christmas seasons on the charts.

The_acrobat said:
However, every major U2 album (except Zooropa) was either released or intended to be released in the fall before Christmas. Joshua Tree and Pop were slated for release in late '86 and '96, respectively, but were pushed back to the following spring cause they need more time. Bono said once that a successful album should survive 2 christmas seasons on the charts.

War isn't a major album? It came out March 1983 and I don't believe it was ever intended to be a late 1982 offering.

Axver said:

War isn't a major album? It came out March 1983 and I don't believe it was ever intended to be a late 1982 offering.

War was not a major release at the time it was released. Since then it has become one of their most defining albums and a classic by all rights, but in 1983 U2 were not a big band. After War picked up some steam, they were a big band.

Blue Room said:

Calm down Nostradamus.

Title thread already says RUMOURS. No one said 2007 definitely but you're the one walking around preaching it's 2008 PERIOD.

Which "typical" U2 album work says 2008? They recorded very fast in 1980s (minus gap between UF and JT), a 3 year gap between RaH and AB, 2 year gap till Zooropa, almost 4 years till Pop (originally planned for 1996 so that would be 3 years again), about 3 years for ATYCLB and Bomb 4+ years (producer problems and disagreement in the band). Bomb is the first album it took over 4 year gap so not really an indicator.
I don't see why going back to the studio after whopping 13 dates is so out of the question either. Yes, they will take time off but I don't see why they can't continue work on the Bomb follow up in Spring 2007 at the latest.

It's too bad Micha Assay or U2.com or members of U2 crew aren't good enough sources for you that U2 is working on the new album in 2006 yet the album is two years away according to you (and they started working with a producer this month even though the beach clips were nothing but demos at best). :laugh:

Last edited:
Actually, the gap is always long.
1987 JT
1991 AB
1997 Pop
2000 ATYCLB
2004 HTDAAB

It's hard to believe that U2 will have an album for the fall of 2007.
Without the break due to the last concerts of Vertigo, no problems.
But they start recording in september 2006, make concerts till the end of the year, they'll be back in studios in january/february, start talking and debating :blahblah: , calling additionnal producers because they spent one month on a song and can't finish it, etc.
Releasing a finished album in 2007 with the Larry/Adam agreement is almost impossible.
I keep the faith though

Back
Top Bottom